My PF Questions

SeaJay

Love, Respect, Understanding
I thought I'd lump all my PF questions here instead of barraging the forum.

page 170:Tremendous Strength: For Strength scores not shown on Table 7–4, find the Strength score between 20 and 29 that has the same number in the “ones” digit as the creature’s Strength score does and multiply the numbers in that row by 4 for every 10 points the creature’s Strength is above the score for that row.

Could someone provdie an example here please? It's confusing me. Let's say a creature has a strength of 42.

Thank you

Volaran

First Post
For example, a creature has a strength score of 35.

You would locate 25 on the Carrying Capacity table. For Str 25, light load is anything 266 lbs or under, medium is 267-533 lbs, and heavy is 234-800lbs.

Then, to find out the capacities for Str 35, multiply by 4. Light load is 1064lbs or lower, medium is 1065-2132lbs, heavy is 2133-3200lbs.

If the creature's strength was 45, you'd multiply by 4 again to get 4256 or lower for light, 4257-8528lbs for medium, and 8529-12800lbs for heavy.

SeaJay

For example, a creature has a strength score of 35.

You would locate 25 on the Carrying Capacity table. For Str 25, light load is anything 266 lbs or under, medium is 267-533 lbs, and heavy is 234-800lbs.

Then, to find out the capacities for Str 35, multiply by 4. Light load is 1064lbs or lower, medium is 1065-2132lbs, heavy is 2133-3200lbs.

If the creature's strength was 45, you'd multiply by 4 again to get 4256 or lower for light, 4257-8528lbs for medium, and 8529-12800lbs for heavy.
Awesome. That's what I thought it might be but wasn't sure

Thank you

SeaJay

A friend of mine who knows his 3.5 inside out, told me that Fighters are weak compared to the other classes. They get screwed when it comes to feats and all that.

Has PF rectified this at all?

Also, what is a Gish Prestige Class and why does trying to multiclass without these still suck?

If that makes sense

A friend of mine who knows his 3.5 inside out, told me that Fighters are weak compared to the other classes. They get screwed when it comes to feats and all that.

Has PF rectified this at all?

In PF, as in 3.x and legacy D&D editions, spellcasters "win" at higher levels. PF improved the lot of nonspellcasters, and gave them many, many more options and abilities so that the difference is not as marked as it is in, say, 3.5, but the Cleric still has a good shot at being as good a fight as the fighter, and can do even more besides.

So, yes, PF has rectified this, but it is not entirely solved.

Also, what is a Gish Prestige Class and why does trying to multiclass without these still suck?

If that makes sense

A Gish is a fighter-mage, and a Gish PrC is one that makes a fighter- wizard multiclass actually effective. If you don't take levels in such a class, you will not be an effective character. But, see also the Magus base class in the Ultimate Magic playtest.

SeaJay

In PF, as in 3.x and legacy D&D editions, spellcasters "win" at higher levels. PF improved the lot of nonspellcasters, and gave them many, many more options and abilities so that the difference is not as marked as it is in, say, 3.5, but the Cleric still has a good shot at being as good a fight as the fighter, and can do even more besides.

So, yes, PF has rectified this, but it is not entirely solved.

A Gish is a fighter-mage, and a Gish PrC is one that makes a fighter- wizard multiclass actually effective. If you don't take levels in such a class, you will not be an effective character. But, see also the Magus base class in the Ultimate Magic playtest.
Thank you for the info Patryn

SeaJay

Not so much a question, more an observation and a whinge. I was playing 3.5 the other night, I had a ranger, 5th level. Best he could do was 2 attacks a round with his bow, doing 1d8 damage on both attacks. Pretty lame I thought. Especially as the cleric, two fighters, and even the thief were doing considerably more damage.

Now for a question. I heard there was a Pathfinder Basic game in the works. Is this true, if so, when can we expect to see it?

IronWolf

blank
Now for a question. I heard there was a Pathfinder Basic game in the works. Is this true, if so, when can we expect to see it?

Yes, there is a Pathfinder Intro/Basic set in the works. I believe they hope to have it ready for the holiday season, but a formal release date has not been announced to my knowledge.

SeaJay

Has anyone tinkered with the damage system in d&d? It's probably the biggest gripe I have with the system, regardless of edition. I know my last few entries make it look like I'm just complaining, but in truth, I really like PF, but I want to sort one thing out before I delve into it for real.

Damage for me, for the most part is too low.

In my last d&d campaign, I introduced Fate Points, and one of the things you can do with them, was, if you rolled a maximum on a damage dice, you spent a Fate Point, and re-rolled the damage dice adding the result to the first. If that came up a maximum, you got to re-roll that too, and so on. You only needed to spend the single Fate Point in order to initiate the damage re-rolls.

This obviously made the game more deadly, and there was a healthy respect for opponents, regardless of what weapon they held, or who they were.

Have you done similar?

IronWolf

blank
Has anyone tinkered with the damage system in d&d? It's probably the biggest gripe I have with the system, regardless of edition. I know my last few entries make it look like I'm just complaining, but in truth, I really like PF, but I want to sort one thing out before I delve into it for real.

Damage for me, for the most part is too low.

I have not tinkered with it at all. From my experience low damage has not really been an issue. At 9th level we are starting to get to the point the optional massive damage rule can come into effect.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases