My PF Questions

SeaJay

Love, Respect, Understanding
Yes, as do spells whose casting time is 1 full-round action (e.g., a sorceror using a metamagic feat on a spell with a normal casting time of 1 standard action).
Ok I'm confused.

It says in the book that 1 full round action spells are cast on you next turn on your initiative:

"A spell that takes one round to cast is a full-round action. It comes into effect just before the beginning of your turn in the round after you began casting the spell

Then it says "Spells that take a full-round action to cast take effect in the same round that you begin casting..."

Last edited:

Volaran

First Post
A spell that has a casting time of "1 full round" takes up all your actions for that round, but you get to use the full effects of that spell, whatever they may be.

A spell that takes "1 round" to cast, is technically a full round action, but is actually taking even longer to cast. You're still continuing to cast the spell while everyone else in the initiative order acts again, and you finish the casting just before your next turn. The spell doesn't come into effect until the beginning of your next turn, and you can act normally. You can also be attacked by other people while you're doing this, which may force one or more concentration checks in order to complete the spell.

The most common spells with 1 round casting times are the summon spells. So, for example, you have a sorcerer casting "Summon Monster I"

Round 1: Sorcerer begins casting. This uses up all his actions.
Round 2: Spell complete. A celestial eagle appears and begins to move at the sorcerer's direction. The sorcerer also has his full range of options for this round, so he can move, cast again, etc.

It also might go like this.

Round 1: Sorcerer begins casting. This uses up all his actions.
Enemy fighter gets to go. Notices the sorcerer is casting, and shoots an arrow at him, which hits. The sorcerer takes damage, and is forced to make a concentration check to finish casting his spell. He succeeds.
A second enemy fighter gets to go, and also shoots an arrow at the sorcerer, hitting him and forcing a second concentration check. This time the sorcerer fails the check and the spell fizzles.
Round 2: Nothing is summoned, but the sorcerer can act as normal.

So, unlike normal casting, where you only generally need to worry about concentration checks if you're casting defensively, grappled, or drawing attacks of opportunity, a spell with a 1-round casting time offers more opportunities for foes to interrupt the casting. A spellcaster attempting this will likely want to make sure that he is unseen, or otherwise protected before beginning.

SeaJay

Page 218: “When he prepares spells for the coming day, all the spells he has cast within the last 8 hours count against his daily limit

I’m not sure I understand this, what’s it saying?

Dingo333

First Post
Say you make camp, your watch is not for 4 hour

you get 4ish hours of sleep/rest then are woken up for your watch, during your watch, you remember no one casted alarm and proceed to do so.

2 hours later, your shift is over and you can get another 4 hours.

when you wake up, you can prepare your spells again, but you can not re-prepare the slot you used for alarm 6ish hours ago

Volaran

First Post
So, say a wizard normally goes to sleep at midnight and prepares his spells at 8am.

If he's not interrupted, everything is cool.

If he's woken up at 5am by a surprise attack, and uses some of his prepared spells (say 2 castings of magic missile and one fireball), he can still go back to sleep when things are done, and prepare spells in the morning.

However, since those spells (2 1st level spells and one 3rd level spell) were used in the 8-hour period before he prepares his spells in the morning, those spell slots are unavailable for preparation/use that day.

SeaJay

This internet thing is amazing! I'm amazed at how we managed to play before its arrival.

Thanks both :)

SeaJay

From page 398: For example, using this chart, four CR 8 creatures (worth
4,800 XP each) are equivalent to a CR 12 creature (worth 19,200 XP).

The math works, as 4,800 x 4 = 19,200.

But when I try the same with 6 CR 12 Creatures at 19,200, I get 115,200 xp and not 102,400 as shown on the table.

Am I wrong to think this is all based purely on multiplication?

-----------------------------------------------------------

What mode of calculating xp do you use, exact, abstract, something else?

-----------------------------------------------------------
What exactly are all the 1-3, 4-5, and 6+ headings for on table 12-2, 398?

Generally, every doubling of the number of monsters increases the CR-equivalent by 2.

So two CR8 creatures are roughly equivalent to a CR10 (8+2); 4 of them (2 * 2) are roughly equivalent to a CR12.

8 would be roughly equivalent to CR 14; 6, though is somewhere between a CR14 and a CR12, so the number should be pretty close to the CR13 value.

This calculation method tends to break down once you start hitting really large numbers of opponents; 128 CR 1 orcs are not a realistic challenge for level 15 characters.

I don't calculate XP in my games; I just have the players level up at appropriate times.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases