Insight's "Isle of Dread" Conversion - OOC

renau1g

First Post
It's definitely more damaging than the dagger, but you lose the +1 to hit from your Weapon Talent so there's a trade-off. I do like reach though, so it's about a 5% reduction in to hit, for a 2.5 bump in damage (from the extra d4) + reach.

We have a lot of melee people I think so reach could be beneficial but you need to be flanking to get your SA damage and you can't get that without being adjacent.

Rhun

First Post
We have a lot of melee people I think so reach could be beneficial but you need to be flanking to get your SA damage and you can't get that without being adjacent.

Ah, see...I hadn't realized I'd need to be flanking for that. So maybe I'll stick with a dagger. :D

Insight

Adventurer
Ah, see...I hadn't realized I'd need to be flanking for that. So maybe I'll stick with a dagger. :D

Not quite!

You need COMBAT ADVANTAGE to get Sneak Attack damage. Flanking is ONE WAY to get Combat Advantage, but certainly not the ONLY way. You can get Combat Advantage in all kinds of ways. For example, prone and dazed targets grant Combat Advantage to everyone. Someone climbing grants Combat Advantage. There are various powers (even some Rogue powers) that cause enemies to grant Combat Advantage.

renau1g

First Post
There is polearm flanker feat (if the chain counts as polearm). Check Into the Wild - IronSky plays Dante, ranger with the chain.

It's a flail/light blade unfortunately.

Ah, yes sorry about that, I forgot you need CA, which flanking someone is the easiest way to get it. Nobody has dazing at-wills and there's few (if any?) prone at-wills.

Personally, I think ranger's do far better with the spiked chain vs. a rogue. Plus one of the best paragon paths in the game (Daggermaster) is only for dagger-rogues. Crits on 18-20... yes please :)

Rhun

First Post
Ah, yes sorry about that, I forgot you need CA, which flanking someone is the easiest way to get it. Nobody has dazing at-wills and there's few (if any?) prone at-wills.

My rogue does have a per-encounter dazing attack, but no at-will.

Personally, I think ranger's do far better with the spiked chain vs. a rogue. Plus one of the best paragon paths in the game (Daggermaster) is only for dagger-rogues. Crits on 18-20... yes please :)

That's kinda what I was thinking for dagger (not that we'll progress that far during the course of the game or anything).

Insight

Adventurer
That's kinda what I was thinking for dagger (not that we'll progress that far during the course of the game or anything).

Since this is just for the Isle of Dread, I don't imagine that your characters will gain more than 3 or 4 levels during the adventure. There's some extra stuff that we could do if people are having fun and things are still sailing along.

Rhun

First Post
Dagger is still good, the most accurate but least damaging weapon choice until you enter daggermaster.

I think I will stick with it. It seems like a versatile choice, and if I play my cards right most of my damage will come from sneak attacking and such anyway.

I'll likely get my PC all finished up tomorrow evening.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases