[Adventure] Scratching the Surface (Judge: Stonegod)

Son of Meepo

First Post
OOC: PCs:
Riaan_Caldamus (renau1g) - Human Swordmage|Warlock 7
Serek (Almightyfoon) - Dragonborn Runepriest 4
Crush (pacdidj) - Warforged Warlord 6
Karananak Bole (Vertexx69) - Wilden Druid 5
Ryk Tavishny (On Puget Sound) - Halfling Ranger 6
Varis d'Lyrandar (Walking Dad) - Half-Elf Bard 6

Major Quest: Rescue Kharrath, the Chief Engineer.
Minor Quest: Rescue the orcs.
Minor Quest: Maintain a good relationship with the orcs.

XP Awarded: 587 per PC.

Date Started: 22-MAR-2011
Judge: Stonegod

Rules:

I will make all initiative rolls. I will post the initiative order at the beginning of combat. PCs that all act between a set of monster actions can post in any order.

In order to speed up the game I will be facilitating self-adjutication of rolls in combat using a spreadsheet on Google Docs. Please go to this sheet (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...kZadm5DVzBjTjJYSURQTGc&hl=en&authkey=CNncgLAB) and fill in the section labeled PC Stats before we start.

I will be using ditzie for the battle map. (I will post the link at the beginning of combat. You need to carefully follow these instructions in order to retain the integrity of the map.)

1. Click the hyperlink of the last posted map.
2. Move your token.
3. Hit the Enter key.
4. The URL in the address bar will change, this is the link to the updated map. Copy and paste it into your post. (Please do not forget this).

Have fun.

You file into the private room at the tavern. The man from Rhogar's entourage that remains closes the door after you, ready to answer what questions he can.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Varis d'Lyrandar , Half-Elf Bard 5

Varis follows in.

[sblock=OOC]
Subscribing :)

Wishlist:
Level 3 dragonshard that increases lightning damage (I think it was the Eberron)

[sblock=Mini stat block]

Varis d'Lyrandar
Perception: 19 Insight: 19 Low-light Vision
AC 20 Fortitude 17 Reflex 18 Will 19
Initiative: +2
Hit Points: 49 / 49 Bloodied: 24
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist: -
Saving Throw: +2 vs charm, illusion, sleep
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge:12 Surges per day: 10 / 10
At-Will Powers: Lightning Longsword, Vicious Mockery, War Song Strike
Encounter Powers: Burning Spray, Shout of Triumph, Inspire Competence, Impelling Force, Word of Friendship, Majestic Word 2/2
Daily Powers: Stirring Shout, Song of Discord, Extra lightning damage

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]

pacdidj

First Post
Crush marches in behind Varis. "Good. A private place to talk. So, come now. Let's have out with it. What is the target of our mission to the Shadow Marches?," the warforged queries the herald again, determined to get an answer.

OOC: Subscribed!

Vertexx69

First Post
Karananak lopes languidly along with the others, still reading the papers slowly even in the changing light conditions. The wilden takes a seat toward the back of the little meeting room, so he can see all the others and the door to the cell. Eve has landed on her druid's arm again with all the corners and narrow halls. "No dis ear bein a fine place tuh be askin oar askins, witoat awl dem dare oda stories bein talled at once den." [sblock=Actions]Free: Speak
Minor:
Move: take a seat at the table
Standard: ...[/sblock][sblock=Swarmwhisper]Karananak Bole—Male Wilden Druid 5; Resist 5 Fire, (Resist 4 Melee/Ranged in Beast Form)
Initiative: +2, Low-Light, Passive Perception: 22, Passive Insight: 22
AC: 17, Fort: 18, Reflex: 15(17 in beast form), Will: 19 — Speed: 6
HP: 50/50, Bloodied: 25, Surge: 12, Surges left: 11/11
Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: Not Used, Milestones 0
Powers -
Savage Rend
Locust Swarm
Cold Wind

Scattered Form
Voyage of the Ancients/Wrath of the Destroyer/Pursuit of the Hunter
Battering Claws

Summon Pack Wolf
Summon Shadow Ape
Healing Infusion

Item Powers:
Summoner's Staff +2 (Daily ✦ Summons) Immediate Interrupt. Trigger - An enemy hits a creature Karananak summoned. Effect - Triggering enemy rerolls attack and must use 2nd roll.
Hunting Beasthide Armor +1 (Encounter ✦ Beast Form): Move Action. You shift 2 squares.
[sblock=Summons]Pack Wolf—Summons 1
AC: 17, Fort: 18, Reflex: 15, Will: 19 — Speed: 6
HP: 25/25; Bloodied 12
Bite +10 vs. Reflex; 1d6+7 damage, and if the wolf has combat advantage against the target, the target is knocked prone (+1d6 extra dmg).
Instinctive Effect:
If Karananak hasn't given the wolf any commands by the end of his turn, it attacks an adjacent prone creature. If it can't do that, it attacks an adjacent enemy if it can. Otherwise, it moves its speed to a square adjacent to an enemy.

Shadow Ape—Summons 5
AC: 17, Fort: 18, Reflex: 15, Will: 19 — Speed: 6, Climb 4
Slam +10 vs. Reflex; 1d8+7 damage, and all creatures have concealment from the target until the end of your next turn.
Instinctive Effect: If Karananak hasn't given the ape any commands by the end of his turn, it attacks an adjacent enemy if it can. Otherwise, it moves its speed to a square adjacent to an enemy.[/sblock]
Character Sheet
[/sblock][sblock=OOC]Intro post with description.

The private cells available in the back of the Tower's Shard are a great place to change over from the tavern thread an IC thread. :D

You'll have to forgive my attempt at a Jamaican accent, just try to sound it out phonetically or use the translation below. :cool:[sblock=Translation]Now this here's a fine place to ask our questions, without all those others telling their stories at the same time.[/sblock][/sblock]

Son of Meepo

First Post
"Good. A private place to talk. So, come now. Let's have out with it. What is the target of our mission to the Shadow Marches?,"

Well, I can only tell you what I know. As you know, House Tharashk's primary enterprise is mining dragonshards from the fields of the Shadow Marches. Lord Rhogar is in charge with setting up operations in a newly discovered field at the edge of the Crawling Swamp.

As with most of our mines, most of our labor force comes from the local orc tribes. They know the area best, are hard workers. In exchange they benefit greatly from the trade opportunities provided by House Tharashk.

Everything seemed to be in order until a month ago. Our miners started disappearing. We hired mercenaries to provide security, but we couldn't preotect them every hour of the day. Some disappeared in the mines, some on the way and even a few in their own homes. The orcs are superstitious, and are starting to get weary of the disappearances, there is even some talk that this is a bad omen of danger brought upon them by the mine's opening.

If this wasn't bad enough, Rhogar's chief engineer became one of the missing. Workers can be replaced, but Kharrath's disappearance is an immediate threat to the project.

So we need a team to locate and rescue our chief engineer and the miners. That's where you've come in. Kharrath is your primary objective, but saving the orcs will help allay their fears and maintain our working relationship. As representatives of House Tharashk, you will be expected to do your part to support our good name with the tribe. They've naturally become distrustful of so many mercenaries, so you may be our last shot with them.

OOC: This adventure should be worth a level to each PC. Please let me know what treasure you are looking for out of the adventure.

Walking Dad

First Post
Varis d'Lyrandar , Half-Elf Bard 5

"That sounds even more interesting than i hoped for! I was even looking for a certain dragonshard myself, so this could become part of the payment.
What languages do your mine workers speak?"

Varis asks after some excitement.

[sblock=OOC (includes wishlist)]

Wishlist:
Level 2 Eberron dragonshard of lightning
upgrades to +2 for current sword and armor.

[sblock=Mini stat block]

Varis d'Lyrandar
Perception: 19 Insight: 19 Low-light Vision
AC 20 Fortitude 17 Reflex 18 Will 19
Initiative: +2
Hit Points: 49 / 49 Bloodied: 24
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist: -
Saving Throw: +2 vs charm, illusion, sleep
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge:12 Surges per day: 10 / 10
At-Will Powers: Lightning Longsword, Vicious Mockery, War Song Strike
Encounter Powers: Burning Spray, Shout of Triumph, Inspire Competence, Impelling Force, Word of Friendship, Majestic Word 2/2
Daily Powers: Stirring Shout, Song of Discord, Extra lightning damage

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]

Vertexx69

First Post
Karananak Bole (A.K.A. Swarmwhisper), Wilden Swarm Druid/Artificer 5

Discussion In The Cell

Karananak's Bushy eyebrows raise enthusiastically as the journey is mapped out for the group. "Dem dare minin tunnas mus be like dem maze passages I an I turned true when I an I bean workin wit dem Iron Gatekeepas trute. Tuh be undertakin uh journay uh dees ere vas distance, uh retainin fee bein customary den. Amount bein base don dee exieriences each uh duh lot be bringin tuh dee mission, don it?" [sblock=Actions]Free: Speak
Minor:
Move: take a seat at the table
Standard: ...[/sblock][sblock=Swarmwhisper]Karananak Bole—Male Wilden Druid 5; Resist 5 Fire, (Resist 4 Melee/Ranged in Beast Form)
Initiative: +2, Low-Light, Passive Perception: 22, Passive Insight: 22
AC: 17, Fort: 18, Reflex: 15(17 in beast form), Will: 19 — Speed: 6
HP: 50/50, Bloodied: 25, Surge: 12, Surges left: 11/11
Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: Not Used, Milestones 0
Powers -
Savage Rend
Locust Swarm
Cold Wind

Scattered Form
Voyage of the Ancients/Wrath of the Destroyer/Pursuit of the Hunter
Battering Claws

Summon Pack Wolf
Summon Shadow Ape
Healing Infusion

Item Powers:
Summoner's Staff +2 (Daily ✦ Summons) Immediate Interrupt. Trigger - An enemy hits a creature Karananak summoned. Effect - Triggering enemy rerolls attack and must use 2nd roll.
Hunting Beasthide Armor +1 (Encounter ✦ Beast Form): Move Action. You shift 2 squares.
[sblock=Summons]Pack Wolf—Summons 1
AC: 17, Fort: 18, Reflex: 15, Will: 19 — Speed: 6
Bite +10 vs. Reflex; 1d6+7 damage, and if the wolf has combat advantage against the target, the target is knocked prone (+1d6 extra dmg).
Instinctive Effect:
If Karananak hasn't given the wolf any commands by the end of his turn, it attacks an adjacent prone creature. If it can't do that, it attacks an adjacent enemy if it can. Otherwise, it moves its speed to a square adjacent to an enemy.

Shadow Ape—Summons 5
AC: 17, Fort: 18, Reflex: 15, Will: 19 — Speed: 6, Climb 4
Slam +10 vs. Reflex; 1d8+7 damage, and all creatures have concealment from the target until the end of your next turn.
Instinctive Effect: If Karananak hasn't given the ape any commands by the end of his turn, it attacks an adjacent enemy if it can. Otherwise, it moves its speed to a square adjacent to an enemy.[/sblock]
Character Sheet
[/sblock][sblock=OOC]Intro post with description.

The retainer suggestion is just an idea on how to get us our 1/5th lvl cash to gear up before the adventure. Feel free to shoot it down with gusto as Karananak was, for all his wisdom, not graced with any sort of social tact. :D

Karananak's wishlist is on his wiki sheet, but the only parcel he has left to receive is his cash (lvl 5 being 1,000g) or 1,200g with his 1/5th lvl cash.

You'll have to forgive my attempt at a Jamaican accent, just try to sound it out phonetically or use the translation below. :cool:[sblock=Translation]"Those mining tunnels sound like the mazes I solved when I worked for the Iron Gatekeepers truly. To be undertaking a journey of such vast distance, a retainer for services is customary. The amount varies by how much experience an individual brings to the mission, doesn't it?"[/sblock][/sblock]

pacdidj

First Post
"Ah, protecting helpless civilian miners from an unknown threat. A fine use for my talents if there ever was one!," Crush answers in pleased tones, his eyes flashing briefly from blue to white. Clearly the warforged has little experience with orcs. "You say you've lost an engineer though? Do you have a description or portrait of this Kharrath to assist in our investigations?"

"And, as for the matter of payment... I don't require much in the way of coin for sustenance. My blade and axe have certainly seen better days though," Crush says, indicating his war-battered armaments sheathed at his side.

[sblock=ooc]Crush would be happy with any +2 longsword, and/or a +2 distance handaxe to upgrade his RBA.[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
"I'll take your share of the gold then my good man..er...what model are you?" Riaan jokes.

"The good tree-thing is right, we should have some guarantee of payment, maybe some deposit note from House Kundarak holding our payment in escrow?" Riaan adds, then considers their mission.

"Ok, so we'll be trudging through the swamps to save some orcs, sounds like fun" he says.

[sblock=ooc]
Oh, & for treasure I think just the level n of gold (level 7 gold - aka 2600 gold) is desirable[/sblock]

[sblock=ministats]Riaan Caldamus Male Human Warlock|Swordmage 7 Initiative: 3, Passive Perception: 16, Passive Insight: 13, Senses: Normal AC:23, Fort:20, Reflex:19, Will:19 HP:62/62, Bloodied:31, Surge Value:15, Surges left:13/13 Action Points: 1 Powers: Eldritch Strike Eyes of the Vestige Sword Burst Chains of Levistus Dimensional Vortex Infernal Moon Curse Aegis of Shielding Armor of Agathys Swordmage Shielding Fire Charm of Hearts Swordmage's Decree Cloak of Resistance +2 Cannith Goggles Githyanki Silver Longsword +2 Leather Armor of Dark Majesty +2 Potion of Healing (x2) Important Stuff: Deals +1d6 damage to cursed target on Warlock powers Gains 2thp when hitting marked enemy with arcane power

Conditions:

Full sheet: [/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases