(IR) Preparations for the IR, Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Ronald

Explorer
Planar races

Mr. Draco,

I believe you can start claiming planar races now. Check with the rules on the first page of this thread. I will check and get back to you.

Mr. Draco

First Post
I was thinking of summoning:

*Xill
*Salamanders
*Rakshasa
(these are all from the 3rd edition MM)

Are these ok? I know some of them aren't posted in the official list.

Last edited:

lynux

First Post
about summoning

I am curious to the limitations of summoning, could I summon Dragons even Dire Drakes?
If you just say summons like constructs and stuph I would like to know the ACTUAL limitations and your allowing of how far this ability may go.
Please post your thoughts

---------------------------------------
‚킽‚µ ‚í
‚¢‚»‚ª‚µ‚¢
‚Å‚·
---------------------------------------

Last edited:

kaboom

First Post
Check your E-mails

Check your E-mails please Black Omega, Kesh, and Alyx

The Sky-Sea League claims the folowing planers
The Planars of the Elemental Plane of Air (Air elementals, neutral) PL see the Planar Arms Race
The Planars of the Elemental Plane of Air (Djinn, good) see the Planar Arms Race
The Planars of the Elemental Plane of Water (Water elementals, neutral) PL see the Planar Arms Race

William Ronald

Explorer
Mr. Draco:

I have an excerpt from the rules section that should help:

RULE EIGHT - THE BASICS OF THE PLANAR ARMS RACE

You maniacs want to gate in the largest numbers of demons, devils, and celestials possible (and elementals!) to help you, right?
And the Shadow Empire wants to bring in legions of shadow beings from the Plane of Shadow.
Etc, etc, etc.

Very well.

If you state you are peitioning the Planars to come help you, they come and help.

ANY POWER MAY SUMMON PLANARS APPROPRIATE TO THAT NATIONS ALIGNMENT (If Veluna summons demons, that won't cut it, and if Ivid summons eladrin, they will leave.)

Two or more nations may summon the same kind of Planars (haha, I have more demons than you do!)
There is no limit to the number of Planars you can summon.
Again, you gain 3 points per Turn in the Planar Arms race.

And again, you MUST TELL ME you are summoning Planars.
If you do not tell me, then next Turn you have no additional Power Level from the Planars.

You must convince me that the Planars will come.
If you say: I summon Planars, that is not enough.
If you say: I summon Planars, and beg the Celestials to save our country from the evil forces threatening us, that is another matter.
If you say to the evil Planars: come and enjoy destroying and pillaging, that is another matter.
Generally, Planars expect a reward for their service. They may not demand one from you outright, but be assured that you will be made to pay, one way or another ... and the method of payment will be chosen by the Planars and not you, in all likelihood!

EXCEPTION TO RULE EIGHT:

If you are playing ONLY Planars - such as is the case with Frigid Spleen, who is playing only the Eladrin - you are under a special rule.

You begin with a Power Level of 9.
You are AUTOMATICALLY considered to be in the Planar Arms Race.
You MAY enter the Magical Arms Race.
You MAY enter the Technological Arms Race.
You MAY enter the Undead Arms Race (there are good spirits as well as evil ones.)

This is an exception. Only those who begin the IR, and who CONTINUE the IR, playing only Planars, may employ this rule.
If the person playing Planars chooses a Non-Planar power in addition to his Planars, he reverts to the rules of everyone else.

He does not get two Planar Arms Races (one for his Planars, and one for his Non-Planars)
He does not get two Technological Arms Races (one for his Planars, and one for his Non-Planars)
He does not get two Magical Arms Races (one for his Planars, and one for his Non-Planars)
He does not get two Undead Arms Races (one for his Planars, and one for his Non-Planars)

The same rules above apply to those starting the IR playing only:

Planars (as noted)
Undead
Anything else that could be conjured, and somehow conscrued into causing me to having to declare another Arms Race (such as, say, a Magical Construct Arms Race)

Otherwise, look what would happen:

I start the Planar Arms Race, the Magical Arms Race, the Technological Arms Race, and the Undead Arms Race.
I instruct my Planars and Undead to begin their own Planar, Magical, Technological, and Undead Arms Races.
They, in turn, instruct their Planars and Undead to begin their own Planar, Magical, Technological, and Undead Arms races.
And they in turn, instruct their Planar and ...

Lynux,

Here are the rules for the magical arms race:

RULE NINE - THE BASICS OF THE MAGICAL ARMS RACE

The Magical Arms Race ... ah, isn't it wonderful!

The return of Kas means the return of the Arcane Age to Oerth.
Now, EVERYONE can learn those 10th and 11th level spells.
You can all become little (or big) Netherils!

Again, you must state you are beginning magical research.
Again, if you do not tell me you are beginning magical research, you get nothing the next turn.
Again, you gain 3 points at the start of the next turn, and every turn thereafter, for your efforts.

The Shadow Empire, and Vecna and Kas and their Legions, have the jump on you all in this respect, but it is already factored into their starting Power Level.
They CAN, however (and automatically do) continue their own research, so they automatically gain 3 points per Turn.

There is no limit on how many points you can gain from magical research, for magic has no limit to it's power.

When one of you has gained 50 points from the Magical Arms Race, you may declare you are throwing Karsus's Avatar (you can now throw 12th level spells.)
If you do this, on the NEXT TURN after you stated this, EVERYONE loses ALL of their Power Level from the Magical Arms race for that Turn only.
The following turn after that, things return to normal.

(Of course, if everyone starts throwing Karsus's Avatar every turn, nobody is going have the benefits of their research ...)

Everyone.

Ideally, I think that those of us who are major powers, meaning 29 points and higher, should give new people and lesser powers a chance to claim new powers. I don't want to discourage people from joining because everything seems claimed.

Remember people, you can contest with someone for a power or a faction.

Last edited:

Valkys

First Post
Planars

As I understand it:

You may claim Planars now. If you control a power other than Planars in addition to the Planars, the PL for the Planars is 0. You're just saying that you will enter the Planar Arms Race starting on turn 1.

If you control only Planar powers, each Planar power claimed, max 3, is PL 9.

So, claiming now won't add to your PL, it just means that you'll get to summon the races you want when you are able to start the Planar Arms Race.

Mr. Draco

First Post
William: Thanks! I just wanted to post what I'll be summoning during the first turn now so I don't forget. Later (read: when edena comes back or the first turn) I'll post why they would help me.

Last edited:

William Ronald

Explorer
Alignment limits on what you can claim

Hello,

Am I correct in assuming that there is a rule explaining how alignment can limit your claims to powers? I seem to recall Edena saying something about this.

Also, does anyone have the Dragon Magazine CD Rom. Edena wants information on the quasi-deities of Greyhaw?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases