Help me build my first Pathfinder character (fighter/rogue)

buddhafrog

First Post
I've only played 4e and am excited about joining my first Pathfinder game - but I'm feeling unsettled about my character. I'd so much appreciate it if anyone could help me build my character so that I know I'm doing it right. (*I've found Pathfinder folks general love to help new players get acquainted, so thanks)

I haven't had the time to explore how my character might advance through levels. I *love* how Pathfinder lets you multiclass, but it also leaves me with so many options that I'm not too sure I'm doing it correctly. Also b/c of this, it's hard for me to be able to see how my character might advance into a themed character and overcome some of his weakness at further levels. I'm not too concerned about min/maxing but well... maybe I'm a little concerned about not maxing enough.

This week (tomorrow March 19th) we will start at level 2 but I haven't had time to figure my character out (so I come her with my beggar cup out). I have some leeway to change my character until tomorrow, after that, no changes:

1/2 Orc
Str 18, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8

Lvl 1: fighter using a Orc Double Axe
Feat: Two-Weapon Fighting; Weapon Focus (double-axe)
Skills: Intimidate, Survival
Armor: Studded Leather Armor (armor check -1 penalty)
AC 15, touch 12, flat-footed 13
Melee: Orc double axe +6 (1d8+6, 20/x3) or double axe +4 (1d8+4, 20.x3) and (1d8+2, 20/x3)
Ranged: shortbow +3 (1d6, 20/x3)

Lvl 2: Rogue (or party has no rogue and I was thinking two-weapon + sneak attack = good idea)
Feat: ?????
Skills: lots - all rogue-ish
Armor: Armor: Studded Leather Armor (armor check -1 penalty)
AC 15, touch 12, flat-footed 13

Q: I'm concerned about my armor class, but I as a rogue I don't like my -1 armor check penalty either. Thoughts?
Q: My 2nd level feat (rogue 1st level) - not sure how this is termed. Suggestions?
Q: Skills: I'm allowed +4 when I rank in skills - but only once per skill even if I improve in that skill in different classes (fighter and rogue), right?
Q: I'm even considering Barbarian multi-classing later to get the added speed which would help with sneak attack opportunities - is this just stupid?

Going forward, we might play up to Lvl 12 or so - any links or suggestions on how to semi-optimize my build as a 1/2 Orc, two-weapon, double-axe fighter/rogue? I'm a beginner, so nothing you say will be too simple - any advice is recommended. I'm hoping to build a useful enough rogue, but a type of character that is a little ruthless, jumps into fights too quickly, is usually melee-based, and used double-weapon to differentiate him from our other fighter. Thanks!

buddhafrog

First Post
bumping this up - shameful post asking for help while offering nothing. Sorry. Part of what I'm asking is in Pathfinder, some feats and fighting styles are much more beneficial than others - but I have no idea what those are. Maybe the simple and best answer is just to play and figure it out, but hey...

Zil

Explorer
bumping this up - shameful post asking for help while offering nothing. Sorry. Part of what I'm asking is in Pathfinder, some feats and fighting styles are much more beneficial than others - but I have no idea what those are. Maybe the simple and best answer is just to play and figure it out, but hey...

I'd be inclined to just play and figure things out, but some feats to consider for the rogue portion of the character are those that let you move more easily around the encounters so you can better set up flanking opportunities. So things like dodge and mobility (and eventually spring attack) come to mind. Improved initiative is also nice as it increases the chance of getting a sneak attack in the first round of combat because you're more likely to catch folks flat footed. Because you're using a double bladed orcish axe two weapon fighting is certainly a good option.

Zil

Explorer
Q: I'm concerned about my armor class, but I as a rogue I don't like my -1 armor check penalty either. Thoughts?
Q: My 2nd level feat (rogue 1st level) - not sure how this is termed. Suggestions?
Q: Skills: I'm allowed +4 when I rank in skills - but only once per skill even if I improve in that skill in different classes (fighter and rogue), right?
Q: I'm even considering Barbarian multi-classing later to get the added speed which would help with sneak attack opportunities - is this just stupid?

I wouldn't worry too much about the AC. AC 15 is fine for a 2nd level character. If you go with dodge as a feat that will help some. The -1 Armor Check penalty is a drag though, but if you view your character more as a bruiser than a finesse character it probably works out. The one thing I would worry about is the small hit in making acrobatic (moving through threatened squares) checks to set up flanking opportunities while avoiding attacks of opportunity (see the acrobatics skill page 87 - 88 or Acrobatics - Pathfinder_OGC).

With regard to skills, you can only have the one +3 per class skill. Having two classes with the same class skill doesn't give you an additional +3 (see page 86 of the PF Core Book).

I personally wouldn't take the Barbarian class just to cherry-pick the faster move, but if you think it fits the character concept go for it.

pawsplay

Hero

I'm not sure what this means. At 2nd level, if you take a level of rogue, there is no feat.

Using the double-axe works well if you can get into flanking situations. Four levels of fighter is pretty good for getting weapon specialization, but there isn't much benefit in trying to go deeper, if you want to focus on rogue abilities. I would suggest the feat Fleet, sticking with light armor and surprising a foe now and then by being just that much faster.

Studded leather is good armor. Once you have a masterwork set or magic armor, you will have no ACP. Mithril chain is good later.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
My question is, what are the goals for your character build? Without that, it's a little tricky to advise.

While multiclassing in Pathfinder is no longer as "penalised", there are inherent benefits to sticking with a core class. One thing that I would consider is going all rogue, and for talents ask the DM if you can take fighter feats instead (technically, the rules limit you to one fighter feat or the talents are some of the more dex based fighter feats). If your wanting to get a slight edge on HP, the Toughness feat would offset the higher dice roll of every-other level. If you are taking fighter for the proficiancies, a single level-dip would work well in this instance, instead of every-other level.

But it all depends on what exactly your goals are...

pawsplay

Hero
I was actually thinking about this, and I was thinking all Rogue has its advantages. Select Combat Trick and Weapon Training as your 2nd and 4th level rogue talents. Sticking with one class means you get +1 hit point every level from your favored class if you want it.

Half-orc
Levels
1 Martial Weapon Proficiency (double axe)
2 talent: Combat Trick (Two Weapon Fighting)
3 Double Slice
4 talent: Weapon Training (double axe)
5 Toughness
6 talent: Stand Up
7 Dazzling Display
8 talent: Resiliency
9 Improved Two Weapon Fighting
10 talent: feat (Shatter Defenses)
11 Improved Critical (double axe)
12 talent: Slippery Mind

AC is basically going to come from high Dex and equipments and buffs, so this is an offense-heavy character. The basic strategy is to flank and go to town. In a pinch, Shatter Defenses allows him to demoralize opponents within 30 feet, then on the following round, unleash multiple attacks if anyone is foolish enough to remain in the area. This character doesn't have a lot of feat-based tactics, but instead relies on situation, sneak attack, and the advantages of large numbers of attacks (such as eating an AoO to perform multiple Sunder or Disarm attempts against Medium-sized foes).

udalrich

First Post
To improve your AC and avoid the armor check penalty, you can go with master work studded leather (+3 AC, +0 ACP) and then upgrade to a mithral chain shirt (+4 AC, +0 ACP) as you get more money.

If you use the two weapon fighter variant from the APG, you also get a +1 dodge bonus to AC when you full attack. (The rule seems to indicate that you need to use two weapons, not a double weapon, but most GM's should let you use a double weapon.) That comes at the 3rd level of fighter.

Dodge and mobility are potentially good feats, but I would not go to Spring Attack, since it limits you to one attack per round and is not compatible with two/double weapon fighting.

Other feats that might be worth considering are nimble moves and fleet. Being able to five foot step in difficult terrain means that you can always shift to set up the flank. Fleet will occasionally be very useful, when you need 35 feet of movement to get into flanking position. Or when someone tries to run away from you.

Straight rogue does have merits, but even a single level of fighter has merits. It boosts your fort save (a weak point) and essentially gives you two bonus feats, since you no longer need to take martial weapon proficiency (orc double axe).

pawsplay

Hero
Alternatively, you could take a single level of rogue for trapfinding, class skills, and skill points, but otherwise advance as a figher, perhaps using the Tempest variant. Also, double weapons are specified as working as if wielding two weapons, so any ability or trait that works with TWF works with a double weapons.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases