HM's Carrion Crown AP - CT

perrinmiller

Adventurer
No that's okay. Using the hit and run tactics with Magic Missiles will win: Magic Missile (1d4+1=5) & Magic Missile (1d4+1=4)

After that it is cantrips until he is dead, since he cannot catch her once staggered. But the bleeding out people, likely will die since she will move away and cannot heal them when she returns.

[sblock=After Action Report]I think orcs are CR1/2 (errata updated from CR1/3?) so that was a CR3 encounter and is a little tough when unlucky. And we were pretty unlucky compared to the orcs. I used a similar warm-up (6 orcs staggered in appearance with a level 3 sorcerer) for three 3rd level characters and they did not come out unscathed either.

When faced with challenging encounters, I think we need to be a little more cautious, maybe. {Discussing, not lecturing GE. ;)}

I tend to favor readying actions from cover and drawing them in to make the enemy use their move actions (prefer double move actions) to close the distance and whack them as they come in range.

To get any use out of Bardic Performance, that will likely be a round 1 Standard Action and thus no offensive spell in the opening exchange. And if we are not able to predict combat, Firvin may not have Mage Armor active either, making it a choice of priority.

Sleep is a good crowd control spell, but with 1 round casting time and only DC13 saves, it may not be very effective over all, despite worrying about getting them to bunch up while casting it. I think Color spray might be better, but I will look. I do know that I will exchange for Daze as a Cantrip at least.

Maybe I should consider Shield spell and cast it on Marshan so he can control the battlefield better and survive with his low AC.[/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
[sblock=ooc]So the bard does her hit and run, and finally downs the orc. Gregori is stable. Marshan has 12 chances to stabilize on his own, or she may return for a DC 15 heal check to bandage him and stabilize him. Halal has 8-12 chances as well to stabilize. She guards three unconscious people overnight, but in the morning can wake one of us. That person can wake the next, and so forth. Therefore, we survive by the skin of our teeth.

Unless a wolf shows up in the middle of the night. :eek:[/sblock][sblock=after fight analysis]A) Daze is useless. It spends your std action to have a 50% chance of ruining their std action. I suggest avoiding it.
B) Shield is a personal spell. So, you cannot cast it on Marshan. Marshan will be picking it up in two or three levels.
C) Marshan will be changing armor and gaining +2 as soon as he finds another 100 gp. So, he will be 16/14. With 15 point buy characters, that is not bad.
D) Take "Lingering Performance" from the APG before "Extra Performances". First round always Inspire Courage, Second is an attack spell, but the inspire is still up. Third is another spell while the inspire is still up.
E) Marshan is changing to 1/2 elf to get the ancestral weapon for the hammer, and then use the feat for Combat Reflexes. That would have provided another two attacks this battle.
F) Marshan will from now on always be using the hammer as a walking stick too, so it is in hand ready for surprise battles, instead of wasting and action to draw it. It is kind of big to try and sheathe anyways.
G) Marshan has to channel instead of attack. I followed the orders of "rise and kill the fook" because it was a test, but he should have channeled there. It would have taken a max roll to wake Gregori, but would have kept me going one more round because the orc did min damage.
H) Toddy missed a move after his double kill.
I) Save sleep for when you have a stealth approach and surprise. Second level, Toddy will be sporting at +13 Perception, and we should get the initiative on most encounters.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]I agree with a bit more early battle preparation. If I had slung my shield instead of throwing the bomb (which hardly did anything this time) I would have avoided that first devastating attack. That should also allow me to draw a mutagen if I don't advance in order to down it and draw my sword the next round. Or if I had a cestus I could make an attack and draw the sword the round after. Of course, most of this changes once I hit 2nd level and gain natural attacks.[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
MM for the Win... only if he misses with the first javelin ;) (need a 20 to hit before the sleep spell and got lucky)

I have found out my Bestiary is one of the ones with a bunch of errata. So I need to watch that or buy a new one.

My only thing was up till the end Narshan was batting a 1000. And in normal game the orc would have ran from the man-ogre, but he needed a 5 to hit (which he rolled on the button) and minimum dmg was 6 pts and Marshan had 5 HP so I took the shot so to speak.

Question should we do an in dungeon encounter one without all the space for enlarging (space would be there but block line of sight for others and such) and such before moving to lvl 5?

Or do you wish the fight below at LvL 5??

HM

Attachments

• hill giant fight.jpg
    hill giant fight.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 61

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[sblock=OOC]Bow in hand for Halal as standard (at least in areas where it's likely we'll see the baddies before they get to melee range). Stay away from wells and cliffsides. Any other pointers for the Crow?[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
I don't have my level 5 stats worked out and I'm not sure how much time I'm going to have to do it. A little forewarning: this weekend is the St. Louis Star Ball (which I am competing in) so I'll essentially be offline from Thursday afternoon until very late Saturday. With work and my scheduled practice sessions I don't know if I'll be able to get it done before the weekend.

I could do it on the fly, if you're ok with that. At 5th level we should have our extra points and a level increase to ability scores (both would go into Gregori's STR). Everything else I could figure out as we go. ...Except the animal companion, maybe.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Learn to fly?? :p

Lucky they used those two rolls on CMB's and you only took 2d6 falling damage instead of 4d4+8 falchion dmg. ;)

Headed to the OOC to see what is being discussed there.

HM

Satin Knights

First Post
I say dungeon crawl. The hill giant would be two rounds at most. I enlarge bash from outside his reach, Toddy double moves acrobatically for flank. Fivin lightning bolts, the ranger rapid shots. Maybe he wouldn't last the first round.

Remove ads