Monster Creation 101

Blacksway

Rock Monkey
After seeing some of the submission to my homebrew creature site I am convinced there is a need for more constructive help on creature creation.

So I'm taking a two pronged attack at this. Firstly the add creature (and shortly add template) pages on the homebrew site now have field specific help next to some of them.

Secondly I'm putting together a Monster Creation 101 course, a step by step guide to creating monsters, with two working examples.

Monster Creation 101 - Class 1

Any comments welcome, or suggestions for fields I have yet to cover in the add pages.

Knight Otu

First Post
Example 1: I'm going to create a purple ooze, a brilliantly intelligent and good ooze with an aversion to vermin and a desire to make the world a cleaner and better place to live in. Funky!

So, in step 2 or 3 we scrap this one and replace it with an aberration, right? ;)

Blacksway

Rock Monkey
LOL! No!! (but only cause I say so...)

But seriously, the closeness between oozes and aberation, monstrous humanoid and aberations, the eternal battle between beasts and magical beasts are all things I shall cover towards the end. (along with many of the points from the Finer Points of Monster Design thread, the true inspiration for this mini project).

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
Looks good so far, but I have some ideas.

You could make parts of it, specific questions, with answers. I'm sure the regulars here would be willing to help answer them.

The chapters (in varying length, ofcourse):

1. It's all about concept. (Creating a good concept, is the key to creating a good creature.)
2. Choosing the proper creature type. (Gee...it's a giant firebreathing lizard, that's a dragon, right? Well, that depends it could be a magical beast.)
3. What's the size jay? (Should it be a diminutive aberration or a colossal one? Includes the Face/Reach part.)
4. Proper HD is the basis of a good creature. (generally speaking, thougher creatures have more abilities, than one with only one HD.)
5. Speed! :D
6. How to determine initiative.
7. Armor class. Or why you won't be able to hit the giant rabbit with your sword ;)
8. Combat Section (Determening attacks and damage.)
9. Special powers (Includes the difference between spell-like, supernatural, and extraordinary abilities, as well as where to put them. With a rundown of the most common misstakes. 'Gee firebreathing is an extraordinary ability right?' 'no, it's supernatural')
10. Ability Scores. (Includes why Oozes lack Int, Undead and Constructs Lack Con, and why Con is important.)
11. Skills and Feats (The difference, determining skill points, choosing feats.)
12. Climate, Terrains, and your monster (desciding where your creature is from, and how it effects it's abilities, for example it would not make sense if a polar creature is immune to fire, unless you give it a really good explanation.)
13. Social Structure, or how many orcs to a tribe? :p
14. Determinig CR and Treasure (A non-intelligent creature usually lack treasure for example.
15. Choosing the proper alignment. (Oozes are usually neutral, while undead are usually evil.)
16. Advancement Ranges, for dummies :D
17. Fleshing out your creature (includes describing the creature, social behavior, and the ever popular combat section.
18. PC races, or is this creature suitable as a player race?

Also you should provide a link to the Create a Creature PDF on the Add a creature page, with a simple reminder. (Do you have the Creature Creation Guidelines? If not you can download it here: <Add Link>

Hope I was helpful. And I hope it works :D

Krishnath

First Post
Dammit, janet, I did it again (A little RHPS joke there... :D)

Blacksway: Just say the word, and I'll answer anything, It might not be the right answer, but I'll answer it anyway :p

A thing to do would be to set up a FAQ, just come up with some questions you think would be common, and post them here, I'm sure someone here would answer them, then you can compile a FAQ, and add an e-mail link to take more questions to the FAQ, I suggest setting one up at http://www.fastmail.fm They have a 10mb storage limit, so you don't have to worry about your own e-mail being flooded.

Geocorona: Got any questions? (related to creature creation :D)

Edit: Dammit, forgot the color closer, again!

Last edited:

Blacksway

Rock Monkey
Geocorona said:
What was it you didn't like about Mars the black dragon dwarf with 10,000 STR?

Was it his worrying or his viscosity?

I was convinced you where taking the (err, micheal?) - so I checked! and there it is!

un-believable!

Mr [submitter], if you are out there, then feel free to email anyone of us or post to this board. We only want to help.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases