Insight's "Isle of Dread" Conversion - OOC

drothgery

First Post
Also, I believe that there are several people with Ritual Caster already. I'd spend that feat on something to make your character more unique.

Not several, just Cassi. Nafije is a Mage, and Keharn a Sentinel, so they don't get ritual casting for free like PH1 Wizards and PH2 Druids and didn't spend a feat on it. But sorcerers generally don't make good ritual casters (since they don't have much use for Int or Wis for Sorcerer stuff, and all rituals key off of the arcana, religion, heal, or nature skills).

Also, a few notes from my skill matrix sheet
- Rhun's rogue will certainly be the best in the party at Thievery, unless he makes a very strange intentionally gimped character (start with an 8 dex before racial modifiers and wear heavy armor or something like that)
- Despite 8 most-finsihed PCs, there are only two skills where there's a tie for best in the party (both Cassi and Nafije have a +13 to History and Arcana)
- A majority of the party is trained in Diplomacy, oddly. This is the only skill that's true for.
- No PCs are trained in Streetwise, unless Rhun's rogue will be (with a 12 Cha and training, would be best in the party)

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
You're still missing the 1/2 level bonus to skills.
Ok, got that done! (I always forget the 1/2-level thing somewhere!)
Also, I know it's boring, but I'd recommend blowing up your feat choices for the dull math fixing stuff. Strongly consider:

Unarmored Agility or Leather Armor proficiency for AC (they're pretty much identical in effect, so pick whichever you want for flavor, unless there's some type of leather armor or cloth armor you think is really cool)
Versatile Expertise (Dagger/Staff) for a +1 to hit with all attacks (both weapon and implement) with all implements you know how to use or Staff Expertise (which is slightly better in most ways) for just staves (this would require switching to a staff implement)
Improved Defenses for +1 to all non-AC defenses
and Superior Implement Proficiency (accurate dagger or accurate staff) for yet another +1 to hit

And get a +1 neck slot item for your non-AC defenses, too.
The thing is this: I like all of my feat choices! They all either add significantly to Questor's Sorcerous abilities, or they're important for rp reasons (like the ritual caster feat is). I might be missing out on a +1 or a +2 here or there, but I think that making the character that I want is more important. Sorry. And THANKS for the help!

Also, Questor gets to add the +2 enhancement bonus for his magic dagger to all of his sorcerer powers' attacks and damage rolls that have the implement keyword, so that equals or exceeds the Staff feat you mention. [see page 137 of PH2 under Implements.]
Also, I believe that there are several people with Ritual Caster already. I'd spend that feat on something to make your character more unique.
Like I said, the Ritual Caster feat is very important to Questor, because that's how he's been making a living. Isn't Questor already unique enough to suit you?? :hmm: If so, you'd better look again, Bub! :p

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The bonus from the enhancemet of the dagger isn't part of the "math fix"; it is already assumed in the math. That said, many folks are perfectly happy w/o it so more power to you.

Leif

Adventurer
The bonus from the enhancemet of the dagger isn't part of the "math fix"; it is already assumed in the math. That said, many folks are perfectly happy w/o it so more power to you.
I'm not sure I follow you, SG. In fact, I'm quite sure that I DON'T. Please explain just what you mean?

Leif

Adventurer
Insight, I'm really gonna LUV this game! I've never had a chance to play a Sorcerer before, and Questor's powers are just totally kick-a$$! I LUV his at-will that does 2d10+6 psych damage + if I roll an even number for the attack it does a secondary attack for another 1d6 that has to be against a different opponent. For a little bitty dude, Questor packs a PUNCH! [I guess the drawback to that attack is that it has no effect on unintelligent opponents, which is why his other at-will inflicts 2d8+6 thunder dam.]

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
I'm not sure I follow you, SG. In fact, I'm quite sure that I DON'T. Please explain just what you mean?

The bonuses for an expertise feat and a superior implement (almost always an accurate implement; Skaros has an incindierary implement because of unique synergy between tiefling racial abilities and infernal warlocks) stack with the enhancement bonus from a magic implement.

Cassi is 6th level (+3), has a 20 Int (+5), has Staff Expertise (+1), has Superior Implement Training (Accurate Staff) (+1), and so is using a +2 Accurate Staff. That means on her Int-based implement powers (all artificer powers are int based, and almost all of her powers are implement powers), she's at +12 to hit.

Questor as presently set up is 6th level (+3), has an 18 Cha (+4), and has a +2 standard dagger. So on his Cha-based implement powers (almost all sorcerer powers save for the ones in the Shivs of Sorcerery Dragon Magazine article are implement powers, and all are cha-based), he's at +9 to hit.

Expertise or Superior Implement Training is somewhat less flavorful than Arcane Spellfury. But it gives the same +1 bonus that Arcane Spellfury grants conditionally all the time (and if the game lasts long enough, Expertise will eventually grant a +2, or even a +3 bonus).

Last edited:

stonegod

Dave has the gist of it. Essentially, the math assumes you already have a enchanted weapon; the "math fix" addresses the discrepancy between your attack value with that bonus and monster defense. The Expertise line of feats is meant to close that gap. This is the reason Living Eberron/Living ENWorld give a +1 atk bonus at certain levels.

You stated having a +2 weapon allows you to avoid that issue; I just want you to know that it does not. I am not telling you to change anything; I just want you to know (and knowing is half the battle TM).

Shayuri

First Post
Insight, I'm really gonna LUV this game! I've never had a chance to play a Sorcerer before, and Questor's powers are just totally kick-a$$! I LUV his at-will that does 2d10+6 psych damage + if I roll an even number for the attack it does a secondary attack for another 1d6 that has to be against a different opponent. For a little bitty dude, Questor packs a PUNCH! [I guess the drawback to that attack is that it has no effect on unintelligent opponents, which is why his other at-will inflicts 2d8+6 thunder dam.]

Hm. How are you doing 2 dice of damage with at-wills outside of Epic levels?

Walking Dad

First Post
Hm. How are you doing 2 dice of damage with at-wills outside of Epic levels?
I was going to ask the same.

2d10+6 -> Not sure about the 2d10, but +6 looks rather low for a chaos sorcerer. They add (at least) Cha mod (4) + Dex mod (3) + Enhancement bonus dagger (2) = 9

stonegod

I just generated Q in the CB, and noted several things:
- You still have 1000gp to spend as a 6th level character
- there is no at-will power at your level that gives 2dX (at Epic, yes).
- And, yes, his Dex bonus isn't added to any of those damage (should be +9 all told).

I'm attaching the PDF for reference.

Attachments

• Questor.pdf
    12.3 MB · Views: 76

Remove ads