Insight's "Isle of Dread" Conversion - OOC

Insight

Adventurer
Pencil me in for melee/striker- either an elf whirling barbarian or goliath barbarian/warden (less a defender hybrid, more a striker that happens to mark). I'll get more detailed after this weekend is over... Normally my go-to character ideas for the outdoors style would be elf archer ranger or predator druid, but I'm already playing both fairly successfully.

OK that sounds great!

drothgery

First Post
I don't really like using setting-specific races or classes outside their setting. But in this case, I'm going to allow it. I would NOT, for the record, allow Warforged, Genasi, Muls, Thri-Kreens, etc. I can see allowing classes to a certain extent, but I draw the line on setting-specific races.

I guess I really don't think of the classes in 4e settting books (Swordmage in the FRPG, Artificer in the EPG, and probably the new Bladesinger coming in Neverwinter) as setting-specific. And even races get a bit funky.

Frex, Shifters were orginally printed in 3.5 ECS; they showed up in the 4e PH2. Eberron race or generic race?

I don't know where drow debuted in 1e, but it certainly wasn't FR (even if the most famous drow in D&D fiction is from FR). Nonetheless, they appeared in print in 4e in the FRPG. Forgotten Realms race or generic race?

Insight

Adventurer
I guess I really don't think of the classes in 4e settting books (Swordmage in the FRPG, Artificer in the EPG, and probably the new Bladesinger coming in Neverwinter) as setting-specific. And even races get a bit funky.

Frex, Shifters were orginally printed in 3.5 ECS; they showed up in the 4e PH2. Eberron race or generic race?

I don't know where drow debuted in 1e, but it certainly wasn't FR (even if the most famous drow in D&D fiction is from FR). Nonetheless, they appeared in print in 4e in the FRPG. Forgotten Realms race or generic race?

For the record, neither would be allowed in this game as they are too "monstery" for my theme. I would say Drow are "generic" as they have appeared in more than one setting. For me, Shifters are "lycanthrope-lite", so I don't have a specific setting in mind for them.

Rhun

First Post

Drow first appeared in the adventure module Against the Giants, if I'm not mistaken...and then later in the 1E Fiend Folio. With that said, they were first mentioned in the 1E Monster Manual under the Elf heading.

Shayuri

First Post
Okay...we have a need for a Defender or Controller...

I don't think we need another striker. Since psionics are out, can't do a battlemind or psion...

We have a wizard...and either a swordmage or a swordmage/wizard hybrid...

We have a druid, but it's a Leader druid...

Hmmm...

Let me think on this.

Perhaps a Hunter! That's ranger-like, well suited to elves, and is apparently a Controller...

Vertexx69

First Post
I just realized I never answered your opening questions. How dare I be so remiss? :p

1) I have never even heard of the original module.

2) I have quite a bit of 4ED experience at this point. I'm currently playing a mounted Martial defender (4-7), a primal controller (4-5), and a pure arcane controller (4). I have also played a mob control striker (3-6) in an arena game.

3) I have made my decision to go for Angel, the Deva Avenger of Retribution (reskinned to look more human if need be). I built her last night (using standard 22 point buy) just to see what I could do with the deva avenger combo, and wow she came out tough.

Leif

Adventurer
I don't know where drow debuted in 1e, but it certainly wasn't FR
Drow first appeared in the adventure module Against the Giants, if I'm not mistaken...and then later in the 1E Fiend Folio. With that said, they were first mentioned in the 1E Monster Manual under the Elf heading.
Rhun is correct, except that when the modules were first released, the one where drow were first mentioned was known as "Hall of the Fire Giant King" and they appeared in full force in "Descent Into the Depths of the Earth."

I built her last night (using standard 22 point buy) just to see what I could do with the deva avenger combo, and wow she came out tough.
Speaking of which, is 22 point-buy the correct method of character creation for all of us? And was starting level mentioned already? Any other tweaks pertaining to character creation, such as determining hp, etc?

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Speaking of which, is 22 point-buy the correct method of character creation for all of us? And was starting level mentioned already? Any other tweaks pertaining to character creation, such as determining hp, etc?

The very first post states 6th level for characters. I'll be using the standard point buy for ability scores and the standard "wealth for higher level characters" rules. Everything else should be fairly automatic. I guess I should make mention of feats and class options. Use the latest version of whatever feats you're interested in. Make sure to check Essentials for the newer versions of expertise feats and some defensive feats, where applicable. I am allowing "general" background options, as long as they fit into the "known world" setting and are at least somewhat heroic in nature (no "hired killers", please).

No full characters posted until I have announced the roster.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases