The Isles of Woe

William Ronald

Explorer
In the In Character Forum, I am participating in the Industrial Revolution thread in the World of Greyhawk.

As I promised someone in the General RPG forum, here are some of my thoughts on the Isles of Woe in the GH campaign setting:

The Isles of Woe were mentioned in the 1st Edition DMG. They are believed to be submerged in the Nyr Dyv. They are listed in the LGG as a pre-Migration civilization.

I suspect they were primarily Flannae. However, I would like to imagine them as the ultimate evil meritocracy. Regardless of race, class or gender, if you could scheme your way to the top, you deserved to be there. (This helps separate them from many of the race based evil powers in the World of Greyhawk. Also, other humans and demi-humans seem remarkably alike once you have efreet, demons, and devils stopping by on a regular basis.) It is likely that the efreet would not care for anyone who made frequent use of the Codex of the Infinite Planes.

There was an evil and cruel people on the Isles of Woe. They were renowned for dark sorceries. The last leader was known as the Wizard Priest, who had access once to the Codex of Infinite planes which were probably the source of the Doom on his Isles.

It has long been feared in Greyhawk lore that the Isles of Doom and their dark rulers would return. They would likely be very skilled in conjuration/summoning magics.

Maldur

First Post
Whats your view on the return of the islands?

And what would the impact of them returning be? and the impact of a very magical local entering an industrializing world?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases