Learn about D&D organized play options

Alphastream

Adventurer
Guess nobody is running anything in my area, then, which is just my bloody luck!! :( To quote a favourite author of mine -
or possibly her character - "Oh, ****erdoodles!"

I've at times traveled for work somewhere where games were not being run. I tried a few approaches, all of which eventually led to success:

1. MeetUp
Meetup.com is popular in the US as a way to find rpgs. A quick search landed at least one game within 50 miles, but I only looked quickly. Sometimes if a game is too far away, I contact them to see if they have heard of anything closer. Sometimes a country uses something different, from old Yahoo groups to G+ communities. Try a few different places and whenever you find something that doesn't quite fit, ask and see if they have ideas.

2. Stores
I contact any gaming stores, hobby shops, schools/universities, or libraries in the area. They might be running games or know someone who is. If not, they might be open to my running a game there. Some stores have a "games wanted" board where you can advertise a game (or that you are looking for one). I've seen people place adds in college papers.

3. Online
Online gaming services, such as Roll20, FantasyGrounds, and the like, could have games run by people who are all in the same country. Or, find a game with people in the same timezone. For many it isn't the same as a face-to-face game, but it can hold you over while you search for that.

4. Start your own
Worst case, contact the place you liked the most (or your home) and offer to run a game. You don't have to be the DM forever if that's not your preference. Just draw in some players and work on sharing DMing. I've started games in many towns and seen them grow to draw a community. It takes some time and effort, but eventually it works. For example, a book store or library might have a room where you could play. They let you place an add somewhere near where people check out books, and maybe they advertise it in a newsletter. In exchange, you run the games (at first) and tell gamers all about how they can buy/check out the RPG books the store/library carries. Everyone wins.

NobleK

First Post
I've at times traveled for work somewhere where games were not being run. I tried a few approaches, all of which eventually led to success:

1. MeetUp
Meetup.com is popular in the US as a way to find rpgs. A quick search landed at least one game within 50 miles, but I only looked quickly. Sometimes if a game is too far away, I contact them to see if they have heard of anything closer. Sometimes a country uses something different, from old Yahoo groups to G+ communities. Try a few different places and whenever you find something that doesn't quite fit, ask and see if they have ideas.

2. Stores
I contact any gaming stores, hobby shops, schools/universities, or libraries in the area. They might be running games or know someone who is. If not, they might be open to my running a game there. Some stores have a "games wanted" board where you can advertise a game (or that you are looking for one). I've seen people place adds in college papers.

3. Online
Online gaming services, such as Roll20, FantasyGrounds, and the like, could have games run by people who are all in the same country. Or, find a game with people in the same timezone. For many it isn't the same as a face-to-face game, but it can hold you over while you search for that.

4. Start your own
Worst case, contact the place you liked the most (or your home) and offer to run a game. You don't have to be the DM forever if that's not your preference. Just draw in some players and work on sharing DMing. I've started games in many towns and seen them grow to draw a community. It takes some time and effort, but eventually it works. For example, a book store or library might have a room where you could play. They let you place an add somewhere near where people check out books, and maybe they advertise it in a newsletter. In exchange, you run the games (at first) and tell gamers all about how they can buy/check out the RPG books the store/library carries. Everyone wins.
Yeah, thanks, that's a helpful reply, and I already use meetup.com to find games in Ireland; I was hoping at least one store on the entire island would be running some AL games, though....

Alphastream

Adventurer
Yeah, thanks, that's a helpful reply, and I already use meetup.com to find games in Ireland; I was hoping at least one store on the entire island would be running some AL games, though....

Are any of the stores open to the idea? I find that most stores, once I point out the benefits, are interested. Benefits include WPN status (which helps with Magic the Gathering events and being able to offer official D&D books before Amazon) and creating a community. Sometimes a store has very little space and feel the loss of 1-2 tables would hurt them. In that case, I've suggested a coupon system where everyone pays to play (some small amount) but receives a coupon for store credit. Other stores have different methods (pay to play unless you buy something, pay but the money goes to DM credit, etc.).

NobleK

First Post
Are any of the stores open to the idea? I find that most stores, once I point out the benefits, are interested. Benefits include WPN status (which helps with Magic the Gathering events and being able to offer official D&D books before Amazon) and creating a community. Sometimes a store has very little space and feel the loss of 1-2 tables would hurt them. In that case, I've suggested a coupon system where everyone pays to play (some small amount) but receives a coupon for store credit. Other stores have different methods (pay to play unless you buy something, pay but the money goes to DM credit, etc.).
That is honestly something I'd have to investigate; I can look into it when I go to change this dice bag I want to change early next week. It's just too small....

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Last time I was in Ireland (for WARPcon), I got the impression that many groups there had transitioned to Pathfinder if they played D&D-style games at all. It's also a bastion for European-produced RPGs, especially Modiphius's, plus games like Victoriana and The Dark Eye. Great if you're a gamer -- not so great if you're specifically a D&D gamer. Most Irish gamers I met were first-generation -- they didn't learn from their parents, so they don't have the same connection to D&D that we have here in the States. They play the games and genres they find interesting, which is cool.

Just my .02 Euro, and I'm sure a native Irishperson could correct me on details.

--
Pauper

NobleK

First Post
Last time I was in Ireland (for WARPcon), I got the impression that many groups there had transitioned to Pathfinder if they played D&D-style games at all. It's also a bastion for European-produced RPGs, especially Modiphius's, plus games like Victoriana and The Dark Eye. Great if you're a gamer -- not so great if you're specifically a D&D gamer. Most Irish gamers I met were first-generation -- they didn't learn from their parents, so they don't have the same connection to D&D that we have here in the States. They play the games and genres they find interesting, which is cool.

Just my .02 Euro, and I'm sure a native Irishperson could correct me on details.

--
Pauper
Hey, you've being polite, so WTF can I complain about? I'll just have to be content with non-AL stuff; it would just have been fun to see how I stacked up against other organised players, that's all... :(

Alphastream

Adventurer
Well, from that MeetUp link I shared there clearly is some 5E being played. I'll insist, it's always about what you are willing to do for a game. Seldom, even in a large US area, can you just have games come to you - you usually have to work a bit to find a good group and often have to start by organizing/DMing and then it takes off. Don't give up! Gaming is worth that work!

Alphastream

Adventurer
Hi all, I haven't had time to update the top post, despite really wanting to do so.

I've tried to make it a wiki, so others can edit. Does it seem to be working? Can anyone test whether they can now edit the post?

Ideally I want to retain the history, but update the rules for new players and DMs who come here looking for an overview and answers to their questions. The history can be hidden and serve as deeper information for those that want it.

Remove ads