Airwalkrr's Maure Castle 3.5 OOC

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Took a look at your character, [MENTION=29098]Rhun[/MENTION]. Everything seems to be in order, except for vigorous circle. That spell is from Spell Compendium and so is not allowed. Feel free to use any spells from the Player's Handbook II however.

Also examined your character, [MENTION=42885]s@squ@tch[/MENTION]. Everything seems good. The pseudodragon familiar is fine in case you had a question about that (you had marked it with a ?).

Rhun

First Post
Took a look at your character, [MENTION=29098]Rhun[/MENTION]. Everything seems to be in order, except for vigorous circle. That spell is from Spell Compendium and so is not allowed. Feel free to use any spells from the Player's Handbook II however.

My bad...I'll get that fixed. :)

Rathan

First Post
Ok.... my character history has been edited to fit the relic and it's description as well as my tie to Rhuns character as well!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
[MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION], I am still technically recruiting. <snip>
So if you want to build a fighting type character, that would be welcome. Archer type wouldn't be bad, but a melee type would be better.

Melee it is then. Thanks, Airwalkrr.

I'll post a few ideas right now, and try to pull together a full sheet. Any thoughts appreciated, from anyone.

I'm thinking Ranger 3/Pal 3/HW 6, building from Dex and Charisma. Skills would include Combat Expertise and Weapon Finesse (and Improved Trip? and Combat Reflexes?). No spells, but lots of little bonuses. The idea is one I started to play at a much lower level 5 or 6 years ago, on a game that never went anywhere. It still seems like fun!

Skills would include maxed Survival, Spot, and Listen. Good scores in Hide, Diplomacy, and Move Silently are also possible, though perhaps MS won't be needed. At least 5 points in Kn (Geography, Dungeoneering, and Nature) --- 8 in Geog, obviously)

I think that will offer a fair bit of out-of-combat versatility, while still able to survive combat. (I was originally thinking archer, but if twf is there, then rapier-and-dagger? rapier-and-whip?)

Flavor text (repurposed from before):

[sblock="Initial background"]
Courage Bloodstone thought she had her life sorted out. Raised in the woods, her training had gone impressively. She was one of the one of the best trackers her master had trained, by virtue of her determination more than anything else; and she kept a steady blade. Courage had focus, and people liked her, and that's why they were all so sad the first time she died.

It was a goblin arrow and she hadn't seen it coming, but there it was in her chest, with her blood pouring out all around it, so there could be no doubt. As she fell on the stone floor, she thought that was pretty much it.

But people liked Courage, and when she found herself alive she realized that things would be expected of her now. She had been healed,because her friends had wanted her to keep adventuring with them, but Courage decided she had been saved for a Purpose. She left that group, gave herself a new surname, and began to train as a paladin. This was not an easy switch for Courage, but her mind was decided. She was older than the others, but that made her better. And she was serving her god.

For two years, Courage traveled as a paladin. She usually worked alone, and she tracked miscreants and lawbreakers and brought them to justice, regardless of their faith or their convictions. But the land has its own stern code, and Courage found that she was not able to fulfill what she felt were her obligations to her god as an instrument of his justice. Temptations are great, and as Courage faced temptation, she knew that her constancy would eventually compromise both herself and her god. And so she left the order honorably, and returned to her old ways living off the land.

People like Courage, and she still serves her god, though now in a way that lets her serve the land as well, and lets her decide for herself where best she can help.

Level progression: Ranger 1-2, Paladin 1-3, Ranger 3, HW 1-6. [/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
Skills would include maxed Survival, Spot, and Listen. Good scores in Hide, Diplomacy, and Move Silently are also possible, though perhaps MS won't be needed. At least 5 points in Kn (Geography, Dungeoneering, and Nature) --- 8 in Geog, obviously)

My cleric has Maxed Diplomacy, so you may want to invest those skill points in something else, unless you really want a face-type character? Just a thought to make sure we have a versatile group. Though I suppose you can never go wrong with helpful "Aid Another" checks. :)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
My cleric has Maxed Diplomacy, so you may want to invest those skill points in something else, unless you really want a face-type character? Just a thought to make sure we have a versatile group. Though I suppose you can never go wrong with helpful "Aid Another" checks. :)

Thanks, Rhun, should have seen that. It was an idea to go with a starting 14 Charisma, which I want to make the Paladin levels credible.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
[MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION], this is just my opinion but ranger/paladin doesn't seem like it has a lot of synergy; every ability score except for Int (and to a lesser extent Wis) is important to your character in one way or another so you'll really have to spread your points (unless you choose to roll). It might be an interesting option though. So I may consider allowing you to take feats like Extra Smiting and Improved Favored Enemy just to keep your some of your character's abilities relevant.

Regarding favored enemy, I suggest gnolls, outsiders (evil or chaotic), constructs, or humans. Any other choices probably wouldn't be very useful.

Some other observations: if you are planning on a Dex-based built, Improved Trip is going to fail most of the time since it is based on Str. It might be worthwhile to go Str-based and make Dex more of a secondary score. It would make it harder to qualify for higher-level TWF feats, but Dex-based builds that lack ways to add extra damage can be underpowered. They generally only work well for rogues or other types that get bonus damage from a source other than Str.

For all players, I will use a variant that condenses Knowledge skills a bit.
-Knowledge (arcana) includes Knowledge (the planes) relating to elementals, elemental planes, the astral plane, ethereal plane, and plane of shadow
-Knowledge (dungeoneering) includes Knowledge (architecture and engineering)
-Knowledge (local) includes Knowledge (history) and Knowledge (nobility and royalty)
-Knowledge (nature) includes Knowledge (geography)
-Knowledge (religion) includes Knowledge (the planes) relating to outsiders and the outer planes

So to boil it down, there are only four Knowledge skills, arcana, dungeoneering, local, nature, and religion. If a subskill shows up your class list, you can also assume your character has the primary skill as a class skill as well. E.g. clerics get Knowledge (local) since they have Knowledge (history).

I will post this to the OP.

Rathan

First Post
So what you're saying is if I have Knowledge Local and Knowledge History I'm wasting points as they are rolled into one now?

Rathan

First Post
Also... On this note people.. I've got all of the Knowledge's above +10 or more. I'm not saying your character shouldn't have a Knowledge, but if we're all together most of the time you don't need to waste your skill points on them!

s@squ@tch

First Post
My wizard is lacking the equipment at this time, but spells and most other things, non-equipment related are done.

Knowledge skills are maxed, along with spellcraft.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases