Legend of Drizzt: A Dungeons & Dragons Board Game

brewdus

Banned
Banned
Seems like WOTC (or Hasbro more specifically) really wants to turn D&D into a board game! Here's a link: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Drizzt-Dungeons-Dragons-Board/dp/0786958731/ref=sr_1_77?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1300024106&sr=1-77"]Amazon.com: Legend of Drizzt: A Dungeons & Dragons Board Game (4th Edition D&D): Toys & Games[/ame] .

scourger

Explorer
Perhaps it will be the one that finally gets me into the D&D board games. I did enjoy reading those novels once upon a time. I really wish they would develop it like the Gamma World RPG, as they planned to do with Ravenloft. Alas, I'll have to keep enjoying other diversions...

There was a theory proposed in a different forum that it could be a brilliant multi-tiered marketing strategy.

Offer board games, which include minis and map tiles, and have simple D&D-derived rules. You can sell them to a broader audience than just D&D players, so prices go down.

Then offer the full game as a step up for people who like the board game. Or, for people who already play the tabletop game, point them to the board games to get minis and maps at prices comparable with buying the old mini boosters.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
Seems like WOTC (or Hasbro more specifically) really wants to turn D&D into a board game! Here's a link: Amazon.com: Legend of Drizzt: A Dungeons & Dragons Board Game (4th Edition D&D): Toys & Games .

Well, it's better what TSR tried to do:

dmwgle.jpg

Turning D&D into a coloring book. What have your clawlike hands wrought...

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
There was a theory proposed in a different forum that it could be a brilliant multi-tiered marketing strategy.

Offer board games, which include minis and map tiles, and have simple D&D-derived rules. You can sell them to a broader audience than just D&D players, so prices go down.

Then offer the full game as a step up for people who like the board game. Or, for people who already play the tabletop game, point them to the board games to get minis and maps at prices comparable with buying the old mini boosters.

Sounds like a winner. And cross-market the dungeon tiles (and some minis packs) as boardgame expansions.

Quickleaf

Legend
I remember that thread and I think that is probably the strategy the WotC folks have in mind (let's hope Hasbro doesn't interfere).

But how mainstream are these boardgames? I haven't seen them in the larger bookstores. I mean if it's about Drizzt you've got to have it right next to the novels about him, just seems like basic marketing.

kaomera

Explorer
Well, I'm not really a fan of you-know who, but the board games have been damn good fun so far, "Legend of..." should be more of the same. What's going to be interesting (to me, at least) is seeing if there's any published / potential use for Conquest of Nerath as a tool for handling larger-scale events within a D&D campaign.

And I hope you're not hatin' on the AD&D coloring album... Actually I could go for a 4e coloring album. That would be cool.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
Well, I'm not really a fan of you-know who, but the board games have been damn good fun so far, "Legend of..." should be more of the same. What's going to be interesting (to me, at least) is seeing if there's any published / potential use for Conquest of Nerath as a tool for handling larger-scale events within a D&D campaign.

And I hope you're not hatin' on the AD&D coloring album... Actually I could go for a 4e coloring album. That would be cool.

Oh, it's a good product. I just hope it won't replace AD&D or Skills & Powers. It can be perfect as a gateway product, of course.

frankthedm

First Post
Overall, these board games are good idea, But this one, I have reservations about. It will either come down to Dice fights to see who plays Drizzle or there will need to be 4 Drizzle clones in the box for those who don't want to play a sidekick character.

Last edited:

Remove ads