Learn about D&D organized play options

greatcedar

First Post
Hey Alphastream, how was your LD experience? I've played the first three modules and I love them. So much so that I applied (and accepted) a position as one of the tribunal volunteers for New England. We've got a lot of great ideas forthcoming and I'm looking forward to running 1-1 through 1-6 at Gen Con for any and all interested. Everyone who I've seen play it thus far really seems to dig what we're doing with 4e. Between mass combat, puzzles, investigations, and some of the other elements incorporated in, everyone seems to find something they enjoy.

jbear

First Post
Is Encounters limited to the US or is happening in ... oh, I don't know, let's say Wellington, New Zealand as I'm moving back there in August (I hope that's not too specific :) )?

Alphastream

Adventurer
Hey Alphastream, how was your LD experience? I've played the first three modules and I love them. So much so that I applied (and accepted) a position as one of the tribunal volunteers for New England.

You fool! Only fools join living campaigns as admins... ;) Congratulations.

We've got a lot of great ideas forthcoming and I'm looking forward to running 1-1 through 1-6 at Gen Con for any and all interested. Everyone who I've seen play it thus far really seems to dig what we're doing with 4e. Between mass combat, puzzles, investigations, and some of the other elements incorporated in, everyone seems to find something they enjoy.
Awesome!

Alphastream

Adventurer
Is Encounters limited to the US or is happening in ... oh, I don't know, let's say Wellington, New Zealand as I'm moving back there in August (I hope that's not too specific :) )?

I went back to the Events page and just entered "New Zealand" in the "Find a location" search box. It showed a map with two stores.

King of Cards
Basement Shop 113 Queens Acde
Auckland
New Zealand

Wargames Supply
1 Willis St (23.7 miles)
Wellington 6001
New Zealand

Hope that helps. If you run the search you can get contact info.

(great country, by the way - have friends but I've sadly never been there)

Alphastream

Adventurer
I updated the main page to have the latest info on Lair Assault.

I added a mention that LFR will be allowing meta-organizations that PCs can join.

I updated Ashes of Athas. The campaign now allows home play, so I linked to the web site where you can order the adventures.

Alphastream

Adventurer
Semi-update to say that all of the D&D organized play saw strong growth at Gen Con. LFR had some adventures that received rave reviews for their story and RP, as well as providing tough challenges. Living Divine had the official debut. Ashes of Athas had tremendous growth and concluded Chapter Three and brought the 2011 storyline to a close (the fun continues in 2012 at D&DXP).

LFR has allowed themes (though not those belonging to Dark Sun). The Neverwinter setting and DDI are both providing a good number of themes (and more will be published).

Interest in Lair Assault seems very high.

If you are attending PAX Prime this weekend, the first three sessions of the current/new season of Encounters will be running all weekend long in the RPGA area. There are a number of other non-organized events (including board game previews, learn to play, delve, and Gardmore Abbey preview). Wizards released a gameday for Neverwinter that served as an intro adventure to the Encounters season. PCs that participated in the gameday can continue into Encounters.

As always, please post if you have questions on how to get started or how to make sense of all the organized play options!

Alphastream

Adventurer
Updated for Lair Assault, which I hope to play Saturday at a DM's slot 0.

Also, PAX Prime recently concluded. The convention is primarily geared to casual and new players and thousands of them played D&D Learn to Play, a Gardmore Abbey special preview adventure, the Delve, Encounters, and/or tried the Drizzt board game. Tables were filled with happy players of all experience levels and had great age and gender diversity. Our hobby looks to be in really good shape!

Alphastream

Adventurer
A few updates for those following living campaigns:

Living Forgotten Realms:
Living Forgotten Realms updated its download site with two new adventures. One of them is a Neverwinter adventure, an adaptation of the Gauntlgrym Gambit published in Dungeon (and three round or 12 hours in length!). The campaign also released a new CORE adventure that is light on combat! I'm eager to see what this one brings. The accompanying blog is very interesting, promising "In the near future we will also be making some important announcements about the campaign staff and our plans for dealing with the Campaign Year 1 adventures that are scheduled to retire. Please stay tuned to this blog and the forums for details."

If you haven't played LFR in a while, check out some of the most recent adventures. These are some really fun adventures with a lot of story and interesting encounter design.

Ashes of Athas:
The campaign announced a call for authors for 2012. If you want to contribute to organized play and adventuring in the world of Dark Sun, head over to the forums and send the admins a response.

Living Divine
At DDXP Living Divine will have a two-round conclusion to its INTRO story arc. This might tell us more about PC divinity and the future story arcs. Other INTRO adventures will also be available, including at least one new one.

Living Arcanis
It now uses its own system, but J.P.'s OP interview series continues with this revamped organized play campaign.

Last edited:

Remove ads