Insight's "Isle of Dread" Conversion - OOC

Insight

Adventurer
3. No clue at this point really. What is the easiest class to play?

Hmm. That's an interesting question. I would normally point someone towards a Rogue or Ranger, but some Defenders can be pretty easy to play. The catch with Defenders (Fighter, Warden, Swordmage, etc) is that they tend to have interrupts and other fiddly things to worry about. Strikers (your Rogue, Ranger, Avenger, Barbarian) tend to be "fire and forget" types. Controllers (Wizard, Invoker) tend to be fairly easy to play as well.

It might be OK to wait to see what others make. As I posted earlier, it's perfectly fine with me for you guys to try to put together a cohesive group on your own.

I feel like I'm probably going to have 6-8 PCs in this game.

Insight

Adventurer
I'd be interested in getting in on this as well, if there is still room. I won't be around much this weekend so my character building will be a bit slow, however.

Don't worry too much about that. I wasn't planning on making a decision this weekend, anyway.

1. The cover seems sort of familiar. It is possible that I played through it years ago, but I don't really remember for sure. Was this the module with the rakasta in it?

Yes, that's the one.

3. Several possibilities (More ideas than opportunities to play them), mostly Martial and/or Primal. Top contenders are: Elf whirling Barbarian, Human hybrid Warlord|Fighter (tempest), Goliath (half-giant or half-ogre?)hybrid Barbarian|Warden, Eladrin TacLord

Those all sound fine to me. Just make a decision on which one you really want to play in this adventure (keeping in mind what sort of adventure it is) and let me know.

Leif

Adventurer
Oooh, Ooooh, Ooooh! I'm interested!! :) [not to even mention that you sorta OWE me a game, Insight! :p]

1. I have no experiece at all with the module. When the Expert Set came out, I was already playing the Advanced game, so I considered it beneath me. :p
2. I'm playing in 3 4E games, industrygothica's (human cleric), renau1g's (tiefling avenger), and Scotley's (human paladin), and DMing one, so I hope I have a fair amount of experience, but I'm certainly no expert. [And, I hadn't realized this until just now, but all the characters I've played so far have been divine characters, eek!] And I just remembered that I also played a 4E Dwarf Cleric in a very short-lived game that was run by ... somebody, maybe renau1g? Ahh, maybe not him after all? I can't remember. *shrug*
3. What I'd ideally like to play is a Halfling Sorcerer -- little bitty charismatic dude who thinks he's 7 feet tall / 350 pounds and acts like it, too, and who has training in the Intimidate Skill and loves to use it! :p He goes by the name "Nut," and his favorite saying is: 'Hey, I'm a tough nut to crack.' What he doesn't tell folks is that his given name is actually "Filbert."

Last edited:

tiornys

Explorer
Conversion of old adventures! Color me interested.

1) No.
2) Lots of live experience in home games and LFR, some recent PBP experience.
3) I like filling party holes, and am generally happy in any role. This game gets me on a nostalgia kick, so I'm likely to go with something iconic. If there are no real holes (or the concept fits the hole), I'll probably try updating my 2nd ed. Elf Fighter/Mage Bladesinger (probably as a Swordmage or Swordmage|Wizard).

Insight

Adventurer
3. What I'd ideally like to play is a Halfling Sorcerer -- little bitty charismatic dude who thinks he's 7 feet tall / 350 pounds and acts like it, too, and who has training in the Intimidate Skill and loves to use it! :p He goes by the name "Nut," and his favorite saying is: 'Hey, I'm a tough nut to crack.' What he doesn't tell folks is that his given name is actually "Filbert."

That sounds great, Leif.

Insight

Adventurer
3) I like filling party holes,

Careful! Eric's grandma doesn't like that sort of talk :p

and am generally happy in any role. This game gets me on a nostalgia kick, so I'm likely to go with something iconic. If there are no real holes (or the concept fits the hole), I'll probably try updating my 2nd ed. Elf Fighter/Mage Bladesinger (probably as a Swordmage or Swordmage|Wizard).

That sounds fine. I don't know how many Defenders we have so far. I think I'd like a maximum of two, but with hybrids and stuff, 2.5 would probably be OK as well.

drothgery

First Post
1. Whether or not you ever played the original module (not a deterrent if you have).

I don't think I have, but when I was playing 2e in college I didn't pay a lot of attention to what modules the DM was using, and I know he was using a lot of old Mystara stuff.

2. Your experience with 4th edition (not a BIG deterrent if you haven't)

Played a tabletop character to 11th level (unfortunately, one of the people in our group really doesn't like 4e). I've got an active LEB character (and and another waiting in the tavern) and another active 4e PBP character. Was involved in some games that flamed out early (including your Dark Sun game).

3. What Race and Class you'd be interested in playing (see character creation, below).

Human artificer, I think.

Insight

Adventurer
SEMI REQUIRED READING
This information is taken from (and somewhat modified from) what is found in the X-1 module, "The Isle of Dread" and concerns the "known world" aka Mystara. I am ONLY using the information below as backgrounds for your characters. Further information from gazetters and such may be used at a later time (but probably not).

Each character should be from one of these places.

The Principalities of Glantri: Glantri is a magocracy; that is, the princes and princesses who rule the state are all high level arcanists. The rulers are more concerned with rituals and magical research than ruling. Most decisions are left to local councils of elders and the princely stewards. The princes and princesses do not trust each other and live in a state of uneasy truce. The Principalities of Glantri are most similar to Medieval Europe. Typical Characters: Any sort of arcane class, few martial and divine, humans, half-elves, elves, and eladrin.

Ethengar Khanate: The Ethengar are nomadic herders of horses, cattle, and goats. They are divided into small family clans. Usually, the clans raid and quarrel with one another, but occasionally, a strong leader (khan) emerges to unite the entire Ethengar people into a strong "nation". The Ethengar Khanate is similar to the Mongols, Huns, and Turks of Medieval times. Typical Characters: Martial and primal classes, humans, goliaths, half-orcs.

Heldann Freeholds: The Heldann are a barbaric, fair-haired people who hunt, fish, and raise crops on isolated farms. They are similar to Medieval Iceland. Typical Characters: Martial and primal classes, humans, goliaths, perhaps some dwarves.

Kingdom of Vestland, Kingdom of Ostland, and the Soderfjord Jarls: Each of these states is composed of many petty "kingdoms" that are loosely united under one ruler. The people of these kingdoms prize individualism, physical strength, and prowess in combat. They are similar to the Vikings. Typical Characters: Martial and some primal classes, humans, a smattering of dwarves and goliaths.

Rockhome: Rockhome is the homeland of the dwarves. It stretches throughout the northern Altan Tepes Mountains. The dwarves have built and maintain a caravan road through the mountains. They charge a toll from all who pass. Typical Characters: Dwarves, anything.

Atruaghin Clans: These grassy plateau, forest, and hilly regions next to the sea are inhabited by herders, hunters, and fishermen who live in small villages. All the villagers claim to be descended from the great hero, Atruaghin. If threatened by war, they will unite under a temporary ruler. Typical Characters: Mostly primal with some divine and martial, few arcane, mostly humans, elves, half-elves, and half-orcs.

Republic of Darokin: This republic is centered around the capital, Darokin. Its wealth is based on trade from Lake Amsorak (the large inland lake), the Streel River, the eastern caravan route, and sea trade filtering in through the Malpheggi Swamp. They resemble Venice or Genoa in Medieval Italy. Typical Characters: Arcane, divine, and martial classes, humans and half-elves, few other demihumans.

Alfheim: This is the homeland of the elves and eladrin. The elven king rules the great forest of Canolbarth. Because Canolbarth is tended by the elves, it is far larger than a natural forest in this area would be. Darokin pays the elves to protect the caravan route through the forest to Selenica. Typical Characters: Elves, eladrin, half-elves, and gnomes of any classes.

Emirate of Ylaruam: Ylaruam is built in the middle of the largest oasis in the Alasiyan Desert. It is the center of caravan routes crossing from north to south and east to west and is controlled by the Emir of Ylaruam and his royal family. It is similar to the Arabic desert states or the Central Asian states of Palmyra, Damascus, or Samarkand. Typical Characters: Primal mostly, with some martial and divine, humans and a small sample of dwarves and goliaths.

The Five Shires: This is the homeland of the halflings. This area is ruled by a council of five sheriffs who each control a shire. Four times a year, the sheriffs meet at a great feast and there decide shirewide policy by vote. Typical Characters: Halflings of any classes.

Grand Duchy of Karameikos: This part of the continent is a wild and unsettled land claimed by Duke Stephan Karameikos. In reality, little of the land is under the Duke's control. Large areas are overrun with monsters and hostile humanoids. Typical Characters: Nearly anything brave enough to live there.

Kingdom of Ierendi: The trading ships of Ierendi rival those of Thyatis. The kingdom sports a magnificent royal palace carved from pure white coral. The king and queen of the land are usually popular adventurer-heroes. They are figureheads, however, holding little actual power. Certain aristocratic families hold the real power in Ierendi, making it more of an oligarchy. Typical Characters: Humans and half-elves of any classes.

Minothrad Guilds: The Minothrad island cluster is a syndicracy; the government is run by the heads of various trading guilds. Minothrad is closely allied with Thyatis. Typical Characters: Martial and primal classes, humans, half-elves, and half-orcs.

Empire of Thyatis: The empire of Thyatis is an autocracy. The emperor holds absolute power, but his decisions must allow for the desires of powerful nobles and for the threat of mob riots over unfavorable laws. The city of Thyatis is built beside a large canal that separates the southern peninsula from the mainland. Thyatis is most similar to Medieval Byzantium. Typical Characters: Martial classes, some arcane and divine, humans and a small sample of other demihumans.

[sblock=SOMEWHAT LEGIBLE MAP]
x1-known-world-24-1981.png
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases