Munchkin Monk Build

Dandu

First Post
I actually find that guide to be somewhat helpful (actually not...), and very darn amusing. Of course, not everyone can agree on everything. Also, magic items are something EVERYONE USES. It's almost a fact, with the exception being low-fantasy settings or magic-dead ones.
When half or more of your WBL is tied up in partially charged wands (where are you going to find a partially charged wand of polymorph with exactly the number of charges you need?) that you have a moderate chance of activating at best, whose caster level is low enough that a dispel magic spell will make you cry, which max out at level 4 spells, without whom your build cannot function, I think we have a problem.

Or to put it another way:

Look at his example monk builds and ask yourself a few questions. How much HP does his level 10 monk have? What is his attack bonus? How high is his damage per round? How is he scouting for the party and to get a surprise round on enemies if he is permanently Enlarged? What is his UMD check and how likely is it that he will succeed in reaching the DC 20 check to activate a wand? A scroll? What is this masterwork tool of UMD that he is using to boost his UMD check?

Will it be enough to survive in combat against an 11 headed hydra? Monstrous Scorpion? Bebelith? Sorcerer of the equivalent level?

Last edited:

kha7id7ea

First Post
Can I get any actual help? Rather than just arguing about the definition of munchkin. I am not interested in playing a wand using monk. Any classes, feats, races that would help in optimizing a monk would be nice.

Dandu

First Post
Being a Dwarf lets you take the feat Hammer Fist, which allows you to add 1.5*Str mod on your unarmed strikes. Cannot be used in conjunction with Flurry of Blows, however.

Dandu

First Post
Putting Psychic Warrior on a Monk actually works well provided that you don't take more than 2 levels of monk.

kha7id7ea

First Post
Thanks for the help. I am aware of the tier system, additionally no class (save the druid) is out of the box optimized. I would like to optimize a monk build to teach my DM not to be so lazy. Recently my DM has nerfed the polymorph/wildshape rules as well as the rules for metamagic reduction to the point that druids, wizards and clerics resemble their pathfinder counterparts. This happened shortly after playing a metamagic using wizard in the sinister spire module. I one-shot a large sized dessicator after he one-shot our tank, while only using a suddenly maximized and empowered fireball. My DM thinks that is far to overpowered, even though it was all possible form one feat from the PHB II and a relatively cheap empower soulshard. I am trying to teach this DM not to be lazy, and that any pc can easily be put in check through careful planning.

Dandu

First Post
I one-shot a large sized dessicator after he one-shot our tank, while only using a suddenly maximized and empowered fireball. My DM thinks that is far to overpowered, even though it was all possible form one feat from the PHB II and a relatively cheap empower soulshard. I am trying to teach this DM not to be lazy, and that any pc can easily be put in check through careful planning.
Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!

Remove ads