[LPF] The Old Alchemist

toasterferret

Explorer
Hearing the old man's outburst, Anna strides into the room.

She walks to the front of the group and says

"Listen, I'm sure this was all just a big misunderstanding on the part of all parties involved. We were sent by a man claiming to be an associate of yours to reclaim your journal. The way he presented the situation made it seem as if you were dead, or in some kind of dire trouble. It seemed the man had a person stake in finding a cure for the petrification ailment he was suffering from."

She holds up her own arm.

"I must say, I can understand the sentiment. So why don't we all just calm down and figure out the best way for everyone involved to get what they need?"

Songdragon

Explorer
After checking on the dragon-chicken and it's nest as well as making sure her small companion made it alright joins the others. Coming up behind Anna and watches as the woman does her thing with words.

Cyansylph

First Post
As Le Jubb stands there awaiting the old man's response, he can't help but go admire the alchemy labs along the sides of the room. He digs through the various flasks and beakers for anything he might recognize. He even goes so far as to pull out the 2 collected formula books and pages through them as he inspects the various liquids. He can be heard muttering and snickering to himself, amused with the mess a. So typical, I can scarcely believe how much this resembles my own lab when I was still but an apprentice. Abandoned formulas and extracts; half completed extracts; some catalysts that clearly failed -- oh the ignorance of youth.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The man sighs as and his shoulders slump. "You have ruined my research by killing off all the cockatrices. Thurkin and the other Brotherhood members have been calling for my retirement for months. And you... you all have finally brought it about."

"I am undone here now, but the journal I don't have it. It isn't here."
he says looking up to the group and his eyes tell everyone he speaks the truth. (Sense Motive DC 0)

"The plan has always been if true adversaries and not just messengers ever arrived from the Brotherhood, then Sefaro would take the book and go into hiding. He has left under cover of invisibility with his men, but will return in the morning. If you are all still here I will give you my journal, my life's work."

The sadness in the man's eyes to have worked so hard and not completed his task can be seen.

Cyansylph

First Post
LE Jubb hurries over when the old man speaks, taking some pity on a fellow alchemist."I think you are mistaken. First we had no intention of coming here as adversaries. We were sent because the messengers never returned. I for one would like to know what has become of them. Are they statues in your garden now? Second, can I help with your research, I know some alchemy myself and perhaps a second set of eyes on the research could find something overlooked.

Finally, please calm yourself. One of these chicken things is still alive with Anna here. All is not lost."

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Yeah, but if yer research depended on yer birds, usin' them as guards was dumb with capital D. I'm the warrior here and I know that. What ye have in her head? Stones? Once we get di book we're outa 'ere, I want me money fer the stupid book, no one pays me fer bein' caritative." the dwarf says.

Animal

First Post
Krad glances around and realizes that no one feeled necessary to stay on watch despite his words. It's probably useless to reason with this people. So he grudgingly walks toward the door himself, losing interest in the conversation. Silently he leans against the and looks around - the old man says there are no guards here, but you can never be too sure concerning your safety.

Songdragon

Explorer
Therella looks to the little dragon-chicken she has and asks... "Is this one of your cockatrices? While wounded and unconscious, it yet remains alive." She removes the sling she was carrying the little critter in and places it before the old man.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The old man stares in wonder at the small baby cockatrice holding it in his lap petting it lovingly for a few moments. He turns to look up at the group.

"It is so small,"
he says a tear welling up in his eye. "And yet it might hold the key to curing us. Thank you." he says with a nod to Therella.

He sits contemplative for a moment more. "Even though I would like to continue my work. I think it is best I finally retire. Other younger members can take up my work and I can live out the rest of my days in peace. And maybe come to understand these creatures a little more."

Wiping his eyes free of tears he continues in a little firmer voice. "When Sefaro returns in the morning you may have the journal with my blessing. Until then you may stay here or return, the choice is yours."

[sblock=Experience]
Momma Cockatrice: CR 3 = 800 xp
Acolytes of Andrax: CR 1 = 400 xp
Successfully completed RP/skill challenge: CR 1 = 400xp

divided by 5 players = 320 xp each[/sblock]

Last edited:

Songdragon

Explorer
The half-elf nods, "They did seems to be very interesting creatures. I thought to keep the little guy alive."

She then asks, "Is there anything that I can do to help you with? This all seems rather much for a just a journal."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases