Dungeon Crawl Classics Loot Deal

DrOct

First Post
So today over at loot (Loot! | Great Game. Great Price.) they've got a deal on 10 Dungeon Crawl Classics 4E adventures. Looks like it's potentially a decent deal and several of the plot summaries sound like adventures I'd really want to run (or at least plunder for ideas). But I've never read any of these, or indeed any of the Dungeon Crawl Classics adventures.

I haven't really had a lot of luck finding reviews of the various adventures in the pack (I've found a few but not reviews of most of them, I'm sure I could but I'm at work and so don't want to spend too too long delving into the internet looking for reviews, just trying to get a basic idea of peoples thoughts on these) and so I thought I'd check here to see if people have much experience with them, and what your thoughts are on the adventures and how good a deal this is (after shipping it works out to about $43 if I'm not mistaken).

So do you have much experience with these adventures? Do you have general experience with the Dungeon Crawl Classics line generally?

kilamanjaro

First Post
The Punjar adventures are pretty good. The Isle of the Sea Drake is ok. The Forges of the Mountain King is awful. I'm not familiar with the others.

DrOct

First Post
The Punjar adventures are pretty good. The Isle of the Sea Drake is ok. The Forges of the Mountain King is awful. I'm not familiar with the others.

Thanks for the reply! Good to know! The Punjar adventures are the ones I've seen the most coverage of, and most of the reviews seem to be positive. I'm not too interested in the Sea Drake adventure because for some reason I've just never been big on nautical adventures. It's too bad to hear about the Mountain King adventure.

Anyone have any experience with the others (or even with those already mentioned above?)

DrOct

First Post
I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger. I figure even bad adventures (and it sounds like at least some of these are far better than that) usually have some plunderable encounters or ideas!

S'mon

Legend
We just finished playing Sellswords of Punjar, I enjoyed it a lot. I also have Thrones of Punjar, I've only skimmed it but it looks pretty good. Other Goodman 4e adventures I have are Death Dealer: Shadows of Mirahan which looks very interesting, especially the defense of a ruined castle vs an unstoppable undead horde, and Curse of the Kingspire, a 'Master Dungeon' which looks complex to play, but I think could be great with the right group.

Edit: Their 4e adventures generally seem stronger than many of the 3e ones I've run or bought.

Last edited:

Ajar

Explorer
My girlfriend ran Kingspire for our small group last year. It was a pretty interesting module, and a lot of fun. I actually wish we'd explored it a bit more thoroughly instead of plowing straight into the heart of the matter -- the way we did things, we ended up finding out about the major plot point right away, and pursued it directly. It led to some tough battles, though, and the scene where my Swordmage|Warden hybrid stood toe-to-toe with an 80' wurm while the rest of the party fled was pretty awesome.

She's running the Punjar modules for her PbP group now, and they seem to be really enjoying it. She's mentioned a couple of times that there have been items without descriptions that don't exist in the Compendium, and I'm not the biggest fan of the random tables, but otherwise I think she's pretty happy with them.

I've got Mists of Madness myself, and am just waiting for an opportunity to run it.

Remove ads