My PF Questions

SeaJay

Love, Respect, Understanding
Touch Attacks page 187

Holding the Charge:

"You can continue to make touch attacks round after round."

"You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action."

This makes it sound like you cast the spell successfully once, and then you can go aroud discharging it as many times as you like.

IronWolf

blank
Touch Attacks page 187

Holding the Charge:

"You can continue to make touch attacks round after round."

We need more of the rule to see what they mean. Here it is from the PFSRD:

d20pfsrd.com said:
If you don't discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the charge indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges.

So if you cast something like shocking grasp, try to use it in an attack and miss - the spell does not discharge, you can try to make the attack again next round without needing to recast Shocking Grasp. If you miss again in the next round the spell is still not discharged and you can try again next round.

If you do touch your opponent the spell is discharged.

Malgwyn said:
"You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action."

This is more for spells that all you to touch more than one person which will be stated in the spell. For example the spell teleport allows you to cast it on yourself and one additional creature for every 3 levels you have. This section just lets you know how long it takes to touch the other people you want to use the spell on and you can touch up to 6 of them as a full round action.

SeaJay

We need more of the rule to see what they mean. Here it is from the PFSRD:

So if you cast something like shocking grasp, try to use it in an attack and miss - the spell does not discharge, you can try to make the attack again next round without needing to recast Shocking Grasp. If you miss again in the next round the spell is still not discharged and you can try again next round.

If you do touch your opponent the spell is discharged.

This is more for spells that all you to touch more than one person which will be stated in the spell. For example the spell teleport allows you to cast it on yourself and one additional creature for every 3 levels you have. This section just lets you know how long it takes to touch the other people you want to use the spell on and you can touch up to 6 of them as a full round action.
Thanks for clarifying this for me

SeaJay

How are Feats dealt with in npc stat blocks in adventure modules?

For example, I took this from an early level adventure by Paizo:

feats.jpg

Does the npc stat block include all modifiers to statistics due to the feats?

And more importantly, if not, how do you manage to keep the game moving if you have to keep looking them up? I imagine some high level npcs would have a load of feats.

Thanks

BobROE

Explorer
Does the npc stat block include all modifiers to statistics due to the feats?

And more importantly, if not, how do you manage to keep the game moving if you have to keep looking them up? I imagine some high level npcs would have a load of feats.

Thanks

Any passive things should be (Weapon Focus, Iron Will, etc), if there not, it's in error.

Some active things may be, but will generally be called out in the tactics text in the stat block (stuff like Power Attack).

Really situational things you have to remember to apply yourself (stuff like Mobility).

And how do you keep it moving? Look them up in advance. Don't really worry about it. Make educated guesses as what they do.

Remember, your players wont know what abilities the NPCs are supposed to have so if you forget one, or make a mistake they wont notice.

Squire James

First Post
If you're a DM deciding on the feat list for a fairly high-level opponent, mentally select a "theme feat" (maybe 2 if they're simple) for the character. Make sure that feat is possible to select, then select it and its prerequisites. Then fill in the remaining slots (if any) with things like Toughness, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Iron Will, and Great Fortitude. These add a simple mechanical bonus useful all the time in combat.

For spell-casters, pick the 5 or 6 spells he would actually use, and kind of ignore everything else. If the spell-caster lasts that long in combat, he should either be winning or should be considering an exist strategy regardless of his actual HP total. It's amazing how many villains can get away if they simply start running BEFORE they lose half their HP!

N'raac

First Post
For spell-casters, pick the 5 or 6 spells he would actually use, and kind of ignore everything else. If the spell-caster lasts that long in combat, he should either be winning or should be considering an exist strategy regardless of his actual HP total. It's amazing how many villains can get away if they simply start running BEFORE they lose half their HP!

What I find critical for enemy spellcasters is remembering they typically lack the party support PC spellcasters enjoy. Their spell selection needs to reflect that. They need ways to get away from melee, ways to interpose obstacles frustrating combatants trying to get at them and defensive spells way more than PC's ever do.

For higher level spellcasters, fourth level spells are incredibly easy to fill out. Dimension Door. The rest of the list is a trap to curtail your mobility.

They should also have a tactical plan written up beforehand, and followed in play. And I agree - once they recognize they are in real danger, "win" is quickly replaced by "escape". These aren't brave, heroic PC's who will die for their cause - they are, at heart, cowardly villains whose own skin means more than any other reward. As well, NPC's and monsters that flee rather than battle to the death set a good example for PC's to follow in future if they are overwhelmed. "Retreat and regroup" beats "die where you stand".

SeaJay

Are Paizo planning to release a new edition of Pathfinder soon?

I ask because I'm thinking of buying the hardback and a few others too.

EDIT: Or what's the latest print edition that's out?

Thanks

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases