Damned If You Do... Recruiting Closed

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Damned If You Do...
Damned If You Do...
A Back to Basics 4e D&D game

DIYD is a D&D 4th Ed. play-by post game. It will involve a group of characters who hail from or are tied to a small mining town called Thunderstone. The intent of the setup is to entice the player’s to investigate an old monument called Elber’s Tomb.

" Elber’s Tomb, that’s what it’s been always been called. Now who Elber is no one remembers. Heck, old Jazzik says it isn’t really even a tomb. It’s always been a place for boogey men and other nonsense, and there have been some disappearances near there, but enough people get captured and dropped into an orc‘s cookpot or worse, that it’s probably no more dangerous than anywhere else. Of course, people have been hearing and seeing strange things for a few weeks, and what about the stranger who was asking about the tomb a few months back?"

Investigation of a mysterious location near the character’s hometown. Characters may be born in the town and returning after an absence, or may be visitors from afar. Themes will touch on hard choices and responsibility for your actions.

I'm looking for 3-6 players, priority will be given to people who voted in my planning thread. Play will start at first level. Post your interest, and a short character idea.

Setting Info
[sblock="Setting Info"]The town of Thunderstone was founded many generations ago, during the prime of the Nerathi empire. Thunderstone is located in the Nentir Vale, in the foothills of the Dawnforge Mountains, alongside the White River.

Thunderstone is a mining town, but strangely enough lacks a strong dwarf presence. It was founded by a dwarven of old lineage, but a bit more lacking in sense than most Dwarves. They lost their claims on the mines in a card game with some human adventurers. The humans sold the rights to some Nerathan merchants, who brought in settlers. There are a small number of dwarves in town, none of whom actually work the mines.

The typical miner is characteristically short (for a human), stocky, and meticulously clean shaven. An attitude of superiority to dwarves permeates the town’s culture, shunning things normally associated with dwarves. This is not to say they aren’t friendly with the dwarves in their midst, it’s just more of a background feeling, stemming from the worry that dwarves would be more successful at running the mine.

The townspeople are mostly human, a scattering of other races. They almost all are members of the Great Church, which is a church which purports to worship all the gods, or at least fear and try to placate the evil ones. The only one not mentioned at all is Tharizdun, but in real terms, it sometimes seems more like the main gods are Paladine, Erathis, Pelor and The Raven Queen. For this reason, many people keep private shrines in their homes and shops, which are discouraged, but not outlawed.

Elber’s Tomb is a large monument or ruin a bit back in the hills, towards the mountains. Legends surround that place, but they all seem to conflict. There have been some unusual occurrences there, but many other stories have gotten attached to it over the years.[/sblock]

House Rules
Just some flavor stuff and ability score bonus tweaks.
On my Obsidian Portal Site

Logistics
[sblock="Logistics"]
Some notes on logistics:
Posting frequency: Once every 2 days is basically the minimum, especially if were are in a tactical combat. I’d prefer about 5 times a week.

Initiative: I run a single averaged initiative for all the monsters. Everyone who beat them in initiative goes before them. Your characters will all go in posting order, assuming you delay until after the person who posted before you.

Defenses and dice: We will use EN Worlds dice roller and I will reveal enemy defenses and hit points, so you can make your post include the resolution of your action.

Tactical Combat: I will use battle map software to run the combats, but sometimes we are just going to skip the grid, especially for smaller combats.

Encounter Balance: I make no claim that your encounters will be balanced. Some will be hared, some will be ridiculously easy. Good Luck.

Treasure: I will hand out whatever I want, when I want it. It will likely not be balanced, and will probably be less cash than by the DMG guidelines. I will “upgrade” your neck item, armor and weapliments at appropriate levels even if you don’t “find” them. Magic items are not purchasable readymade, aside from some consumables. I will give out significant items, I’m just gonna play it by ear. Ritual costs can be reduced on request, we will talk it out.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Placeholder. Defender maybe.

My idea is of a Warden, a defender devoted to protecting nature. I'm thinking of a human or a dwarf who has strong ties to the mountain and wants to see it protected rather than defiled by predatory mining practices. Maybe he fears that something dangerous and/or evil will be unearthed there. Maybe his family has a history of druids, shaman, and wardens and such and perhaps also a long history of affinity with the mountains. Anyway, that's my initial thought.

tiornys

Explorer
Interested, although if it comes to a choice between this and the Clutches of the Maw, I'll wait for the latter :)

I'm thinking an Elf Ranger|Cleric hybrid, emphasizing the striker side of the character to the point where I'm basically a striker with a slightly stronger sub-leader than normal. Will likely worship Avandra or equivalent, and be drawn to the settlement by the rumors of evil deeds and adventurous possibilities.

t~

[sblock=Mirithek, background and appearance]Mirithek wears naturally colored leathers and a mottled green cloak with a mottled gray interior (reversible). His chestnut colored hair is short but thick, standing out like a mane when uncovered. His pale blue eyes are at odds with his weathered brown complexion.

Mirithek was raised in a typical elven manner, learning woodslore and archery from his father. When Mirithek was in his late teens, his village was visited by a wandering priest of Avandra, who talked freely and openly about his religion while helping with various needs about the village in exchange for food and provisions. Mirithek didn't understand many of the details, but the overall philosophy of freedom, travel, adventure, and taking your fate into your hands came through loud and clear. Within a year, he had set out on his travels. He hasn't been on the road for long when he hears rumors of a monster-infested tomb located near a mining town just a few weeks upriver. Shouldering his bow, he sets out to verify the rumors....[/sblock]

[sblock= Mirithek, Character Sheet]Mirithek, level 1 Elf Ranger|Cleric
Male, 5' 7", 135 lb
[sblock= Elf features]Ability scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence or +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 7 squares.
Vision: Low-Light

Languages: Common, Elven
Skill Bonuses: +2 Nature, +2 Perception.
Elven Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the longbow and the shortbow.
Fey Origin: Your ancestors were native to the Feywild, so you are considered a fey creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.
Group Awareness: You grant non-elf allies within 5 squares of you a +1 racial bonus to Perception checks.
Wild Step: You ignore difficult terrain when you shift.
[sblock= Elven Accuracy]Encounter
Free Action Personal
Trigger:
You make an attack roll and dislike the result.
Effect: Reroll the attack roll. Use the second roll, even if it’s lower.
[/sblock]
[/sblock][sblock= Ranger|Cleric features][sblock= Hunter's Quarry (hybrid)]At-Will
Minor Action
Effect:
You can designate the nearest enemy to you that you can see as your quarry.
Once per round, when you hit your quarry with an attack, the attack deals extra damage based on your level. If you can make multiple attacks in a round, you decide which attack to apply the extra damage to after all the attacks are rolled. If you have dealt Hunter’s Quarry damage since the start of your turn, you cannot deal it again until the start of your next turn.

The hunter’s quarry effect remains active until the end of the encounter, until the quarry is defeated, or until you designate a different target as your quarry.

You can designate one enemy as your quarry at a time.

Level ... Hunter’s Quarry Extra Damage
1st–10th +1d6
11th–20th +2d6
21st–30th +3d6
[/sblock][sblock= Healer's Lore]Your study of healing allows you to make the most of your healing prayers. When you let a creature spend a healing surge to regain hit points with one of your cleric powers that has the healing keyword, add your Wisdom modifier to the hit points the recipient regains.
[/sblock][sblock= Healing Word (hybrid)]Encounter (Special) Healing
Minor Action Close
burst 5 (10 at 11th level, 15 at 21st level)

Target: You or one ally in the burst

Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain 1d6 additional hit points.
Level 6: 2d6 additional hit points.
Level 11: 3d6 additional hit points.
Level 16: 4d6 additional hit points.
Level 21: 5d6 additional hit points.
Level 26: 6d6 additional hit points.
[/sblock]
[/sblock][sblock= Background]Occupation: Hunter Benefit: +2 Stealth
[/sblock][sblock= Reference]Initiative: +4 Speed: 7
Passive Insight: 19 Passive Perception: 21 (Senses: low-light)
Resistances: none
Saving Throw Modifiers: none
Languages: Common, Elven
[/sblock][sblock= Stats]Strength: 11
Constitution: 13
Dexterity: 18
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 18
Charisma: 8
[/sblock][sblock= Defenses]AC: 17 Fortitude: 11 Reflex: 15 Will: 15
HP: 25 Surges/day: 7 Surge Value: 6
[/sblock][sblock= Skills]Acrobatics +3
Arcana +0
Athletics -1
Bluff -1
Diplomacy -1
Dungeoneering +4
Endurance +0
Heal +4
History +0
Insight +9
Intimidate -1
Nature +11
Perception +11
Religion +0
Stealth +10
Streetwise -1
Thievery +3
[/sblock][sblock= Feats]Level 1: Weapon Proficiency: Greatbow
[/sblock][sblock= Powers]
[sblock= Brand of the Sun]At-Will Divine, Radiant, Weapon
Standard Action Melee
weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Wisdom vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Wisdom modifier radiant damage.
Level 21: 2[W] + Wisdom modifier radiant damage.
Effect: You or one ally within 5 squares of you can make a saving throw.
[/sblock][sblock= Twin Strike]At-Will Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee or Ranged
weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding two melee weapons or a ranged weapon.
Targets: One or two creatures
Attack: Strength vs. AC (melee; main weapon and off-hand weapon) or Dexterity vs. AC (ranged), two attacks
Hit: 1[W] damage per attack.
Increase damage to 2[W] at 21st level.
[/sblock]
[sblock= Two-Fanged Strike]Encounter Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee or Ranged
weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding two melee weapons or a ranged weapon.
Attack: Strength vs. AC (melee; main weapon and off-hand weapon) or Dexterity vs. AC (ranged), two attacks
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage (melee) or 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage (ranged) per attack. If both attacks hit, you deal extra damage equal to your Wisdom modifier.
[/sblock]
[sblock= Cascade of Light]Daily Divine, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Ranged
Attack: Wisdom vs. Will
Hit: 3d8 + Wisdom modifier radiant damage, and the target gains vulnerability 5 to all your attacks (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and the target gains no vulnerability.
[/sblock]
[/sblock][sblock=Items]
Greatbow
Hide Armor
60 Arrows
Longsword
Dagger
Adventurer's Kit
Wealth: 6 gp
[/sblock][sblock= Details][sblock= Mannerisms and Appearance]Mirithek wears naturally colored leathers and a mottled green cloak with a mottled gray interior (reversible). His chestnut colored hair is short but thick, standing out like a mane when uncovered. His pale blue eyes are at odds with his weathered brown complexion.

Mirithek moves like a hunter, and rarely relaxes even in safe environments. His eyes are constantly in motion, cataloging his surroundings. Mirithek tends to whisper most of his communications; when he speaks, his surprisingly deep voice is impossible to use quietly.
[/sblock][sblock= Character Matrix]Social Interactions: Relaxed, Enthusiastic, Open-minded
Decision Points: Easygoing, Flexible, Kind
Dire Straits: Brave, Happy-go-lucky, Restless
[/sblock][sblock= Campaign Notes]
[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
ill keep it simple fighter or monk :p

You must be new to 4e if you think a fighter is simple. :) The PH1 Fighter is arguably the most complex PH1 Class to play well. The Slayer from HotFL (One of the the D&D Essentials Player books) is more like the "simple" fighter from previous editions.

Insight

Adventurer
You must be new to 4e if you think a fighter is simple. :) The PH1 Fighter is arguably the most complex PH1 Class to play well. The Slayer from HotFL (One of the the D&D Essentials Player books) is more like the "simple" fighter from previous editions.

I can also recommend the Knight. I find its aura a lot easier to deal with than individual Fighter marking aka Combat Challenge.

Almightyfoon

First Post
Coming over from the other thread, I shall play a bard methinks. The standard legend seeking type, probably a half elf or halfling, haven't decided yet. Looks to be a good setting for this type of character.

Looking at the blocked power source list, half elf it is!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases