D&D 4E Running player commentary on PCat's 4E Campaign - Paragon Tier

KerlanRayne

Explorer
Why oh why P-cat, in all your RBDMness, have you forsaken us once again. Wait ... I think I just answered my own question.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Eagerly awaiting more, from either thread.

Jabba Von Hutt

First Post
Hey PC & Sagiro,

now that the cat is out of the bag in terms of the big announcement. I'm just wondering if the reason that this hasn't been updated in awhile is because you have been play testing D&D next?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
(This is a placeholder post for the game 2 weeks ago where a massive dog-gobbler battle ensued, and we saw what a properly prepared wizard can do against minions. Both Sagiro and I have been ludicrously busy, and I've been sick. We'll get to it!)
... so ... long ... ago ....

Pkitty has achieved a new level of RBDM: via excellent storytelling that sets our expectation levels up only to cruelly let us wither on the vine. :.-(

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Oh, foul barb of truth!

I'm typing on my phone right now, but later this morning I'll get folks up to speed. Last night's fight was just great, the best in a while. Let's talk about it.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Also, I can neither confirm or deny whether we're playtesting D&D Next. I can say that every other week I'm running B1: In Search of Adventure! But those things are surely coincidental and completely unrelated.

Whoa, look behind you. A three-headed monkey!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Last night was the first game at lvl 14. Since the PCs hit paragon tier:

- They received word that every Guardsman was ordered to assemble into an army to fight hags on the isle of Connabar. The order came from Commander Reymus, Logan's old enemy, so the PCs flat-out ignored it and covered up their insubordination. Recruitment officers are possessed by weird psychic parasites.

- Our heroes tracked the poisoner and golem-crafter Tanis Riverlimb to her family's "vacation home" deep in the northern swamps of Croghan. It turned out to be protected by a weird planar conjunction with the Shadowfell; the PCs entered shadow, informed the rulers of the shadow-city on the other side that the Riverlimbs had violated their agreement, and convinced them to withdraw their support of Tanis. She almost managed to kill them all with an underhanded trick, but they barely triumphed and completely destroyed her.

- The PCs discover that guardsmen returning from Connabar all seem to be infested with the psychic parasites. Returning to the capitol of the empire, civil war has broken out in the streets between factions vying for the throne.

- The PCs find the Grey Guard headquarters abandoned except for a mummified, stuffed browl (not owlbear). Needing the order's library, they follow the leadership to the resort town of Tagus, beseiged by an undead army who are trying to get at another contender to the throne that's hiding within. The PCs ignore the undead since that's a political matter, and in fact the undead treat them with strict neutrality since they're Grey Guard.

- The Tagus tower is heavily fortified, partially because one of the few surviving bastard sons of the late emperor is a Grey Guard member. Logan is attacked and framed by a guardsman who turns out to be Reymus himself. They organize a chase through the swamps for the PC, who manages to get back to the tower and warn everyone. Monster-infested guardsmen are dispatched, and it turns out the Reymus's room in the tower is covered in mirrors. Bringing mirrors into a tower is an ancient taboo, and now the group thinks they know why. The tower roof turns out to be covered in translucent egg sacks, and (in the magically summoned hurricane caused by the invading undead army) the lvl 13 PCs face off against the lvl 22 solo I'd intended to fight them at the end of Paragon tier. I anticipate a TPK.

Through quick wit and great tactics, bastards kill him in a round and a half by knocking him unconscious, dropping him off the roof of the 200' tower, and dropping catapult stones on his head from hundreds of feet up.

- The PCs now assume that Reymus managed to infect all the hundreds - thousands? probably more than a thousand - guardsmen who reported to him on Connabar. All of them have returned to their towers, and all of them have probably set up mirrors to somehow summon more of these psychic parasites (named "clath.") This is very, very bad. The PCs teleport to one such tower they know of. After almost dying in a crushing pit trap, they fight the infected guardsmen in a long and brutal battle that involves killing the mortal, and then killing the monster that's inside of it. Problem is, another 30 infected townsfolk are now standing silently outside the tower...

And that brings us to lvl 14 and the end of last night.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The PCs believe that infesting clath (which look like unnatural half-real one-celled creatures, roughly the size of a dog, shimmeringly translucent) have several stages.

1. Recent infestation: less powerful with no known way to attack psychically. Can be detected by the host's rainbow-sheened eyes.

2. Intermediate infestation: the rainbow-colored eyes disappear for someone whose sight isn't specially, magically enhanced. Unable to drag foes into special psychic arenas, they can fight physically in their borrowed bodies... and when those bodies die, can emerge to fight physically themselves.

3. Advanced infestation. Can drag foes away into a psychic arena for private destruction. It's unknown what happens when they defeat foes there, but taking over their physical form seems likely.

It's known that clath lay eggs, that they don't seem to be from this world, and that they are summoned by setting up mirrors inside of a witchwater tower.

In last night's combat, we had a remarkable thing: a long (2.5 hours) fight that moved pretty quickly, never dragged or became boring. We did this by starting the fight with mortal foes, 3 lvl 14 melee (a barbarian, a rogue and a cleaver-wielding cook) and 2 lvl 14 spellcasters (a wizard and a nature priest). They entered the battlefield from two sides and stayed somewhat mobile despite some great PC attempts to restrict their movement. One round after each foe died (at the monster's normal "bloodied" value), a clath emerged from it. The clath are much more mobile, tend to attack reflex, and do brutal amounts of damage when they hit. Luckily, these ones weren't as accurate as some foes the PCs have fought, and the group used excellent tactics to guard each other, separate their foes and focus fire. The PCs ended the fight with all encounters gone and almost all dailies used up. It was a nice challenge.

My conclusions from this fight:

- The warforged wizard Strontium did a great job controlling. Since she prefers direct damage spells, the player was quite chuffed about this. "See? I CAN be a controller!" This made a fair amount of difference in how many clath were attacking at once.

- With absurdly high defenses, Sagiro's rogue Cobalt has become impromptu defender. An ability to stop foes from moving played havoc, though. The shaman Bramble kept being targeted by Clath because (other than brutally slaying them with opportunity attacks!) it was difficult to stop the monsters from moving.

- Logan the avenger finally got to use his full range of powers that kick in when an enemy moves away from him. This made the mobile fight a lot more fun for all of us. I'll be doing more of this in future fights, instead of tending towards the more static foes.

- The shaman gave everyone DR5 early on. Tremendously useful.

- As a DM, scoring two crits with two successive attacks on the same PC in the same round is really, really fun. Shh, don't tell my players.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases