Insight's "Isle of Dread" Conversion - OOC

Leif

Adventurer
Nut, Halfling Sorcerer

I'm thinking that Nut was born and spent his early life in the low rolling hills of the Five Shires, but got bored there eventually, and bounced on over to Specularum where he thought he could find some real action. ;)

"Grand Duchy of Karameikos" and "Specularum" are place names that do ring major bells in my head. I don't think I actually played any games there, but I've seen and possibly own the Grand Duchy product and I probably at least had a campaign planned in my head to be set there.

Vertexx69

First Post
I'm thinking Angel hails from the Empire of Thyatis, and is a problem solver or mid-level functionary in the empreror's court. Her angelic features lead her to style herself as a divine messenger to throw off the suspicions of the people she happens to be moving amongst. [sblock=Description]Her elegant, silken white robe accents her opalescently pale skin and pale blue eyes. The shining gold hilt of the massive full blade strapped diagonally across her back and golden bladed bracers and greaves she wears bring out the yellow highlights in her long, strait platinum-blonde hair that pours like a waterfall down over the wide blade that is almost the same height as its wielder. A set of diaphanous wings that can be manually opened, are usually closed at her back, experty attached to any outfit she happen to be wearing.[sblock=Background] While retrieving a forgotten key doesn't sound like a job worthy of any band
of intrepid adventurers, things are never as easy as they sound in the honeyed
songs. In a bard's tale sung longingly by the quavering firelight of a warm
tavern hearth. But this was no ordinary key...

The Emperor heard tell of an ancient kingdom far to the north, lost to the mists
of wars that had been perpetually raging for the last several centuries. At the
center of this kingdom sat the Palace of the Golden Lion. A sprawling castle cut
from the living rock in the side of the very mountains on which it was built.
The castle had been abandoned when massive earthquakes hit the valley of the lion,
sending it's denizens screaming from the land. And in their haste they had left
behind a magnificent device that his grace wanted at all costs.

So the Emperor sent for the greatest group of adventurers still living that he
had heard of - The Gambit of the Coin. A ragtag group of heroes and anti-heroes
that held each other in check with a balance light and dark forces. They were allowed
entrance to the citadel of Thyatis and ushered into a deep vault that few had
ever been privy to view. Each was definitely a unique individual, but they moved
as a single unit that had crossed many a field of battle in their time.

At the center of the gambit strode the towering Grant, a Goliath paladin wrapped in
shining plate armor and carrying a veritable wall of a silver shield on his left arm.
Ever at his right hand was his companion Roger, a jolly round human cleric of the sun
who liked his drink and loved to laugh. To the left of the paladin walked an equally
impressive dark warlord the by name of Relion who looked like he could whip any
company into a murderous frenzy.

Bracketed by the pair of towering warriors was the swarthy enchantress Mahbooba (JustKim),
who could charm a starving man right out of his last crumb of bread while he smiled
all the while. And on each edge of the group, like the two faces of the coin for
which they were named, stalked the sisters Angel (Me) and Demona (StoneGod).
As far from each other as they could get while still travelling together. Demona's
raging warlock fire was barely contained beneath her wild red hair and shadowy leather armor.
Angel on the other hand was the model of an avenger's pristine order wrapped
around deadly intent.

A line of emperial guards stood between the group and a colossal object draped in
a royal purple cloth. The chamber has a shaft that rises all the way out the top
of the citadel, to a tiny circle of sky several hundred feet over their heads.
The emperor's regent enters and orders the tarp pulled aside, revealing a single
flawless crystal over 30ft tall with a circular pattern carved into its base.

After being shown the dimensions of the key and being told that it looked like a
shield, and told approximately where the valley was reputed to be, the gambit is
given a treasury writ for a large sack of platinum and sent on their merry way to
adventure. They travel beyond the boundaries of the empire and the northern deserts,
to find the mountain range and finally the valley itself.

The palace itself was in complete ruin and half collapsed from the savage quakes
that transformed this masterful piece of art into crumbled hints of walls that had
long since been taken over by dryder bandits and their monstrous hordes of spiderlings.
The upper spires had been turned into nesting poles by an entire flock of wyverns,
and the deep reccesses of the ancient kingdom were still shaken by the very earth
itself from time to time. The walls spiderwebbed with cracks, in testament to how
close this place was to claiming whatever secrets it still held forever.

An invading army had claimed the stone as a trophy not long after the palace had
been abandoned, but the key to unlocking the power of the crystal had never been found.
Rending a path through the army of spiders and their much more frightening masters,
the Gambit of the Coin scoured the palace, causing more than one cave-in along the way
before having to face the devastating power of the driders themselves.

Grant, Roger and Relion were all killed in the final battle, but the ladies of the coin
managed to find the shield and escape with their lives...barely. Harried by wyverns
they fled the valley and presented the shield to the emperor himself. Accepting
positions in his guard, they have been problem solvers for the emperor of Thyatis
ever since.[/sblock][sblock=Angel, the Avenger]Angel
Deva (Skinned as human) Retribution Avenger
Level 6
HP: 54 (bloodied 27)

STR 13 (+1)
CON 10 (+0)
DEX 08 (-1)
INT 18 (+4)
WIS 20 (+5)
CHA 10 (+0)
[sblock=Def Calc]]AC equation: 26 + stat (4) + armor (0) + enhancement (2) + feat (4) + race/class 3(4) + 1/2 (3)
Fort equation: 15 + stat (1) + armor (0) + enhancement (0) + feat (0) + race/class 1(2) + 1/2 (3)
Ref equation: 18 + stat (4) + armor (0) + enhancement (1) + feat (0) + race/class 1(2) + 1/2 (3)
Will equation: 19 + stat (5) + armor (0) + enhancement (0) + feat (0) + race/class 1(2) + 1/2 (3)[/sblock]
AC: 26(27)
Fort: 15(16)
Ref: 19(20)
Will: 19(20)

TRAINED SKILLS
Heal +13, Perception +15, Religion +14, Stealth +7
UNTRAINED SKILLS
History +9

Initiative: +2

Healing surges: 7 (value: 13)

Feats
1. Unarmored Agility
2. Weapon Proficiency (Guantlet Axe)
3. Weapon Profieiency (Full Blade)
4. Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade/Holy Symbol)

Attack equation: 1/2 (3) + stat (5) + enhancement (2) + feat (0) + misc. (3)
Attack bonus: 13

Damage equation: stat (5) + enh (2) + feat (0)
Damage bonus: damage die + 7

ABILITIES
Armor of Faith - AC +3
Astral Majesty - Angel gets a +1 to all defenses vs attacks made by bloodied creatures.
Astral Resistance - Resistance 8 necrotic/radiant dmg.
Censure of Retribution - Gain +4 dmg vs OoE target for each other enemy that hits Angel TENT.
Channel Divinity - 1/encounter.
- Abjure Undead
- Divine Guidance - Give ally within 10sq 2 attack rolls vs Angels OoE target.
Immortal Origin - Considered an immortal creature.
Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes - add 1d6 to an attack/save/skill/ability check.
Oath of Enmity - Gain ability to roll 2 melee attacks, using either result against 1 target within 10sq.
- Lasts until end of encounter or until enemy dies, then OoE becomes available for use again.

At-Will
Bond of Retribution: +14 vs AC, 1d12+8 and deal 7 radiant dmg to the 1st other enemy that attacks Angel BENT.
Radiant Vengeance: Ranged 10 +10 vs Ref, 1d8+6 radiant and Angel Gains 5 THP.

Encounter
R Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes: +1d6 to an attack/save/skill/ability check as minor action.
C Abjure Undead: +10 vs Will, 4d10+6 Radiant dmg to one undead within 5sq + pull it 6sq & Immobilize TENT.
1 Avenging Echo: +14 vs AC, 1d12+8 and TENT, any enemy that attacks or ends its turn adjacent to Angel takes 12 radiant dmg.
3 Halo of Fire: +14 vs AC, 2d12+7 and TENT, any enemy that ends its turn adjacent to Angel takes 11 fire dmg.

Daily
1 Temple of Light: +14 vs AC, 2d12+8 and burst2 zone TEE that moves with the target. Angel deals +1d6 to any enemy in zone.
2 Silver Shadow: Gain 11THP and concealment that lasts until Angel has 0THP.
5 Nine Souls of Wrath: +14 vs AC, 2d12+7 Miss=1/2 dmg. TEE any enemy that end its turn adjacent to Angel gains vulnerable 5 to all dmg TENT.
6 Wrath of the Divine: When critted, Angel deals equal dmg to OoE target within 10sq.

Background: +2 Perception

Equipment
+2 Bloodclaw Fullblade (Lvl7)
+2 Magic Cloth Armor (Lvl6)
+1 Gauntlet Axe of Rythm (Lvl3)
Shard of Radiance (lvl3)
+1 Magic Holy Symbol (Lvl1)
280g[/sblock][/sblock] Maybe she has a sister in the same line of work, but who has tailored her look toward the other end of the divine spectrum with a tiara sporting horns and a tail sewn to her belt? (what do you think SG?)

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
3. What Race and Class you'd be interested in playing (see character creation, below).

Human artificer, I think.

I don't normally like Artificers, but you played in my Dark Sun game AND you're from San Diego (my home town), so I kinda have to allow it!

renau1g

First Post
And I just remembered that I also played a 4E Dwarf Cleric in a very short-lived game that was run by ... somebody, maybe renau1g? Ahh, maybe not him after all? I can't remember. *shrug*

The game wasn't short lived, just your dwarf's time in it. ;) It started in August 2009, my longest foray as DM here, we've gone from 4th to (at least) 10th (in Velmont's case).

Mowgli's actually still playing in it, his PC took your spot. They're just confronting the leader of the cult of Khyber, the group that attacked the village you were in. There's only 1 of the 5 initial members who played all the way through (Vemont's PC), but Mowgli joined in Nov. that year.

Can't believe it's been about 20 months or so.

drothgery

First Post
I don't normally like Artificers, but you played in my Dark Sun game AND you're from San Diego (my home town), so I kinda have to allow it!
Cool. Though I've never actually played an artificer in 4e, so why don't you like them (as a DM; as a player, it's somewhat difficult to set one up that avoids juggling an implement and a weapon, though I think I'd be building a staff-user who mostly focues on conjurations and summons)?

My line of thought was pretty was
- I like arcane characters
- swordmages, sorcerers, and wizards had already been proposed
- despite my Dark Sun character, I'm not really a big fan of warlocks
- the proposed characters seemed short on leaders
- I don't have the temperment to run a bard well

Not sure whether it would make more sense to build him as from Glantri (say, a third or fourth son of a lesser mage lord) or from Darokin (in the employee of a major merchant House).

Insight

Adventurer
This post lists what race/class combos players have proposed thus far. Four Three Two One player has not made a definite decision. I would recommend doing so by Thursday or Friday of next week (March 31st / April 1st).

EDIT: At this point, we have 11 prospective players. I'd like to take on one more prospect at the most, giving me an even dozen to choose from. I may cut off idea submissions on Monday, though.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Cool. Though I've never actually played an artificer in 4e, so why don't you like them (as a DM; as a player, it's somewhat difficult to set one up that avoids juggling an implement and a weapon, though I think I'd be building a staff-user who mostly focues on conjurations and summons)?

I don't really like using setting-specific races or classes outside their setting. But in this case, I'm going to allow it. I would NOT, for the record, allow Warforged, Genasi, Muls, Thri-Kreens, etc. I can see allowing classes to a certain extent, but I draw the line on setting-specific races.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Pencil me in for melee/striker- either an elf whirling barbarian or goliath barbarian/warden (less a defender hybrid, more a striker that happens to mark). I'll get more detailed after this weekend is over... Normally my go-to character ideas for the outdoors style would be elf archer ranger or predator druid, but I'm already playing both fairly successfully.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases