D&D 4E If 4e went in this direction...

An easy way to make themes for later levels is embracing the "boon" design of DMG 2.
Whenever you feel the need, you can just add a boon which gives a power and an item bonus associated with that. (or even an untyped bnus)

The only thing preventing that is the unability of both char generators to modify items. (Boons are implemented and can even add things like a new power, see corellons boon of arcane might... although there is a bug which makes multiple boons of arcane might useless)

Heh, this necro is kinda interesting to me, because this post presages all of what I've tinkered with in the last 2 years in 4e. Our game is totally built around a sort of 'boon' now, much as you, and perhaps Matt James, pointed to here 5 years ago. I think I've taken it a few steps further than you guys probably imagined, but this post might be the germ of the idea, lol.

Myrhdraak

Explorer
Sorry, for the necro, but loremaster.org no longer exists. Are the blog articles on themes available anywhere else?

I have put them all together in my 4th Edition Character Themes Compendium, and then I have combined some of them with the 5th edition character backgrounds concept into my own 4.5 Edition Character Backgrund Compendium. Quite happy with the result as it brings together the inspiration and deeper character story elements of 5th with combat flavours of 4th.

/Myrhdraak

Last edited:

Remove ads