Foreign language words for Shadow?

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
And here's Hungarian, which has words that (I think) sound dark and menacing for the requested words:

Dark = Sötét (SHOET-ayt)

Shadow = Árnyék (ARNY-ayk)

Nightmare = Árnyrém (ARNY-raym, literal translation would be "shadowy horror")

Night = éj (pronounced like the english letter "A" with just a touch of "y" sound on the end)

Obscure (adj) = jelentéktelen (YELL-en-take-tell-en, best literal translation into English is probably "without a known presence")

Obscure (verb) = elhomályosít (EL-hohm-eye-oh-sheet, best literal English translation would probably be "fully blotting/causing to fade out")

Eclipse (noun) = fogyatkozás (FOH-dyaht-kohz-ahsh, best literal translation into English would be "the gradual diminishing" though there is much more connotation than that)

Eclipse (verb) = there are four of them:
elhomályosít (see "obscure" above)
elsötétít (EL-shoet-ayt-eat, best literal translation would probably be "to fully darken")
felülmúl (FEL-uehl-mool, best translation would probably be "to cover up")
túlszárnyal (TOOL-sahr-nyahl, best translation would probably be "to completely fly in front of" - metaphorically, "to outstrip or exceed")

--The Sigil

Undead Pete

First Post
The Sigil said:
And here's Hungarian, which has words that (I think) sound dark and menacing for the requested words:

Dark = Sötét (SHOET-ayt)

Shadow = Árnyék (ARNY-ayk)

Nightmare = Árnyrém (ARNY-raym, literal translation would be "shadowy horror")

Night = éj (pronounced like the english letter "A" with just a touch of "y" sound on the end)

Obscure (adj) = jelentéktelen (YELL-en-take-tell-en, best literal translation into English is probably "without a known presence")

Obscure (verb) = elhomályosít (EL-hohm-eye-oh-sheet, best literal English translation would probably be "fully blotting/causing to fade out")

Eclipse (noun) = fogyatkozás (FOH-dyaht-kohz-ahsh, best literal translation into English would be "the gradual diminishing" though there is much more connotation than that)

Eclipse (verb) = there are four of them:
elhomályosít (see "obscure" above)
elsötétít (EL-shoet-ayt-eat, best literal translation would probably be "to fully darken")
felülmúl (FEL-uehl-mool, best translation would probably be "to cover up")
túlszárnyal (TOOL-sahr-nyahl, best translation would probably be "to completely fly in front of" - metaphorically, "to outstrip or exceed")

--The Sigil

Beat me to it. My wife is Hungarian...i was gonna ask her for some help.

The only Hungarian I know is Badz Meg (no offense...it's probably spelled wrong anyway) :D

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Undead Pete said:
Beat me to it. My wife is Hungarian...i was gonna ask her for some help.

The only Hungarian I know is Badz Meg (no offense...it's probably spelled wrong anyway) :D

It's "Bassz Meg" and you're fortunate Eric's grandmother doesn't know Magyar. ;)

--The Sigil

zouron

First Post
Greenlandic

Dark = Târtok
Shadow = Alángok
Nightmare = Okimangernek or Angnikitdliûtekangârnek
Night = únuak
Obscure = ulípâ
Eclipse = târsinek
Eclipse of the Sun = Sekernup Pulenara

Maerdwyn

First Post
Arabic:
Shadow: Till (the t has a very heavy sound, like the t in "Tom"
Night: leila
Eclipse: kasoof
Twilight: ghasaq (the gh is a gutteral "r" like "Paris" said with an
outrageous French accent)
Obscure: ghamaD (gh as above, D is very heavy, as in "thud")

Welsh:

Shadow: Cysgod (pronounced "kus-gid")
Eclipse: diffyg ("dee-fug")
Night: nos ("knowss"), or hwyr ("hyoo-er", also means "evening")
Obscure: aneglur ("ah-nay-glir") or tywyll ("tow-eel" - "tow" as in "towel"; the"l" is breathy)

Last edited:

ramuji

First Post
Japanese:

Shadow:
kage = shadow
kuragari = darkness; dark place (e.g. "someone is lurking in the darkness")
hitokage = shadow of a person, or silhouette

Dark:
kurai = dark
yami = darkness (e.g. "He escaped under cover of darkness/into the dark night.")
kuroi = black

Eclipse:
nisshoku = solar eclipse
gesshoku = lunar eclipse
kaikigesshoku = total lunar eclipse
bubungesshoku = partial lunar eclipse

Obscure:
fumeiryo = indistinct, inarticulate, ill-defined
aimai = ambiguous, vague

Night:
yoru = night
yakan = night, nighttime
nichibotsu = sunset, sundown

tarchon

First Post
Swahili

shade/shadow = <i>uvuli</i>, (class 11) apparently in the general sense

shade/shadow = <i>kivuli</i>, (class 7) specifically a ghost as in many other languages, it might also refer to a cast shadow. The contrast in noun classes suggests that <i>uvuli</i> is probably what we call shade while <i>kivuli</i> is what we call a shadow, but the dictionary I'm using is unclear about it.

dark = <i>-ausi/-eusi</i> What goes before the - depends on what it modifies, e.g. <i>kivuli chausi</i>, dark shadow.

Mongolian (standard Halka)

shadow = <i>sïïder</i>
dark = <i>baraan, bïrenhii, har</i>

Both of the on-line dictionaries roughly agree, but I have no idea about the particular connotations, except that <i>har</i> is basically the color black (related to Turkish <i>kara</i> and perhaps Japanese <i>kuroi</i>). They each give several other options, so I'm guessing that Mongolian doesn't have a closely corresponding semantic category. Mongolian terms for visual appearance generally don't correspond well to Western concepts, I've found.

Eristophenes

First Post
And what about polish? ;)

Shadow - Cieñ

Dark - ciemny, mroczny

Eclipse - zacmienie (instead of "c" there should be "c" with a dot on top of it - but it's polish letter :rolleyes: )

Oscure - ciemny, ponury

Night - noc

Last edited:

Irbis

First Post
In Russian...

Shadow -- ten'

Dark -- t'ma (also the word for "ten thousand" in Old Russian, btw)

Eclipse -- zatmenie

Obscure -- temniy

Night -- noch'

Hope this helps

Talvisota

First Post
Russian-

dark (n) teem-no-TA
dark (adj) TYOM-ny
dark (adv) teem-NO

shadow (n) tyen' (doesn't write well, you have to hear it)

night (n) noch
night (adj) nach-NOY

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases