D&D 2E [2e] Monster Mythology Update Project

AuldDragon

Explorer
Skiggaret the Deranged One

The last of the bugbear racial deities, Skiggaret the Deranged One is the god of fear, madness, and insanity. He is sent by the other gods of the pantheon to punish tribes or drive them to acts of violence through the fear he brings. He is propitiated by bugbears, but rarely worshiped directly. Those few who do tend to be exiles and wanderers, living on the edge of bugbear society, but too frightening for the members of the tribe to actually kill. Skiggaret was one of the most enjoyable gods I've worked on recently. Enjoy!

Jeff

AuldDragon

Explorer
Bargrivyek the Peacekeeper

With a title like The Peacekeeper, one might expect Bargrivyek to be an exile from the goblin pantheon. One could not be more wrong, however; he preaches peace, not between all races, but between goblin tribes so they can more effectively wage war on non-goblins. His priesthood is of particular importance in large goblin and hobgoblin kingdoms, keeping tribal disputes to a lower key or subtly directing blame from goblins to humans, elves, dwarves, or other nearby enemies. Enjoy!

Jeff

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Jeff, great work as always!

I did notice one small error that crept into Bargrivyek's document. In the first paragraph under "Other Manifestations," it's written "...the head of the Peacekeeper’s while flail..." The word "while" is clearly meant to be "white."

Also, I'm a bit surprised by the friends spell, simply because (if I recall correctly) there's also ready a wizard spell by that same name in 2E. Is this an oversight, or is it meant to be a different version? I'm also slightly leery of spells that grant attribute bonuses, as any way to increase ability scores was exceptionally rare in 2E (ditto for unifiers gaining a +1 to Charisma at 3rd level).

the Jester

Legend
Also, I'm a bit surprised by the friends spell, simply because (if I recall correctly) there's also ready a wizard spell by that same name in 2E. Is this an oversight, or is it meant to be a different version? I'm also slightly leery of spells that grant attribute bonuses, as any way to increase ability scores was exceptionally rare in 2E (ditto for unifiers gaining a +1 to Charisma at 3rd level).

It looks like more or less the same spell to me...

Interestingly, I had misremembered and thought that friends was dropped in 2e; I guess it wasn't until 3e!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It looks like more or less the same spell to me...

Is it? I'll confess that I haven't looked at my 2E materials in a long time, but I thought that the friends spell was a weaker-but-affects-more-creatures version of charm person - it wasn't about making you more affable (e.g. no Charisma increase), but rather enchanting the minds of those around you into liking you.

But as I said, I could be wildly misremembering.

AuldDragon

Explorer
Jeff, great work as always!

I did notice one small error that crept into Bargrivyek's document. In the first paragraph under "Other Manifestations," it's written "...the head of the Peacekeeper’s while flail..." The word "while" is clearly meant to be "white."

Thanks, I missed that!

It's almost the same as the wizard spell, but is slightly modified for use as a priest spell. It's not unheard of for specialty priests to get some wizard spells as actual priest spells, rather than granted powers, as is the case here (Auril is one case, who grants a number of ice-related wizard spells). The primary differences are in the material components and casting time (priest spell equivalents of wizard spells generally have a casting time of 3 higher), and it includes the priestly sphere. Ability score alteration is actually not that uncommon for spells (Friends, Strength, Cat's Grace, Ray of Enfeeblement, etc.), and the bonus to Charisma that Bargrivyek's priests get is taken right out of DMGR4 Monster Mythology.

Jeff

AuldDragon

Explorer
Stalker, the Hateful Shadow

Stalker, the Hateful Shadow is not fully a part of any goblinoid pantheon, but is propitiated in many local pantheons as a god of death, particularly amongst the bugbears. It seeks nothing but death and revenge, hunting after all the goblinoid races and anything else that lives in the dark places. Its rare followers operate in secret, plotting revenge and murder upon their personal enemies. Enjoy!

Jeff

AuldDragon

Explorer
Gaknulak the Trapmaker

Gaknulak the Trapmaker is one of the few goblinkin deities with a primarily constructive aspect, being the kobold god of invention, traps, and protective construction. He is reluctantly subservient to Kurtulmak, and is frequently dragged into Steelscales’ ill-fated plots against the Gnomish gods. Enjoy!

Jeff

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I haven't had a chance to read this yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

One question though, with only two goblinoid deities left (Meriadar and Nomog-Geaya), where will you turn your focus once they're done?

AuldDragon

Explorer
I haven't had a chance to read this yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

One question though, with only two goblinoid deities left (Meriadar and Nomog-Geaya), where will you turn your focus once they're done?

Pretty much going in section order, so I'll be working on the Giantish deities (as well as the interlopers and gnoll deities) next.

Jeff

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases