Learn about D&D organized play options

smerwin29

Reluctant Time Traveler
I would like to hear something from someone connected to Organized Play. I understand that many folks would demand a lot of specific details. But a lot of us folks just want to know if something is going to happen. I don't really need any specific details.

Something is going to happen. Look for a call for Organized Play DMs for GenCon in a couple weeks. Not sure when more details will be released about future OP and Living campaign plans by Wizards, but it is a matter of when and not if.

Alphastream

Adventurer
If you are interested in D&D organized play and can do it, consider coming to Gen Con. It is a good bet that there will be a lot of great stuff going down for 5E. And, it is also very possible that DMs for Baldman Games would wind up with a PHB as a reward in addition to the other judge rewards (free badge, free hotel, etc.).

smerwin29

Reluctant Time Traveler
GenCon Call for DMs

To follow up on Teos' point, the call for GenCon DMs and volunteers has gone live on the Baldman Games website. It gives a little bit of information on what Wizards of the Coast is offering at GenCon--presumably coinciding with the release of the new D&D game and the launch of any new Organized Play offerings.

http://www.baldmangames.com/Gencon/genconjudgereg.html

If you have any questions about what DMing for Baldman Games/Wizards of the Coast at GenCon entails, just ask. Any of the veterans can help you out.

Alphastream

Adventurer
PAX East is taking place this weekend. The big focus is an Aquisitions Inc. live game and seminars, but they are also running Candlekeep.

The big news was word that the upcoming organized play campaign will feature factions (a concept first started back with earlier organized play campaigns, such as the Eberron Xen'drik Expeditions (2006-2008)).

And, this page went up with information on the upcoming D&D Launch Event for Dead in Thay. The upcoming Encounters season ties into the previous one, continuing with the machinations of Thay... this time in a deadly dungeon with a new type of play experience... it has been said on Twitter that it has aspects from Vault of the Dracolich.

Alphastream

Adventurer
So after Dead in Thay the next encounters season should be Tyranny of Dragons that will launch at Gen Con?

I think that the answer is yes. We haven't heard the complete picture, though we should soon. Here are some bits:

- Wizards in January announced Tyranny of Dragons, including a mention of factions (I don't think any of us caught that as applying to organized play). The article is a good overview of the story concept.

- ICv2 ties it to Encounters, also mentioning the multi-platform approach.

- Forbes has additional information, naming factions and providing additional information on some of the other platforms (such as the Neverwinter MMO).

It isn't clear yet how the different forms of organized play, such as convention, store/Encounters, and living campaign might tie together, or even if they are all supported (though it sounds that way).

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I like factions involved;

- Cult of the Dragon
- Red Wizards of Thay
- Harpers
- Company of the Gauntlet
- Emerald Enclave
- Lords Alliance
- Zhentarim

Warunsun

First Post
It was nice to hear about upcoming events at GenCon but I would also like to hear about Origins. For years D&D had a huge presence at the Origins Game Fair. Is there anything planned for this year?

Thanks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases