Learn about D&D organized play options

Alphastream

Adventurer
Great info, but how does a group (say a College Club) gain access to without a host store? LFR is one option I know.
LFR is currently the only one on the list that you can freely and easily run for a group such as a college club. Simply go to the LFR site, download the adventures, make sure PCs are made with the Character Creation Guide (on the same site), and play.

You can also order Living Divine for a fee.

Ashes of Athas had distribution, but we have had some issues. I'll talk about that here.

Encounters and Lair Assault require a store and for the store to have an active WPN program. Stores will often sign up if a gamer talks to them about the program and volunteers (perhaps with friends) to judge. The programs are really good for stores for two reasons. First, if they use WPN for Magic the Gathering, the events really help increase their store's status in the program. Second, the program increasingly is showcasing new content and thus can help increase sales.

In other news, a great preview (minor spoilers) of the Lair Assault season that just started, Kill the Wizard!

Saber6

First Post
thanks. Store support is out (closest is 120 miles away). LFR I have, but was hoping for more. LFR is hard to get people who haven't read the world to "bite" into

Alphastream

Adventurer
thanks. Store support is out (closest is 120 miles away). LFR I have, but was hoping for more. LFR is hard to get people who haven't read the world to "bite" into

One option is the My Realms adventures along with closely related story arcs. You can write/outline a My Realms adventure where you give the PCs the necessary knowledge/hooks/story to send them to Calimshan (perhaps a prophecy about freeing a city). Then you can run the closely nit Calimshan adventures. Another My Realms can be used to bridge Calimshan and another active story arc. The MINI campaigns are another option, since there is a lot of playable content and tightly nit together in a way most players can grasp without much/any FR expertise. Good luck!

Alphastream

Adventurer
I move zig!

Recently Dungeon's Master made a great review of the latest kit for War of Everlasting Darkness.

It features a really interesting and different approach. Some aspects reflect D&D next, such as a more open play style with multiple encounters and options. Others are pretty novel and their own concept, such as each session being a different level.

It is also the close of the story arc. I think the program has done a really good job of making drow iconic for players, though I think it did go a bit long. Having this be just 8 weeks is probably a good idea. (I'm sure opinions will differ, but I do hear some tiring of drow - having these seasons be different in various ways surely helps).

I really like the maps in this kit, and the special reward is pretty cool as well.

Alphastream

Adventurer
This article by Chris Tulach on the Wizards site provides additional information on the upcoming Encounters season.

This part may be of particular interest: "Realms-changing secrets will be revealed and your characters have a chance to participate in an important moment in the transition from the post-Spellplague Realms, to the Realms just prior to the events of The Sundering storyline announced at Gen Con Indy this year. "

Edit: It was clarified over Twitter that where it reads "This final season of D&D Encounters", this is in reference to the drow story arc. There will be additional seasons of D&D Encounters that are non-drow in nature.

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I really like the options and playscale for War of the Everlasting Darkness.

The Council of Spiders hasn't been a big hit with my group, although we've appreciated some of the role-playing. A few players have decided not to play as they're uncomfortable with playing drow.

Alphastream

Adventurer
A few players have decided not to play as they're uncomfortable with playing drow.

I'm actually very impressed with how it has gone. A few years back, I would have guessed that allowing players to play evil drow at cross-purposes with one another would have been disastrous. But, I was really pleased that for most groups it was a fun diversion from normalcy. I had similar experiences with the Dark Sun season, where some groups sought to pursue their own agendas but did so in fun ways (such as at our store: ostracizing the arcane caster, having the arcane caster turn on the party as a result, and everyone having and incredibly healthy and fun time).

But, it clearly isn't something to do often. Having that drow premise I think framed the experience well so it made sense rather than being how groups should always play. I very much enjoyed the experiment and now look forward to returning to playing/running heroes.

Alphastream

Adventurer
I've updated the first post to reflect information on the latest seasons of Lair Assault (Temple of the Sky God, already in progress) and the upcoming Encounter season (Against the Cult of Chaos).

Temple of the Sky God is interesting in that it provides flying mounts as part of what PCs bring into the session. That's a neat element to add to the challenge.

Encounters seems to continue to innovate, which is actually a pretty impressive accomplishment given the format. While not every aspect works perfectly, enough changes each time that gamers are getting different experiences. A review of the previous season at Dungeons Master is worth reading. War of Everlasting Darkness was a very different season and experimented with longer sessions that were far more than the typical 'setup and then fight' norm. An interesting aspect of both LA and Encounters is that recent seasons have been accompanied by comics on the D&D site that provide humor around each session.

This upcoming season has another first. Against the Cult of Chaos is the first to support play with either 4E or the D&D Next edition (using the current D&D Next playtest packet). The option is up to the table. If the table wants to try the new edition the DM can download a conversion sheet made available shortly before the season begins. The season's description below suggests this adventure speaks to one or more classic adventures:

[sblock="Adventure Background: Against the Cult of Chaos"]
An ancient evil stirs in the Caves of Chaos, chipping away at its prison, while the forces of chaos converge on the nearby town of Hommel Lane. Monstrous raiders, marauding bandits, and missing villagers portend a terrible fate for Hommel Lane, and the world, if unchallenged.

This D&D Encounters season takes inspiration from classics such as Village of Hommlet and Against the Cult of the Reptile God. Not only does this new story feature characters and locations from beloved past adventures, but there's another compelling reason to participate.

Two Ways to Play: Of course, there are a great many players who enjoy playing D&D 4th Edition, as well as players excited about the D&D Next Playtest. And so, this upcoming season of D&D Encounters will support both D&D 4th Edition and D&D Next, with conversion rules! This means that during the first week (sometimes known as Session 0) when players typically make their characters, they’ll also need to decide which version of D&D they want to play.

Check back soon for more information and conversion material.

Against the Cult of Chaos is a Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game adventure designed for the D&D Encounters official play program. This season presents you with the opportunity to play out the elements of the story in a sequence that you and your players determine. In this sort of arrangement, the adventurers have more control over their choices during the season, and you have more freedom in tailoring Against the Cult of Chaos to maximize the fun. The season takes characters from levels 1-3.[/sblock]

Dungeon's Master has set up pages providing a gallery of map images from all the maps for D&D Encounters and another for Lair Assault. Excellent for DMs that have these or for folks who want to see what they are missing. I love these maps and use them often in my home games. They are a really nice judge benefit.

And, one last bit. If you want to try out some of the best organized play has to offer, come to the Winter Fantasy convention. Formerly called D&DXP, this convention is one of the best places to play and hang out with top Wizards of the Coast and Paizo staff. And, it will feature the end of the Ashes of Athas campaign. A massive battle interactive on the Sea of Silt will end the campaign with a serious bang as the PCs at all tables work together to end the threat of an awakening primordial. Living Forgotten Realms will feature an interactive, special, and adventures revisiting classic story arcs. Living Divine will provide new adventures. Pathfinder will also be there. And, the convention needs judges - volunteer and they cover your room and badge!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases