Gaming W/Jemal: Mutant Apocalypse (Recruitment always open)

Jemal

Adventurer
Allright, next up we have Jkason
Skills:
Close Combat (Shock Punch) 2 (+2)
Deception 2 (+5)
Perception 5 (+9)
Ranged Combat (electric blast) 6 (+9)
Technology 11 (+19)
Equipment 2 (10 ep)
Three things. first, you can't put more ranks into a skill than your PL (In this case 9), so you'll have to lower Tech by 2. Secondly, Equipment is an advantage not a skill.
Finally, by my math you've spent 26 Skill points, which costs 13 pp (Should be 24/12 once you lower tech, unless you put those points into other skills).

Powers:
Electrical Control Array (21 pts)
* Electric Arc 9 (Damage, Ranged 2/r) (18 pts)
* Alt: EMP 9 (Nullify electronics, Area (cone) 2/r) (1pt)
* Alt: Optic Nerve Overload 9 (Affliction (per Dazzle (impaired/disabled/unaware), Ranged, Cumulative, Limited (visual) 2/r) (1pt)
* Alt: Shock Punch 9 (Damage linked Affliction (daze/stun/incapacitate) 2/r) (1pt)
Wouldn't the EMP make more sense as a burst area than a cone?
Also I'm going to say both your afflictions are Fortitude saves, as they're physical effects not mental ones.

Electrical Form Array (17 pts)
* Teleport 8 (Accurate, Medium (electrical lines) 2/r) (16 pts)
* Alt: Permeate 3 (2/r) Linked Immunity 2 (suffocation, 1/r) (1 pt)
Don't forget to note that the permeate requires electrically conductive materials.

Powers 90 + Abilities 14 + Defenses 22 + Skills 15 + Advantages 4 = 145PP
What I got is
Powers 90 + Abilities 14 + Defenses 22 + Skills 13 + Advantages 5 = 144PP
Also if you lower tech to the PL and don't put those points into a different skill, your skills will be 12, giving you 2 free pp to spend.

Jemal

Adventurer
And finally, WalkingDad.

Frost
Trade-offs: -1 Att, +1 Damage ; -1 Defense, +1 Toughness

ABILITIES
STRENGTH 1
STAMINA 2
AGILITY 2
DEXTERITY 6
FIGHTING 6
INTELLECT 1
AWARENESS 1
PRESENCE 0

38 PP
Why are his Dex and Fgt 6 base? That would indicate that he is one of the most agile and well-trained fighters In The World, and that it has nothing to do with his powers.

POWERS

Cold Control (33):
Energy Control (Cold) (20)
AP: Create Object (Ice; Impervious Extra, Permanent Flaw) 10 (1)
AP: Blast 10 (Cold) (1)
AP: Blast 10 (Ice) (1)
Flight (Platform) 5 (5)
Environment Control (Cold, intense) 5 (5)
So i was re-reading, and Energy control in 3e is just a specialized Ranged Damage effect, and as such you wouldn't need the blast 10(cold) AP, as that's exactly what Energy Control (Cold) is.
Also just noticed: flight rank 5 would allow you to travel 900ft/move action, which is 60mph.. That's a pretty fast Ice flow! I'll allow it though, b/c all the other characters are also rather speedy. (TK flight rank 6, jumping rank 7, Teleportation).
BTW, you know that Environmental control rank 5 affects 500' radius right?

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover), Ranged Attack (2), Uncanny Dodge Visual
7 point total
Uncanny dodge in 3e doesn't appear to require a linked sense.

OFFENSE
INITIATIVE +2
Unarmed +6 Close , Damage 1
Blast +8, Damage 10

DEFENSE
DODGE 7 (1)
PARRY 7 (1)
FORTITUDE 9 (7)
TOUGHNESS 11
WILL 9 (7)
16 PP
Taking into account your Potential trait raising your PL to 10, and your trade-offs, Dodge/parry are capped at 9, not 7, and you could raise your attack bonus to 9 also. I'm not sure if you couldn't afford it, or forgot that you'd chosen the Potential trait, but I figured I'd point that out in case you'd missed it.
Also, don't forget to note near toughness that it is also impervious 10 (Thus making you immune to dmg rank 5 or lower attacks).

Complications:
Vulnerable to heat attacks
Known face
What's the 'Known face' from? Nothing in his background seemed to indicate he would be particularily well known, quite the opposite in fact. From what I gathered he is/was a shy, loner artist type.

jkason

First Post
Believe I made all the changes.

Wouldn't the EMP make more sense as a burst area than a cone?

My initial concern was that a burst would be likely to knock out allies electronics, too, so a cone had a bit more tactical advantage. But looking at the others, I don't see a lot of tech, so I changed to a burst. I'm assuming that since its actual effect is nullify electronics, the fact that I've named it EMP won't make using it screw up Tinman's powers from his magnetism complication. Let me know if that's not the case, 'cause then I'd definitely need to change it back to a cone or something else I can control / aim a bit better.

Also I'm going to say both your afflictions are Fortitude saves, as they're physical effects not mental ones.

Works for me. added note to that effect on both powers.

Don't forget to note that the permeate requires electrically conductive materials.

Done. Also realized I had some more points I could spend on that alt (especially since Limited brings down the permeate cost), so I added Penetrates Concealment as another linked ability. So he can 'see' what's on either side of anything he's moving through, but only when he's in that form / moving through something already. It didn't seem to be a big game changer.

Question: I was realizing that, with the above addition, Terry has two visual powers for use in scouting. I can't seem to find anything in the book about lip reading. Would that be a skill? It seems wrong to make it a really high Perception check, since generally clueless folks might conceivable have learned to lip read while still missing lots of other things, but I wasn't sure what it might be.

Walking Dad

First Post
And finally, WalkingDad.

Why are his Dex and Fgt 6 base? That would indicate that he is one of the most agile and well-trained fighters In The World, and that it has nothing to do with his powers.
No problem changing this to a power (maybe his body reacts better in combat because he suffers less neural stress and his less biological movement process is more precise? But I would like to avoid higher trade-offs.

So i was re-reading, and Energy control in 3e is just a specialized Ranged Damage effect, and as such you wouldn't need the blast 10(cold) AP, as that's exactly what Energy Control (Cold) is.
Also just noticed: flight rank 5 would allow you to travel 900ft/move action, which is 60mph.. That's a pretty fast Ice flow! I'll allow it though, b/c all the other characters are also rather speedy. (TK flight rank 6, jumping rank 7, Teleportation).
BTW, you know that Environmental control rank 5 affects 500' radius right?
Can lower Environmental control if needed. (Or change it to colder in a smaller radius)
You are right, energy control is blast, so I will take a snare-like affliction instead.
Uncanny dodge in 3e doesn't appear to require a linked sense.
Will do the change.

Taking into account your Potential trait raising your PL to 10, and your trade-offs, Dodge/parry are capped at 9, not 7, and you could raise your attack bonus to 9 also. I'm not sure if you couldn't afford it, or forgot that you'd chosen the Potential trait, but I figured I'd point that out in case you'd missed it.
Also, don't forget to note near toughness that it is also impervious 10 (Thus making you immune to dmg rank 5 or lower attacks).
I wanted to give him some room to grow, but maybe a little higher defense would be good.

What's the 'Known face' from? Nothing in his background seemed to indicate he would be particularily well known, quite the opposite in fact. From what I gathered he is/was a shy, loner artist type.
This is only his old background.

I wanted to had him 'unmasked' at the school incident you described for the game background.
But he can be unknown, if this would be better for the campaign. (Or if it is a too big disadvantage.)

Jemal

Adventurer
Jkason - I'll allow people to take things like binary/morse code/lip-reading as languages (With the language advantage).
And no, the EMP won't affect tinman, b/c your emphasis is on the Electro part, not the Magnetic part. ;)

Walkind Dad -
Environmental control is ok if you want to keep it at rank 5, was just pointing out how large it was. If you want to make it say a rank 2 or 3 EXTREME cold, that would be fine too (And probably more useful)

As for the known face, feel free to have it however you want. Being known is kinda like being famous, it'll have both good AND bad parts. Depending on how your character uses his powers, he may be treated as a hero by some.

And RE: room to grow, if that's what you want, feel free. His combat stats are pretty good as they are, I was just making sure you knew you COULD raise them if you wanted. Leaving them uncapped fits fine with the Potential trait, as I figured any who took it would likely be slightly below their maximum potential anyways.

jkason

First Post
Jkason - I'll allow people to take things like binary/morse code/lip-reading as languages (With the language advantage).
And no, the EMP won't affect tinman, b/c your emphasis is on the Electro part, not the Magnetic part. ;)

Perfect on both counts. Juggled a point around to give him lip reading. :)

hero4hire

Explorer
Hero4Hire - Sorry it took me a couple days, been pretty busy at work and not feeling very up to the task when I got home from it.

First, do you plan on taking any of the traits I listed or sticking with standard meta-human? Looks like you've allready got a +2atk/-2Dmg trade-off, so I'm assuming 'standard'?

Well the build qualifies for Meta, Offense, Potential, Powerful & Trained? Hmmm or am I figuring that out wrong?

34 points spent correct? (Base Agi,Fgt,and Awe 2 +7 from powers)

2pp - And so I've got things straight, it looks like all of your advantages except for Equipment are bought with Powers, correct?

1pp - Why a single point in each acrobatics and Perception? Acrobatics I understand, but perception is usable untrained. Is it just where you decided to dump the extra skill point?

24pp

40pp

20pp

14pp.

Yes, this matches up with what I have on the Power Points section. :)

I wanted a trained Acrobatics and I have a Power that relies on Perception Skill.
Two notes about the weaken effect. First, I don't believe you get to choose which save it goes against, it's determined by what the trait affects. As it it affects Toughness, I would think it would be a fortitude save.

As always GMs are the final arbitrators as to what is best for their games. But this is meant to be a mental effect..almost a "Chi-like" ability. I cannot find anything in the rules as written that determines the saves by what it affects.

Secondly - I'm not so sure about the weaken effect, I'll allow it for now but if it seems to be too powerful in play I will ask you to exchange it for something else.

Sounds fair. Weaken is a lot less powerful than in 2e and I added check required to nerf it further. So Kombat has to
*Take a standard action and make a DC 19 Perception check
*Only the amount of exceeds DC 19 is the ranks he can use. (So he needs to roll a 18 on a d20 (28 perception) to get all 9 ranks.
*Target only loses Toughness to the amount he failed the DC by.

So say I use it on the Powerhouse archetype from the book.

I roll a Perception and get a 15 on the die for a total of 25. This means I get to use 6 ranks of Weaken.
So the Powerhouse now must make a Will save vs DC 16. He gets a 9 for a total of 15. The Powerhouse loses 1 toughness against Kombat's attacks. (and recovers 1 at the end of each of his turns).

What are the DC's? Is that the toughness DC? (And why is grab 'spec 14'?)

Well, Looks good pending complications.

Yeah I wish Herolab specified that in its statblock output. I will edit the sheet to make it clearer.

Grab special means that the DC is "special" as in a str or dex check I believe? (I don't have the Grab rules memorized)

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Sorry has been a busy couple days, haven't been able to get the IC post finished up (Or get much posting done at all). I've got some extra time tommorow night, it should be going up then.

I'm also hoping for/expecting another recruit or two, but I'll add any in as the need arises.

Jemal

Adventurer
Allright,
H4H - I'll leave the weaken thing alone, if you pictured it as mental we'll leave it mental for now.

As far as traits, if you've got a 2 Trade-off, that limits you to Meta or Powerful.

Offense would raise the your PL Cap to 11 for the purposes of Attack/damage, but you can't trade-off anything.
Potential would raise your PL to 10 overall, but you could only take trades of 1.
Trained doesn't allow you to make trades, but does allow you to raise the caps of a couple specific things of your choice.

If you wanted to keep it simple, I'd just stick with the standard Meta, no funny stuff just max trade-off of three.

And if you could add your sheet to the RG that'll give us 5 PC's and I'm pretty much ready to go.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases