HM's Carrion Crown AP - IC

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"We did not come here to be questioned by..." Father Grimburrow starts to say.

"Padre!? They only wish to help. And the Lady knows we could use strong arms and stout hearts if the dead are becoming restless." He looks at the group and then to Kendra. "Mistress Lorrimor would it be alright if we retired to your fathers study for a more private conversation?"

"Yes. Please go ahead make yourselves at home, I will send in some wine if you wish."

"That would be most welcome. I think we have a lot of talking to do here."

With that said Kendra leads everyone to her father's study where they can speak without interruption. A half hour later she returns with a cheese and fruit tray and two bottles of a dark red wine for everyone to partake of.

Before Father Grimburrow takes a seat he notices the books and manuscripts lying about the table, desk, and even a few on the floor. "Yes you all have been delving into Harrowstone and Ravengro. And what is this about The Whispering Way? Are you saying that those old necromancers are here?"

"First I think we should answer their questions, Padre. Seems only fair before we ask more." Sheriff Caeller says filling a glass of wine.

"Let's see,"
he says swirling the dark wine in his glass. "You say you don't know about the memeorial? That is almost common enough knowledge I thought everyone would know about it."

Sitting the sheriff tries to recall all the other questions the group asked. He looks at Marshan and answers, "Well it wasn't scrawled out it was firmly written. And as to your other questions you may defend yourselves and those of this town with my blessing. And so far no one in town is missing we are looking into finding where the blood came from."

He takes a drink and looks to Firvin, "The undead you killed wasn't dug out of his grave. From what we discovered it looks like he dug himself out. And that means there is something besides evil cults trying to unsettle the peace of this little town."

"They are what is unsettling here," Father Grimburrow says with a huff. "They came to Ravengro and now we have not one but two strange assurances come to our doorstep in the same night. I wish to know now that your questions have been answered why you think The Whispering Way is involved and why doesn't it look like you are getting ready to leave Ravengro."

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Firvinianna Laali, Half Drow Elven Sorceress

Firvinianna settles into the study, amid the strewn about research and apologizes, "Actually Sheriff, a few of us did know something about the statue from the materials in the Professor's library. Though, we only read about it, never actually confirmed that it exists, mind you."

She looks to the grizzled clergyman and tries to be pleasant, but it is difficult on her elven patience even. She replies, "Father, we do not know that the Whispering Way is involved. However this much we do know, The Whispering Way’s goals are discovering formulae for creating liches and engineering the release of the Whispering Tyrant. Agents often travel to remote sites or areas plagued by notorious haunts or undead menaces to perform field research."

"If these secret cultists are behind the events in The Restlands, your current evidence might be all that you would have. However, a single Zombie is probably not threatening enough to interest them. But I am interested to know if there is more information about them in the church's records."

She decides that the Padre's question about them leaving, doesn't deserve an answer directly, but offers instead, "We have some suspicious impressions about the Professor's death and we would like to look into that. I know Kendra is pretty distraught over it, but we would appreciate the results of the investigation from you Sheriff. I suspect there were rumors about those circumstances too."

Firvinianna1-1.jpg
Firvinianna Laali

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Church records?" Father Grimburrow says arching an eyebrow. "That deal with The Whispering Way? I doubt you will find anything more than it seems you know already."

OCC: Info on The Whispering Way has been completed.

"You say you wish to investigate the Professor's accident? You must believe there is more to it than what it was."
The sheriff says sitting on the edge of his chair.

"Days before he died he came around asking after Harrowstone. Said he wanted to know about the people who worked there and the prisoners that were housed there. I told him all I knew from the stories I had heard."

He sits back and finishes his wine before he tells the group of Harrowstone. Time seems to stand still as he describes things the group already knows or might have guessed at, but actually more than half the day is gone when he finishes his tale. Near the end he hits on something that makes you think of the Professor's journal and what it said about The Whispering Way seeking out a certain person pertaining to Harrowstone.

"Originally, Harrowstone housed only local criminals, but as the prison's fame spread, other counties and distant lands began paying to have more dangerous criminals housed within this prison's walls. At the time of the great Harrowstone Fire, the number of particularly violent and dangerous criminals imprisoned within the dungeons below was at an all-time high."

"Now... at the time Harrowstone burned, five particularly notorious criminals had recently arrived at the prison. While the commonly held belief is that the tragic fire began accidentally after the riot began, in fact the prisoners had already seized control of the dungeon and had been in command of the lower level for several hours before the fire. Warden Hawkran triggered a deadfall to seal the rioting prisoners in the lower level, but in so doing trapped himself and nearly two dozen guards. The prisoners were in the process of escaping when the panicked guards accidentally started the fire in a desperate attempt to end the riot."

OCC: Harrowstone research complete. New research added to RG.

"Now there maybe something about those men in the church records, but I don't believe you all need to go nosing about Harrowstone stirring up trouble." Father Grimburrow says gruffly.

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Halál nods at Gregori's sage words. "Agreed. It seems the fire is stoked, the pot set to boil. And though we are not those who set the flame, Pharasma calls us to the task of quenching it."

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Firvinianna Laali, Half Drow Elven Sorceress

Firvinianna thanks the Sheriff for his tale and focuses her attention on the grizzled clergyman, "Father, surely you do not still think we are at cause for the town's troubles, just because we are recently arrived. Evidence is telling you that something or someone else is responsible. Surely a wise man of your intelligence can see where one has unwarranted bias to blame us. Some might even say it proves ignorance."

She continues to attempt to appease the priest and make him view the outsiders more favorably.

"We have freely offered to help look into our friend's death since it is unlikely that it was an accident. And we are also willing to look into these other problems as well. We cannot sit here in this manor while some nefarious person is potentially endangering our friend's daughter. Surely, even you can see the advantage of some cooperation."

Firvinianna1-1.jpg
Firvinianna Laali

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Halál also turns his attention fully to the padre, continuing his appeal to the devotion to the Lady of Death that the two of them share. He speaks respectfully, looking the man in the eye and allowing him fair chance to accurately judge the truth of his words. "Father Grimburrow, surely you must know that one such as I, raised virtually from birth in the service of Pharasma, would have no truck with anything smacking of the undead. I serve Her interests before all others, and would get to the bottom of this for Her sake as well as for the sake of my friend. I now believe that he died because of his investigation of this 'Whispering Way' and their interest in Harrowstone."

[sblock=Actions]Diplomacy (Aid Another) (1d20=14)[/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
Marshan keeps his mouth shut, even though there is a nagging voice in his head... [sblock=Toddy telepathicly nagging Marshan]"Tell that old coot to cough up the info and let us do our jobs! The way he keeps avoiding things, I bet he is in on it. Yeah. I am sure he is. Just get it over and clock him one! One good punch..."[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases