Airwalkrr's Maure Castle 3.5 OOC

Zerith

First Post
He has a reach weapon though, he just can't use his shield with it:p
[I might make it animated though, his AC is already topnotch, at lest I hop it is...]
Also, his AoO's don't get hurt from CE, and that he can't actively hit things well at all on his 2th and 3th attack while using CE; oh well. I've actually maintained and enhanced his movement so he can move about freely; it means it's easier to move him about the battle field because he gains little by using a full attack: 40' move and attack; I think he can just tank AoOs so he dos not need to bother with a 5' steep with most creeps I should think

Also, DPR is not his goal, he is a road block; the multi AoO is so that whenever he tacks hold of a choke point he holds it, most hallways aren't going to be more then 15' wide, and if you start in his threat area any area he threatens is difficult terrain if he dos not like you. that is unless most hallways are made to accept two normal dragons walking abreast or a great wyvern.... but that is just getting silly. so, giving him a lot of AoOs is not about getting in damage, its about making sure he can stop anything from running by him even if they move in with numbers with stand still: other wise after just one activates his AoO a swarm of Goblins, or the like, can just walk by willy nilly. he is still limited to 4 AoS as is, but it's a hell of a lot better than just 1.
Further we will generally be fighting in confined spaces: even if he can only block half of a room; that means the mobs are either bunching up to get AoEed to death, or they are coming in single file to get killed one after another if they avoid him while going towards the mage :D

As for dropping CE and keeping Active shield defense: if I'm going to be trading to hit chance for armor I think getting two more AC out of it is a good use of a feat: I'm already using a feat that adds just 1AC to shield armor, if I'm going to use a feat that give just one AC I'd be daft not to use one that basically gives me 2AC as well: it also lets me choose how much to toss into the AC: maybe I just need a 1 more AC to make them miss on any thing but a 20; why lower CTH by 4 when I only need to do it by 1? I don't have to max it out every turn. So it's either giving me more AC or more chance to hit while using full Def, even both if I only do move 3 hit chance about :3
__

Endurance is needed for Steadfast Determination and (even with out no auto-fail fort checks) this skill is worth 2 and a half feats in and of itself to him: is WIS modifier is a 0; his CON is +5. Who needs the +2 from iron will when they can get a +5, or higher, and never have to buff their WIS ever?
Also, his armor his Mitheral; this means endurance lets him sleep in it. one of the ideas I'm using for him is; he is the watchman, he needs to sleep only 2 hours a day for a full nights rest, and dose not need to wast time taking off or pouting on his armor, nor eating; and given that plate needs someone to help him done the blasted stuff, that is all very handy :3

also, he had only a few other options for bonus feats, aside from Great Fortitude and Endurance the only two I'm interested in are quick-draw(drop lance, equip shield, draw sword, and then attack) or Weapon Focus Lance: I'll drop active shield Def and CE and then get short haft, and something to give the lance a bit more punch/punch (as well as making the shield animated to use it with the lance, I would also drop most of his other gear save the greatsword and likely pick up a bigger hammer to maintain his ability to change damage type as needed)

the other feats are mount related; and while he could grab Iron will, a 13 Will save is good enough I think :3
__

BTW; you can see his WIP in the bottom of my above post, I think you missed at edit :3

Also, is there some kind of magical hovering saddle that lets he be 'riding' while not placing him on a horse or other large animal? I still want to use the lance one handed while in a space too confined for a horse to navigate :/
(don't care if he is flying about on it, I just want a small or tinnier sized mount a human can rid about normally so he can use the lance one handed and still ride it comfortably were normal sized characters are the max size without penalties >_<)

Last edited:

Rathan

First Post
Zerith,

what we're trying to tell you is sometimes a good offense is a good defense, especially in a dungeon. I'm going to need a heavy hitting flanking partner as I will be slamming some serious damage with a 6d6 sneak attack. I need my flanking partner to hit hard so the monster doesn't turn to me and paste me because I've agrro'ed the crap out of him damage wise. lol... we're just trying to help the party dynamics here LOL

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Zerith, you've built a pretty good defensive character, but unfortunately it seems like you've put all your eggs in one basket. Your character seems to be able to do only one thing well, and that's take a beating. Unless the monsters are under the effect of your test of mettle, they are going to be pretty free to ignore you most of the time and go after your allies who are actually dealing damage. I'm not saying you can't play a knight, but I would strongly consider rebuilding with more damage-dealing potential in mind. You didn't even purchase a magic weapon. I know you are probably expecting the cleric or wizard to cast greater magic weapon, but that strategy isn't fool-proof. Spellcasting monsters know how to use targeted dispel magic.

Also, I will let you swap out Mounted Combat for one of the feats on the knight's bonus feat list. There won't be a lot of opportunities for using a mount in this campaign.

I also noticed you are bristling with weapons. I can think you have two means of storing these. The first would me your mount, which you generally won't be bringing into the dungeon. The second would be Heward's handy haversack. I generally only allow light weapons to be stored in Heward's handy haversack because of volume limitations; IMHO the item was designed to hold various tools, but not weapons. As for weapon storage, you can store two one-handed or light weapons (along your belt) plus one two-handed weapon (strapped to your back) on your person. Anything more requires extra hands to hold. Thus if you wanted to have a longbow and a greatsword, you'd need to be carrying one or the other at all times since both require two hands. Daggers and similarly small items might be exceptions. A dagger could be placed in a boot strap, or several along a bandoleer. You can also store weapons inside a bag of holding, assuming they are sheathed or padded to prevent the bag from being pierced.

edit: Re: weapon focus. This feat works on an entire weapon group, not just one weapon.

Zerith

First Post
alright then; I'll change him over to a lancer and make make his magical; I think I'll loose 3 AC(2 from making the shield animated and then one more from lowering the enchantment again to avoid a magic weapon) but I think he should be able to deal ok damage once I finish :3

Addon: Well, I droped MC, CE and ASD for Short Haft, WF: Spears and Lances and WS: Spears and Lances and tewaked and lowered his sheild so he can use it with the lace and afford to make it a +2
[FONT=&quot][sblock=+2 Darkwood lance]Piercing Damage: 1d10 +6 [+2(STR) +2(Weapon Spec) +2 (Enchantment)]
Hit: 17 [12 (BAB), + 2 (Enchantment), + 2 (STR) +1 (Weapon Focus)]
Softened Critical: 20 X2
[Two handed reach weapon][/sblock][/FONT]
Think he will be able to antagonize the creeps enough in combat to make the creeps attack him with that or do I need to take an other 2 AC hit to bump his to hit and damage by an other 1?
[FONT=&quot][sblock=Javelin]Piercing: 1d6 +4 [+2(STR) +2(Weapon Spec)]
[Melee]Hit: 11 [12 (BAB), + 2 (STR) +1 (Weapon Focus) -4(Misc)]
[Ranged]Hit: 16 [12 (BAB), + 3 (DEX) +1 (Weapon Focus)]
Range Increment: 30 ft
Softened Critical: - [20 X1]
[Light one handed thrown weapon][/sblock]
Had the group Focus/Spec, so I had to pick up two :3
[/FONT] [sblock=knight WIP][sblock=basic]Race:
[sblock= Human] Size - Meduim
Speed - 30'
1 extra feat at first LvL
+4 skill points at first LvL, +1 skill point every LvL after first
Bonus Languages: Any
Favored Class: Any[/sblock]
Class:
[sblock=Knight]Knight’s Challenge(7)
-Fighting Challenge
-Test of Mettle
-Call to battle
-Daunting Challenge

Shield Block: +2
Bulwark of Defense
Armor Mastery
Bonus Feats (Mounted Combat, Great Fortitude, Endurance)
Vigilant Defender
Shield Ally[/sblock]
Experience: 66,000
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Languages: Common, Dwarven[/sblock]

[sblock=stats]STR: 14 +2 [13 roll, +1 level4]
DEX: 16 +3 [14 roll +2 Items]
CON: 20 +5 [17 roll, +1 level8, +2 items]
INT: 12 +1 [12 roll]
WIS: 10 +0 [10 roll]
CHA: 12 +1 [11 roll, +1 level12][/sblock]

[sblock=combat stats]
Code:
HP: = 138 [(12+{6X11}) + (5X12) =138]
[12d12] +5 (CON) + 0 (Misc) 

AC:                     33= 10 + 12 (armor) + 5 (shield) + 3 (DEX) + 3 (Misc)
  AC Touch:         15 = 10 + 3 (DEX) + 2 (Misc)
  AC Flatfooted: 30 = 10 + 12 (armor) + 8 (shield) + 3 (Misc)
  INIT: +3 = +3 (DEX)
  BAB: +12 = +12 (Knight)
  Fort: +11 = +4 (base) + 5 (CON) + 2 (feat)
  Reflex: +7 = +4 (base) + 3 (DEX)
  Will: +13 = +8 (base) + 5 (CON)
  Speed: 40' = 30’ (base) + 10’ (item)
  Damage Reduction: none
  Spell Resistance: none
[/sblock]

[sblock=feats]Light, medium and heavy armor proficiency
Shield Proficiency

Weapon groups: Basic, Spears and Lances, Heavy Blades, and Picks and Hammers.

Combat Reflexes
Stand Still
Weapon Specialization: Spears and Lances

Heavy Shield Specialization
[adds +1 to the AC of heavy shields]
Short Haft
[May choose to lose the benefit of a reach weapon to threaten and attack adjacent spaces with a swift action; and remove the affect with another Swift action]
Steadfast determination
[can use CON modifier on Will saves. Dos not automatically fail Fortitude saves on a natural 1]
(B)Weapon Focus: Spears and Lances
(B)Great Fortitude
(B)Endurance
[/sblock]

[sblock=equpement]
Code:
                                                             Cost       Weight
  Traveler’s outfit                                     1gp            5lb
+2 Animated Heavy Mitheral Shield          17020 gp  7.5 lb
+4 Mitheral full plate                               26500 gp  25 lb
Boots of striding and springing                 5500 gp   1lb
Gloves of Dexterity +2                             4000 gp
Amulet of health +2                                4000 gp
Ring of Protection +2                               8000 gp
Ring of Sustenance                                  2500 gp
Dusty rose loun stone                              5000 gp
+2 Darkwood Lance                                 8410 gp   5lb
Greatsword                                             50 gp        8lb   
Javelins(2)                                             2 gp          4lb   
Dagger                                                   2 gp          1lb   
Flint and steel 1gp
Handy Haversack                                    2000 gp    5lb
[right pack 6/20 lb]
-Everburning Torch                                  110 gp       1lb
-Sun rods(5)                                           10 gp        6 lb
[Central pack77/80 lb]
-10’ Ladder                                              5cp            20lb
-10’ poles(3)                                            6sp            26lb
-200’ Silk rope                                          40gp          20lb
-Grappling hooks(2)                                  2gp            8lb
-Crowbar                                                  2gp            5lb
[Left pack 14/20 lb]
-Winter blanket                                        5sp            3lb
-Bedroll                                                   1sp            5lb
-Soap                                                      5sp            1lb
-Traveler’s outfit                                      1gp            5lb

Light Warhorse                                        150gp
-bit and bridle                                         2gp            1lb
-Military saddle                                       20gp          30lb
-Cart                                                      15gp          200lb
--feed(20 days)                                      1gp            200lb                 
1673gp 7sp 5cp
[/sblock]

[sblock=weapon stats][sblock=+4 Mitheral Gauntlets]Bludgeoning Damage: 1d3 +2(STR)
Hit: 14 [12 (BAB), + 2 (STR)]
[Unarmed attack][/sblock]
[sblock=+2 Animated heavy Mitheral shield]Bludgeoning Damage: 1d4 +1(STR/2)
[One handed weapon (Off hand)][/sblock]
[sblock=+2 Darkwood lance]Piercing Damage: 1d10 +6 [+2(STR) +2(Weapon Spec) +2 (Enchantment)]
Hit: 17 [12 (BAB), + 2 (Enchantment), + 2 (STR) +1 (Weapon Focus)]
[Two handed reach weapon][/sblock]
[sblock=Greatsword] Slashing Damage: 2d6 +2(STR)
[Two handed weapon][/sblock]
[sblock=Javelin]Piercing: 1d6 +4 [+2(STR) +2(Weapon Spec)]
[Melee]Hit: 11 [12 (BAB), + 2 (STR) +1 (Weapon Focus) -4(Misc)]
[Ranged]Hit: 16 [12 (BAB), + 3 (DEX) +1 (Weapon Focus)]
Range Increment: 30 ft
[sblock=Dagger]Piercing or Slashing Damage: 1d4 +2(STR)
[Melee]Hit: 14 [12 (BAB), + 2 (STR)]
[Ranged]Hit: 15 [12 (BAB), + 3 (DEX)]
Range Increment: 10 ft
[/sblock]

[sblock=skills]Human[L1-12] 15 SP
Knight[L1-12] 60 SP
INT +1 [L1-12] 15 SP
Code:
Total   Skill                          Ability  Rank Misc Misc  ACP  Stat
  +1   =   Appraise                     +1      +4     +0      +0      --    INT
  -1    =   Balance                       +3      +0     +0      +0     -4    DEX      
  +1    =   Bluff                            +1      +0     +0      +0     --    CHA
  +9    =   Climb                          +2      +11   +0      +0     -4    STR
  +5    =   Concentration           +5      +0     +0     +0      --    CON
  +1    =   Craft:                          +1       +0     +0     +0      --    INT
  +3    =   Diplomacy                 +1       +0     +2     +0     --    CHA
  +1    =   Disguise                      +1      +0     +0     +0     --    CHA
  -1     =   Escape Artist              +3      +0     +0     +0    -4    DEX
  +1    =   Forgery                       +1      +0     +0     +0     --    INT
  +1    =   Gather Information  +1      +0     +0     +0     --    CHA
  +11 =   Handle Animal           +1      +10   +0     +0     --    CHA
  +0   =   Heal                              +0      +0     +0     +0     --    WIS
  -1    =   Hide                              +3      +0     +0     +0     -4    DEX
  +16 =   Intimidate                    +1     +15   +0     +0     --    CHA
  +22 =   Jump                             +2     +15   +5     +4     -4    STR
  +11 =   Knowledge: Nobility  +1     +10    +0     +0     --    INT
  +0   =   Listen                            +0     +0      +0     +0     --    WIS
  -1    =   Move Silently              +3     +0      +0     +0     -4    DEX
  +1   =   Perform                        +1     +0      +0     +0     --    CHA
  +20 =   Ride                               +3     +15    +2     +0     --    DEX
  +0   =   Sense Motive               +0     +0      +0     +0     --    WIS
  +0   =   Spot                               +0     +0      +0     +0     --    WIS
  +0   =   Survival                         +0     +0      +0     +0     --    WIS
  +4   =   Swim                             +2     +10    +0     +0     -8   STR
  +3   =   Use Rope                      +3     +0      +0     +0     --    DEX
[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

Rathan

First Post
Airwalkrr said:
Summary of submitted concepts: So far Rathan has expressed interest in playing a rogue and has submitted a character. I've approved that concept although I need to take a harder look at the details. Vertexx69 has indicated interest in either a cleric or wizard; will need more details before approval. s@squ@tch appears to be interested in an arcane caster although I'd like to see more details on that as well. Rhun appears interested in both arcane and divine; will need more details. So Rathan is the only one with a guaranteed slot. Vertexx69 will get precedence if he is indeed interested since he participated the first time around. No one has expressed interest in the primary combatant role (fighter/barbarian/ranger/etc.). A melee type would probably be best for that, although ranged might work too.

Dr. Z... whip up a character as from what it looks here I'm the only one with a permanent slot!

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Hi guys. Is recruitment still open?

Cheers,

DrZ
Yes, I am still interviewing interested candidates. Final group will depend on which character concepts seem to provide the best party. Feel free to ask questions along the way if you would like some guidance.

Edit: Zerith, if you want my honest opinion on things so far, I would rework your character so that Str is your highest score. Con is great as a secondary stat for almost any character, but most characters have better uses for their primary ability. As a knight you already have a d12 HD working in your favor. With a decent Con you'll already have plenty of hp. It isn't worth being able to absorb attacks if you can't dish out serious damage, and Str is the best way to do that.

Also, I would recommend adding shock, fire, or frost to your lance and making it a +1 instead of a flat +2. That will generally enhance your damage. I actually think it would be best to work in a total +3 enhancement. As a knight, I would say your most important magical item is your primary weapon, in many cases the lance. So I would shore up 1/3 of your gp budget just for that. Adding in a burst effect or something similar would be a great boon.

General Notes: I am thinking of using this house rule to test things out. But I won't spring it upon the players if there is a general consensus against it.

Last edited:

Zerith

First Post
allright, I'll make the modifacations; also, since his Str is already going to up his Attack by 3 (net 2 if I lower the enchantment bonus to just 1), how would a flaming shock weapon work? because it looks like he will have an easy time hitting now and as you say; damage is the sort coming :3
[I'm saying flaming shock because while the added 1d10 on CRIT from a bursting weapon would be nice, 1d6 on all attacks seams a lot better, and sparking flames seems logical (ice on the other hand seems to conflict with both fire and lightening: both are hot)

Hmm, looks like his lowest possible damage will increase by 4 while his max(none crit) damage will go up by 14
or 11-30 damage a hit with the lance

.. whoops, just looked, I'm been totaling his damage as if it was one handed weapon and not a two handed weapon ^^;

13-32 damage round down from 13.5-32.5 or 14-33 rounded up :/

Also, I'm thinking of maybe dropping either flaming or shock to add Vicious: what are clerics for any ways? XD

As for the new house rules: I don't have the experience to just know if it is good or not, But I'm planing on this guy being able to move about and they seam to favor that so I'm liking it. :3

That said I do have three questions, one: dos the modifire from strength (or Dex if appropriate) go towards the BAB in this case.
And two: if someone enters or is in the area I threaten dos that mean (in addition to any AoO I can make against this foe if appropriate) I can also us an immediate action to stab them when it is not my turn?
[This seams like a nice combo for Stand Still, something tries to leave my threatened area, I stop them from moving with my AoO and them stab them to make the point "You can't get by as long as I'm standing!" or something like that]

three: how are speed weapons handled: do they just add 5 BAB, or do you someone still get an added attack? (If the latter, maybe add a free attack in when attacking two or more times in a turn?) :/

airwalkrr

Adventurer
how would a flaming shock weapon work?
I know the RAW technically allow you to make a flaming shock weapon, but I don't tend to allow such things in my campaigns. Weapons like that are extremely rare and tend to require sophisticated spellcasters to create as energy admixture is a dangerous thing. So pick one or the other.
dos the modifire from strength (or Dex if appropriate) go towards the BAB in this case.
No, Str and Dex just modify your attack bonus. Your BAB is a completely separate rule element.
if someone enters or is in the area I threaten dos that mean (in addition to any AoO I can make against this foe if appropriate) I can also us an immediate action to stab them when it is not my turn?
Yes, once you get a BAB of 16+ (or have a haste spell with a BAB of 11+) you can use your immediate action attack whenever you like. Just bear in mind you only get one and using an immediate action takes up your swift action for your following turn.
how are speed weapons handled
This is a good point to bring up. Thanks for thinking of it. Since I am still ironing this concept out I will have to think about it. Right now I am leaning towards just thinking it adds a +5 to your BAB for the purposes of determining your attack rate. However I am thinking another way to approach it is to simply say the weapon allows you to make a single attack as a swift action regardless of your other actions during the round. This might allow some interesting things like making a withdraw action while still working in an attack. And it would allow the weapon to still be worthwhile after you have a BAB of 16+.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases