My PF Questions

concerro

Explorer
Not so much a question, more an observation and a whinge. I was playing 3.5 the other night, I had a ranger, 5th level. Best he could do was 2 attacks a round with his bow, doing 1d8 damage on both attacks. Pretty lame I thought. Especially as the cleric, two fighters, and even the thief were doing considerably more damage.

Now for a question. I heard there was a Pathfinder Basic game in the works. Is this true, if so, when can we expect to see it?

Your 3.5 rules guy should be helping you out here. They can only keep up with the fighter when fighting a favored enemy or if you use the guide variant, but even without it they should still be able to out damage a cleric.

This is my 6th level ranger's results from a PBP combat I did. Attack 1 Many shot, rapid shot, and deadly Aim
1d20 + 13 ⇒ (9) + 13 = 22 If the shot hits 2d8 + 16 ⇒ (8, 3) + 16 = 27 Attack 2
1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26 If the shot hits 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Attack 3
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17 If the shot hits 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Attack 4
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29 If the shot hits 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

That is a combined 63 points of damage in one round.

PS:I just read that you are still using 3.5. I would suggest looking up a swift hunter build in that case, and I would also suggest getting a strength bow.

Last edited:

concerro

Explorer
I think a lot of my misgivings, or all actually of it, stems from the fact that I like my players to have a healthy respect in combat. Not running scared, just enough to make them reallise, that guy with the dagger 'could' make my life very difficult. The fact is, right now, a dagger wielding opponent is more or less laughed at.

Any weapon can be dangerous. It all depends on the build, more than the weapon(melee) to be honest.

SeaJay

Love, Respect, Understanding
I've this irrational beef with errata. What 'print' edition is the current Pathfinder core rule book in?

Thanks

SeaJay

I'm confused with how many spells a sorcerer has at first level, and how many she can cast.

PAGE 71: [A] sorcerer can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on Table 3–14. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Charisma.

Then

PAGE 71: Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a sorcerer knows is not affected by her Charisma score; the numbers on Table 3–15 are fixed.

Assuming a Charisma 15 then:

A Sorcerer can cast FOUR 1st and ONE 2nd per day, but knows only FOUR 0 and TWO 1st?

She can cast spells but doesn't necessarily have access to them yet?

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Assuming a Charisma 15 then:

A Sorcerer can cast FOUR 1st and ONE 2nd per day, but knows only FOUR 0 and TWO 1st?

She can cast spells but doesn't necessarily have access to them yet?

you are correct on the number of spells known. a sorcerer can cast 3 first level and 0 2nd level spells at first level sorcerer. they can't cast 2nd level spells until 4th level.

SeaJay

you are correct on the number of spells known. a sorcerer can cast 3 first level and 0 2nd level spells at first level sorcerer. they can't cast 2nd level spells until 4th level.
I think with the Charisma modifier, the spells cast is also right.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
charisma mod does not allow you to cast spells higher then allowed on the chart. First level characters can only cast first level spells.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases