Learn about D&D organized play options

Alphastream

Adventurer
Also worth mentioning that the Winter Fantasy convention concluded this past weekend, bringing to a close the Living Forgotten Realms campaign. While a couple of new adventures will be released and play can continue, this was the conclusion for all practical purposes. It was a fantastic finish with great adventures and a very cool battle interactive. Many were clearly moved as the campaign staff spoke to the fans about the conclusion.

pedr

Explorer
Learn about D&D 4E organized play options

Is there any indication that there'll be something new for Gen Con? Event registration is pretty soon, I think. Or do you think it'll all be set-piece events similar to Candlekeep? I'm hoping for a new living-style campaign for 5e!

exile

First Post
I suspect that there will be a new organized play offering for D&DNext at Gen Con, but I have absolutely no information to support this. I certainly hope that there is. I would like to split my time between PFS and a D&DNext living campaign.

On the one hand, I suspect the new living campaign will be set in the Forgotten Realms, maybe in the North and or Baldur's Gate. Baldur's Gate certainly has some nostalgia value what with the computer games and all. I also like to think that the living campaign would tie-in with the Tyranny of Dragons story arc-- cross-promotion and all that.

On the other hand, I could see WotC using the Forgotten Realms for their published/print products and Encounters, but using Greyhawk for a living campaign. LG certainly seemed to have a large following back in the day.

Thoughts? Insider knowledge?

keterys

First Post
Some very good news for Organized Play, as the ENnies awards will now recognize it with two new categories! (This information was on the ENnies site, but it is momentarily down).
Very cool. And I just finished Epic. Nice timing. Not that it has nearly the public attention as other OP events, but getting a few more people reading it would be nifty :)

Alphastream

Adventurer
There were no public announcements at Winter Fantasy, though it was pretty clear that something is in the works. I am hoping for an announcement very soon!

exile

First Post
I am hopeful that such an announcement will predate the release of a GenCon event schedule. I do not want to be left trying to decide between leaving slots open (and how many to leave open) vs registering for games that I would enjoy, but not enjoy quite as much as a new 5E living campaign.

Alphastream

Adventurer
I updated the first post for the latest Dead in Thay article. This announces the upcoming season, launch event, and provides links to the summary Sundering videos.

The solicitation can also be found here, providing the contents of the kit. The big changes this and the current season are sole support for D&D Next (seems to be going well, from my talks with a few stores) and download codes instead of DMs receiving or purchasing adventures. The download code may actually be really well received. Not only do stores not have to front the product, but the digital format makes it easy to print a copy for a walk-up DM.

Dead in Thay looks to be really cool - inspired by famous dangerous dungeons and using some elements seen in Vault of the Dracolich. It should be another really interesting experiment. The program really has broken a lot of new ground and tried many approaches over the years.

The Dead in Thay season runs through May 7th... close but not that close to Summer and Gen Con. It leaves time for an adventure to set the stage for the actual release of D&D Next!

Warunsun

First Post
There were no public announcements at Winter Fantasy, though it was pretty clear that something is in the works. I am hoping for an announcement very soon!
I would like to hear something from someone connected to Organized Play. I understand that many folks would demand a lot of specific details. But a lot of us folks just want to know if something is going to happen. I don't really need any specific details. We can all guess it will use 5E and that characters will be fairly simple to make. :) But it would help a lot of us out with scheduling if some indication of slots was offered up.

I am looking to attend both Origins and GenCon after several years away. I don't want to have a schedule that is going to need tinkering. And I also want to play a lot of non-Wizards stuff as well. Thanks.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I would like to hear something from someone connected to Organized Play. I understand that many folks would demand a lot of specific details. But a lot of us folks just want to know if something is going to happen. I don't really need any specific details.
WoTC Chris Tulach, the guy in charge of Organized Play, asked people interested in future OP to meet him at Winter Fantasy, so it look like something is gonna happen :lol: (its not a lot, but its as best you can get)

@christulach 5 févr.Adventure writers, con organizers & campaign managers: Interested in future #dnd organized play? See me at #winterfantasy or contact me.

keterys

First Post
Yep, there were definitely official sounding meetings at Winter Fantasy.

Hopefully public announcements will be forthcoming.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases