Gaming W/Jemal: Mutant Apocalypse (Recruitment always open)

Zerith

First Post
you did? whoops ^^;
any ways, he is not 'supper strong' very strong? heck yes, but as a human he is is affect only a 5 after mutations: he is knocked up to 7 do to being so large (7'6")
As or having high end toughness; he caps out at 8, below what you can get at PL 9 without trading up for it, he is fast first durable second.

The just here is his meta-morph nature has granted him enhanced physical ability in general; tiring muscles can recompose themselves to bring out a bit more endurance, change their mounting point mid flex to increase apparent strength at any given point as well as, again, recompose his muscles to optimize his strength (for example changing the mounting point on the muscles that let him extend his arm to instead retract his arm, or vica versa, to increase utilized muscle without more muscle mass.
Note: he is not doing this knowingly.

As for mutation, he kinda has two, Meta-morpth and speedster, was I spouse to pick just one?:blush:

Addon: wait, why can't he clear a city of evil doers and then leave the city every round? XD
... Drat, and double drat.
Addon 2: so I need to either move take down to level 1, remove Move-by action, or lower his speed cap to 1-4?

Also, his leaping is a byproduct of speed ^^;

Addon 3: Can his base forms have negative stats before enhancements?
Additionally, if the base form has shrinking as innate, can the base str be lowered below 0?

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
I consider a strength of 7 super-strong.. regardless of what the points you payed for it are called, you can throw a 3 ton truck 30' without significant effort.

The just here is his meta-morph nature has granted him enhanced physical ability in general; tiring muscles can recompose themselves to bring out a bit more endurance, change their mounting point mid flex to increase apparent strength at any given point as well as, again, recompose his muscles to optimize his strength (for example changing the mounting point on the muscles that let him extend his arm to instead retract his arm, or vica versa, to increase utilized muscle without more muscle mass.
If that were your mutation I'd be ok with it even though it doesn't make much science sense to me(Not sure how changing shape or 'mounting point' would have any effect on it, but I don't really care about the exact science, this is a Comic Book campaign after all), but I don't want a side-effect of your mutation to give you the Equivalent effect of an entire character concept (Super strength/agility/speed/etc).

What I tell people when making a mutant is this : explain your mutation in a single sentence. If you can't, it's too complicated. Side effects are fine so long as they're not essentially powers/mutations/character concepts in their own right, and are fairly obvious (AKA most people would look at the two and go "oh, I see how those are connected" without needing it explained to them)

If your form of shapechanging allowed for multiple forms, you could have the ability to alter your body to do strength when needed, speed in other circumstances, etc, by buying those as your various forms, but I don't see them making sense as a side effect of "i can change into a cat".

As far as the two powers, I'm not very comfortable with multiple powers unless they're pretty obviously linked (Like I said about side effects above)

Addon 2: so I need to either move take down to level 1, remove Move-by action, or lower his speed cap to 1-4
Whatever keeps the character balanced. I just feel that the ability to start in bed, head to a warehouse, enter the building, drop everybody inside, and end up drinking tea in a cafe on the other side of town in a single round is broken.

My suggestion if you're going for a speedster - move by action is a no-no if your speed is higher than ~ rank 3 or 4. Basically once your movement rate is higher than 50 X Level(Medium range for a ranged attack), At that point you're untouchable, it's just as bad as long range teleport-attack-teleport or intangibility. If the bad guy is incapable of retaliating without a very specific circumstance/attack/action(Readied action for example), then you have turned yourself into a 'gimmick character' that the GM has to plan encounters around. Same thing with things like high end immunities such as 'physical damage', etc.

Gimmick bosses are fun for PC's occasionally, but not for a GM who has to deal with it in every encounter. Imagine if in every fight you had, one of your opponents could only be hurt by fire, for example.

Addon 3: Can his base forms have negative stats before enhancements?
Additionally, if the base form has shrinking as innate, can the base str be lowered below 0?
No neg stats before powers. If you have a power that lowers a stat that can drop it below 0.

Final point: I always function off of the rule of MAD (Mutually Assured Disjunction). What this means is I know worse tricks than you, and I don't need GM approval. If you play nice so will I. ;)

(PS: I'm not picking on you, ask the others I'm just a bit particular about my characters.)

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
(PS: I'm not picking on you, ask the others I'm just a bit particular about my characters.)
Yes, he is ;)

---

But for the speed example, don't forget that the enemy can usually move before using his/her ranged attack. So move action distance plus attack range is the farthest attack one can make in a round.

But super-speed can still be quickly become a GM nightmare.

Think more Quicksilver than the Flash.

Last edited:

Zerith

First Post
Oh, I know you're not, I love getting critiques :3
As for the super strong thing, I'll lower it to around 4 at the high side and throw out the extra large human form (was thinking about it RP wise and after anital greetings it would tire quickly. Also, dos not make much sense that the same power that makes him tiny also makes him big :/)

I'll redo it in the moring :3

Zerith

First Post
think this fixes it :3

[sblock=Human]
Abilities: 16 PP
-Base:
Str: 0 Agl: 0 Fgt: 0 Awe: 0
Sta: 0 Dex: 1 Int: 5 Pre: 2
-Enhanced:
Str: 4 Agl: 9 Fgt: 3 Awe: 0
Sta: 4 Dex: 7 Int: 5 Pre: 2

Initiative: +29

Defence: 16 PP
Dodge: 9
Parry: 8
Fortitude: 5
Toughness: 9/4
Will: 9

Skills: 8 PP
Acrobatics: 10 +19
Athletics 1 +5
Close Combat: - +3
Deception: - +2
Expertise, Art: 8 +13
Insight: - -2
Intimidation: - +2
Perception - +0
Persuasion: - +2
Ranged Combat: - +7
Stealth: 10 +19
Technology: 1 +6
Treatment 5 +10

Advantages: -
Defensive Roll 5
Interpose
Uncanny Dodge
Agile Feint
Redirect
Takedown 2
Improved initiative

Powers: 99 PP
Skill enhancements ( 10 acrobatics, 10 stealth) 10 PP
Ability enhancements: 46 PP
Hybrid morph [Meta morph] 6 PP
Cat morph [Meta morph] 6 PP
Super-speed: 31 PP
-Leaping 5
-Quickness 5
-Speed 5
-- Advantages

Attacks:
Grab +3 (DC Spec 14)
Trow +7 (DC 19)
Unarmed +3 (DC 19)[/sblock]

[sblock=Hybrid]
Abilities: 20 PP
-Base:
Str: -1 Agl: 2 Fgt: 2 Awe: 0
Sta: 0 Dex: 1 Int: 3 Pre: 2
-Enhanced:
Str: 3 Agl: 11 Fgt: 7 Awe: 0
Sta: 4 Dex: 4 Int: 3 Pre: 2

Initiative: +31

Defense: 11 PP
Dodge: 11
Parry: 11
Fortitude: 4
Toughness: 7/4
Will: 7

Skills: 11PP
Acrobatics: 8 +19
Athletics 4 +7
Close Combat: - +7
Deception: - +2
Insight: - +0
Intimidation: - +0
Perception 4 +4
Persuasion: - +2
Ranged Combat: - +4
Stealth: 8 +23*
[*The bonus from size bypasses PL cap]

Defensive Roll 3
Interpose
Uncanny Dodge
Agile Feint
Redirect
Takedown 2
Improved grab
Improved initiative

Powers: 103 PP
Ability enhancements: 34 PP
Extra limb[Tail] 1 PP
Shrinking 4 [Permanent, Innate] 9 PP
Density Growth 4 [Permanent ] 8 PP
Claws 4 [ Strength based strike, Accurate 4] 8pp
Super-speed: 31 PP
-Leaping 6
-Quickness 6
-Speed 6
-- Advantages

Attacks:
Grab +7 (DC Spec 13)
Claw + 11 (DC 22)
Trow +4 (DC 18)
Unarmed +7 (DC 18)[/sblock]

[sblock=Cat]
Abilities:14
-Base:
Str: -3 Agl: 2 Fgt: 0 Awe: 0
Sta: 0 Dex: 0 Int: 2 Pre: 3
-Enhanced:
Str: -3 Agl: 8 Fgt: 0 Awe: -3
Sta: 0 Dex: 0 Int: 2 Pre: 3

Initiative: +36

Defense: 10 PP
Dodge: 11/14
Parry: 11
Fortitude: 0
Toughness: 7/0
Will: 4

Skills: 22 PP
Acrobatics: 11 +19
Athletics 9 +6
Close Combat: - +0
Deception: - +3
Insight: - +0
Intimidation: - -3
Perception 13 +13
Persuasion: - +3
Ranged Combat: - +0
Stealth: 11 +31*
[*The bonus from size bypasses PL cap]

Defensive Roll 5
Interpose
Uncanny Dodge
Agile Feint
Redirect
Move-by action
Takedown 2
Improved grab
Improved initiative

Powers: 99 PP
Ability enhancements: 12 PP
Extra limb[Tail] 1 PP
Shrinking 12 [Permanent, Innate] 25 PP
Claws 3 [ Strength based strike, Accurate 5] 8 PP
Super-speed: 49 PP
-Leaping 7
-Quickness 2
-Speed 7
-Movement [water walking 1, Wall-Crawling 2, Limited: must be moving]
-Movement [Safe fall]
-- Advantages

Attacks:
Grab +0 (DC Spec 7)
Claw + 10 (DC 15)
Trow +0 (DC 12)
Unarmed +0 (DC 12)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
I'll be posting an IC update in the next couple days,

[MENTION=99953]Zerith[/MENTION] - hopefully will be able to look through the new character soon.

Zerith

First Post
It's still fundamental the same character;)
btw, I would have striped (or at least massively scaled back) his speed and related abilities from his human form, but I don't have a good idea on what to sink 78 points into that could be considered a power that would not complacate him further :/
(considered giving him items, but giving him items that go poof when he changes form is hella weak.)

Walking Dad

First Post
You could have made the human form powerless and an identity complication. You hasve only full PP/PL in Hybrid/Cat form. Not the DM, just a suggestion.

Billy Batson hasn't as much power as Captain Marvel.

Zerith

First Post
hmm, the Powerful trait says he needs to have 90 in powers, but if Jemal is ok with just using empty points I could scale the human down massively (while keeping just a few light enhancments) and basically tos out around 70 PP for his human form. :3

Jemal

Adventurer
Exactly, You could take it as an 'unpowered identity' complication. The unpowered 'normal' you would have no 'powers' (AKA the 90 pts) other than the ability to change into your other forms( he could take Morph but nothing else for 'powers'), but would still have skills/advantages that could be useful.

I actually think I'd prefer that over the other option. Still gotta go over the character, but if you took a 'normal human' as your base, the rest looks pretty good (Though I did notice on a quick glance that you still have the full Takedown/move by action/high speed combo.)

I still need to know what your mutation exactly is, I've got the 'I turn into a super-fast cat' part figured out, but... is there anything more to it, a reason or explanation for why the cat is super-fast and powerful, or just because 'I wanted to play a fast powerful shape-shifting cat'? Any reason why there's also a hybrid form instead of just one form? How/why does his mutation work like it does?

And finally, a main thing I want to note about Morphs : The change shouldn't be affecting you mentally, so your mental stats should remain the same, as well as skill ranks and most advantages (Changing shape doesn't alter your training or what you know, but could grant say 'improved initiative' etc.)

Now If the change IS into an entirely new Persona, then it would be a mental effect, but so long as your character remains the same person, and it isn't a Jeckyl/Hyde thing, the mental stuff should be consistent.

Remove ads