D&D 4E Running player commentary on PCat's 4E Campaign - Paragon Tier

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
For people curious about the clath, I'll put some information in this spoiler box. If you play in any of my games, please don't click!

[sblock]

I'm still not going to post some of the plot-related secrets, but as a basis for the clath I'm using leveled-up (and vastly buffed) fell taints. Yes, the name is pretty funny, but they're nifty monsters. Here's the stats for one type of clath.

51114d1330101781-suggestion-pc-nemm-anyone-else-story-hour-clath-defiant-stats.png

I've kept the attack bonus respectable but not ludicrous, their hit points relatively low (and one PC has a weapon that does something like 15 extra points of damage to them per hit), and their damage is very very high. This results in a fun, respectable monster that the group is scared of enough to stay focused. I'm liking the results so far. Note that I only boost clath damage by this much, not other monsters, making them scarier than other monsters of their level.

If you want to comment on this, please put your response in a sblock or start a new thread with a warning for my players. Thanks!
[/sblock]

the Jester

Legend
Questions that PC's players shouldn't look at about the stuff PC posted that his players shouldn't look at:

[sblock]I notice under "Resist" you have "5 insubstantial"- how are you working that? Is that "Half damage and knock off 5 more" or just "resist 5 all"?

So I'm guessing that the low defenses and hps are a wash with the higher attack bonus and damage? [/sblock]

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Turns out that several of my players subscribe to this thread, and email updates completely ignore the spoiler blocks. Going further I'll start a separate thread for any secrets, and link to it here.

Quickleaf

Legend
Sounds like an awesome return of your game, congrats!

They slew his human shape, but then his true shape (unreal one-celled amoeba alien) emerged.

I always suspected Steven Seagal was just a front for an alien thing. Now we have proof.
Actually Steven Seagal is play-testing the new edition that Piratecat may or may not be testing. You may have missed the reference in 2009...

51FK55PZS1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

;)

D'karr

Adventurer
Sounds like an awesome return of your game, congrats!

Actually Steven Seagal is play-testing the new edition that Piratecat may or may not be testing. You may have missed the reference in 2009...

51FK55PZS1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

;)

If he has songs from the Crystal Cave it is very likely that he is making a bid to take over the Feywild. The thunder damage that could be done to the entirety of the Plains of Echoing Thunder would be incalculable. At that point even the Great Gark in Nachtur would have a tough time refusing him...

His alien plot must be stopped. Think of the little faeries.

Riastlin

First Post
Just wanted to say that I borrowed on the idea for the Clath for my 16th level game yesterday. Kept the damage the same but upped the critter to 16th level, and I can say that it definitely worked well. Just hearing all the dice hitting the table made the players nervous and by the end of the session they started saying "It's bad that we all know how much the crit does isn't it?"

So kudos to PCat for the Clath!

klofft

Explorer
This thread (which, sadly, doesn't seem to be growing very quickly) led me back to the 75 pages of Heroic Tier.

I'm not done yet (I'm in the low 50s somewhere), but it remains a treasure trove of fun and great advice, especially for someone new or newish to running 4th.

But what I especially love in that thread started back in '08 is all the enthusiasm for 4th edition. It's really great to read material from a time in which people were just thrilled with 4th.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases