D&D 3E/3.5 Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil (3.5)

Alexander123

First Post
I was thinking of a way to defeat an Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil and I thought of the set Seven Veils in the MIC. Each veil in that set gives you immunity to one of the 7 prismatic effects.

Rhun

First Post
That would probably work, but would be fairly limited. Are you looking for a way to defeat a PC IotSV, or an NPC IotSV? Just seems like you wouldn't get much use out of the items unless there were a lot of Initiates running around.

Alexander123

First Post
That would probably work, but would be fairly limited. Are you looking for a way to defeat a PC IotSV, or an NPC IotSV? Just seems like you wouldn't get much use out of the items unless there were a lot of Initiates running around.

It seems like a handy item to have just in case you are presented with such a situation or even prismatic spells, with no IotSV around.

kitcik

Adventurer
Two words: opportunity cost.

There are a great many useful magic items, but which are the most useful? Have never seen an optimized build on any site that includes wearing 7 veils.

Alexander123

First Post
Two words: opportunity cost.

There are a great many useful magic items, but which are the most useful? Have never seen an optimized build on any site that includes wearing 7 veils.

First, all the veils are not necessary.

You only need to protect yourself against the indigo and violet veils, the others you can simply save against and/or take the damage.

Also, on page 233 of the MIC, it allows you to add different magical abilities to magic items to create for instance a gauntlets of rust and ghostfighting. This would allow you to add the veils to any other equipment you are wearing.

Near the higher levels, you have enough money to be able to afford such things.

You can reduce the cost of magic items by crafting them and ideally by having an artificer who specializes in crafting magic items craft them.

Rhun

First Post
It seems like a handy item to have just in case you are presented with such a situation or even prismatic spells, with no IotSV around.

My comment was merely making the point that (at least in the games that I've played/DMed) prismatics are not very common. The only game that I can think of that was a real exception was where I was playing a high level IotSV.

kitcik

Adventurer
Alexander123: your post is good advice for the original poster (yourself), but does not in any way refute the points that Rhun and I made.

In any case, if you are only worried about Indigo and Violet:
- Indigo: Wand of Daylight. Done.
- Violet: much more difficult b/c it requires a successful Dispel, which would require a high casting level on a wand. Clearly, boosting your will save would help you personally, but would not save your stuff. Maybe an obdurium reach weapon or missle weapon ammo?

Alexander123

First Post
And the two veils we are concerned with here only cost a total of 18000 so it is not that expensive.

I don't see how it doesn't refute what you said. You said it is an issue of opportunity cost. I proved that the opportunity cost is not that high.

And as far as your not seeing optimized builds concerning veils just because the item has an innocuous sounding name does not make it a weak item.

The reason why the veils are better than a wand of daylight for example is because you can activate them as a swfit action instead of wasting a standard action to do so.

And often times people are not going to have the exact combination of spells necessary to take down a prismatic effect prepared.

kitcik

Adventurer
And the two veils we are concerned with here only cost a total of 18000 so it is not that expensive.

The reason why the veils are better than a wand of daylight for example is because you can activate them as a swfit action instead of wasting a standard action to do so.

And often times people are not going to have the exact combination of spells necessary to take down a prismatic effect prepared.

In all seriousness, although the next part of my post will contain sarcasm, I mean this part earnestly: if the veils are cheap to you, they do what you want, and you like them as general items to have, then what are you looking for in this thread? I would try to help, but I no longer understand the question. You seem to have EXACTLY what you want.

I don't see how it doesn't refute what you said. You said it is an issue of opportunity cost. I proved that the opportunity cost is not that high.

And as far as your not seeing optimized builds concerning veils just because the item has an innocuous sounding name does not make it a weak item.

I didn't say it was a high opportunity cost or a low one. I also don't think the "innocuous sounding name" has anything to do with these items not being seen in optimized builds. Bottom line, for general purpose campaigns there are better ways to spend your money (opportunity cost), even on the margin. The veils are not necessarily "weak," their usefulness is simply limited to certain uncommon circumstances. However, if they are useful in your campaign, then go for it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases