Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Adventure Paths

Crothian

First Post
Is Rise of the Runelords... wonky, like a lot of "first in the line" products sometimes are?

Not that I noticed. They had done three adventure paths previously in the Dungeon Magazines with support in the Dragon magazines. Pathfinder is just a mix of those two magazines with a focus on the adventure path.

IronWolf

blank
Is Rise of the Runelords... wonky, like a lot of "first in the line" products sometimes are?

It generally gets favorable reviews to my knowledge. And keep in mind, Paizo had already done Shackled City, Age of Worms and Savage Tide in the Dungeon Magazine - so they weren't really new to what it takes to bring together a well written AP.

Dannager

First Post

Nope. It's a solidly-constructed, "classic" campaign - it hits a lot of the traditional D&D themes, with dungeon crawls, stone giants, evil wizards, a bit of gothic horror, and goblins.

Retreater

Legend
My opinion of Kingmaker:

I ran the first four adventures from Kingmaker and decided it wasn't a great fit for our group. Mostly it was because it was too easy. Everything was a cakewalk for the party.

The 4th adventure in particular was just so easy that the party could just walk into the BBEG's place and make him their b*tch. He was such a joke that I had to scrap the entire concept and rework from scratch. I put every villain in a single room working in unison in a well planned ambush against the party ... and only then was the battle close.

But then -- without trying to put in too many spoilers -- the difficulty of the 6th adventure jumps to obscene levels. There are ridiculous ACs that no PC can hit without a Natural 20, instant-kill attacks, etc. It was as if the module designer either had 1) never DMed a high level adventure or 2) had a sadistic sense of humor.

Retreater

Crothian

First Post
It was as if the module designer either had 1) never DMed a high level adventure or 2) had a sadistic sense of humor.

Are you not familiar with Paizo adventure design? When running through one of their adventures when we reach a particular nasty and insanely difficult encounter I usually say "Yep, it's a Paizo adventure."

It is one of the things I've likes about Kingmaker. I don't have to make sure my character is perfectly made with the most efficient spending of gold on magical items. I don't mind easy as long as the players are having fun. There is more for us to enjoy in the Kingmakers then just combat.

MrSumOne

First Post
I'm new to this whole RPG thing, and I tried the module Hollow's Last Hope and I thought everyone enjoyed it. The time restraint put a lot of tension into the mission. I was thinking next time we played it could be some months later in the same town and play Crown of the Kobold King, since they connect, then Revenge of the Kobold King. Or... just trying out one of the paths instead.

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
I'm new to this whole RPG thing, and I tried the module Hollow's Last Hope and I thought everyone enjoyed it. The time restraint put a lot of tension into the mission. I was thinking next time we played it could be some months later in the same town and play Crown of the Kobold King, since they connect, then Revenge of the Kobold King. Or... just trying out one of the paths instead.

Adventure paths are great, but be warned they require quite a bit of investment in time, they can be trying for a group to manage to reach the end.

tylermalan

First Post
So, the general opinion is...

All of the APs are pretty good, but each is different and will suit different groups better than others. Second Darkness gets slightly less favorable reviews, Council of Thieves has some issues for some groups, and Kingmaker is rated pretty high by most. All of the APs are usable with the Pathfinder rules, even the earlier ones.

Does that about cover it?

IronWolf

blank
So, the general opinion is...

All of the APs are pretty good, but each is different and will suit different groups better than others. Second Darkness gets slightly less favorable reviews, Council of Thieves has some issues for some groups, and Kingmaker is rated pretty high by most. All of the APs are usable with the Pathfinder rules, even the earlier ones.

Does that about cover it?

I think that is a reasonable summary.

My recommendation would be to hit Paizo's site and review the summaries of the APs and then choose two or three that sound like it might be a good fit for your group. Then research those more heavily using past posts here and on Paizo's boards to help pick up on what other people have thought. Then when you read those reviews you can gauge whether their concerns are warranted or if though something is a concern for your group it could be right up your group's alley.

Remove ads