Learn about D&D organized play options

Alphastream

Adventurer
I've updated the first post based on the latest information for LFR, Encounters, Lair Assault, Ashes of Athas, and Living Divine, as well as feedback on forums.

Feedback on making this more useful is always appreciated.

Edit: Also, I forgot to link to the interview Chad Brown and I had with JP discussing the Ashes of Athas organized play campaign.
Part 1
Part 2

Last edited:

Alphastream

Adventurer
Updated for today's WotC article on the next Lair Assault, Attack of the Tyrantclaw. I also added conventions to the Ashes of Athas section. The AoA Campaign Guide is update on the Baldman site and the result of the contest for pregens for Chapter 4 should be up soon.

In some other living news, Living Divine concluded its Intro series at D&DXP and we should be seeing the regional adventures soon. For Living Forgotten Realms, the Battle Interactive at D&DXP was very well received (evoking memories of classic LG interactives) and the NETH, EPIC, and SPEC adventures were also well received. They should begin appearing on the LFR site for free download soon.

Alphastream

Adventurer
Just a note that the Elder Elemental Eye season 8 of D&D Encounters started this week. You can read a review at Dungeon's Master (they review each week as well as providing season summary reviews).

This season was written by Pieter Sleijpen, one of the admins for Living Forgotten Realms, and developed by Chris Sims (who has worked on Ashes of Athas).

Alphastream

Adventurer
Thread updated for the next three Drow-themed Encounters series and the next two Drow-themed Lair Assault programs.

The Elder Elemental Eye season of Encounters sees mention in the Halls of Undermountain sourcebook, providing ways that DMs can transition a party from the season to the adventure.

It looks like most of this year will see in-store organized play focus on the Rise of the Underdark product line. It is a pretty impressive set of related events, products, and third-party offerings. The PAX East 2011 classic adventure was written by Shawn Merwin (EN World contributor, organized play contributor, and co-author of Halls of Undermountain) and provides an initial link to the upcoming series and the drow threat to come.

I also linked to a thread about other organized play programs under the appropriate area.

Alphastream

Adventurer
I updated the page based on the latest information for the Spiderkiller season of Lair Assault.

A new contest was launched through the drow portal. Each week three questions are posted on the D&D forums, on the D&D Twitter account, and on the D&D facebook page. Plug in the answers and you get something, as well as some lore telling you about the events at hand. The first week provided a desktop image. The second week provide a sneak peek at the map for Lair Assault! The lore tells us a bit about what the drow are plotting, and the history behind their motives.

Also worth noting is that this weekend is Origins. LFR, Ashes of Athas, and Living Divine all have new adventures premiering at the show. You can read event descriptions here (it says 2011, but these are for 2012).

LFR recently announced a new trilogy based in Returned Abeir, the adaptation for LFR of Chris Perkins' Against the Giants 4E remake, and an adaptation for LFR of the adventures found in Halls of Undermountain by Shawn Merwin (who co-wrote the book).

And, yesterday Wizards announced the adventure that will run for Free RPG Day. Dead in the Eye is for levels 8-10, which is the highest level gameday event we have seen in a long time. Mutant beholders!

Last edited:

Alphastream

Adventurer
BTW, the link to the AoA home-play request page goes to a missing page at the moment.

Baldman removes that page in between ordering periods. I know he is working on when to next release Chapter 3. The campaign is also working to find wider distribution possibilities (all chapters).

Alphastream

Adventurer
Gen Con and PAX have now concluded. Both saw many tables of the D&D Next Playtest, as well as other organized play events and demos. It is worth noting that D&D now offers a mix of experiences at conventions, from traditional 4-hour events to classics to short board game demos. For example, the line-up at PAX:

Learn to Play (for new players)
4-hour D&D Next Playtest
2-hour D&D Encounters session
2-hour D&D 4E "Classic" (A classic is a one-shot adventure with pregens that often have interesting and/or conflicting backgrounds to create fun RP).
Dungeon Command 1-hour intro
Dungeon Command competitive tournament (PAX 2012 was the first ever)
Board game demos (1 hour for Drizzt, Lords of Waterdeep, Nerath, etc.)
Lords of Waterdeep tournament

That is a very diverse offering. The rebirth of the "Classic" is something I have watched carefully. This was once a staple of convention play and it is nice to see it make a comeback. Players have been really enjoying these adventures. Don't miss them if you are at a convention offering one!

Another development has been adventures that allow for conflict between PCs. The Dawn of Night classic clearly intended this in a one-shot format, but the Council of Spiders Encounters season also has this to an extent through secret goals and the use of Treachery Cards that can inflict damage on allies. So far this has been positive, extending the experience. Gamers seem to be handling this with maturity.

In other news, I updated the first post for the latest LA and Encounters information. The biggest news has not been widely announced outside of the WPN, but can be seen here: The next season of Encounters will cover levels 1-8! That is a very big change from previous seasons. Does the change keep things fresh and draw in more players who may have wanted to advance beyond 3rd level?

Remove ads