ZEITGEIST Preview: The Skyseer Theme (4E & PFRPG)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This PDF is a glimpse at one of several character themes available in the upcoming ZEITGEIST adventure path for D&D 4th Edition and PATHFINDER RPG. Below, you'll find two PDFs - one for D&D 4E and one for PATHFINDER; download the one you prefer (or both if you really want to). Remember to also check out the quick Player Primer handout and the Introduction to ZEITGEIST (for GMs), both also free.

Truly ancient lore suggests that the mortal races were once able to travel to the stars with the aid of magic now lost, much like demons and angels can be briefly summoned into this world. But for the full length of remembered history, the heavens have been nearly inscrutable. The druids, used to thinking in long terms of seasons, years, and the lifespan of trees, were the first to notice subtle connections between the movements of stars and the affairs of this world.

They too were first to learn how to step through the veils that lead to the Dreaming or the Bleak Gate, and without their aid King Kelland could never have defeated the fey titans.

For over a thousand years, the druids would gaze into the sky night after night, awaiting dreams that would grant revelations of the future. These seers, by guiding journeyers and heroes with their visions, averted many catastrophes. When the Second Victory led to Srasama’s fall, the skyseers read the signs and helped hundreds of eladrin women flee their homeland so they could avoid genocide.

In the past few centuries, the many orders and factions of skyseers in Risur have struggled to divine much of import from the stars. Their visions, never precise or clear to begin with, failed to foresee the rise of Danor’s industry, failed to avert scores of natural disasters and man-made tragedies. The people of Risur still go through the motions of skyseer rituals, but the old druids’ influence has faded. Few young people today aspire to join their once-prestigious ranks.

Attachments

• Skyseeer Theme 4E.pdf
    604.5 KB · Views: 547
  • Skyseeer Theme PF.pdf
    620.1 KB · Views: 372
  • z.jpg
    z.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
I like that he MUST use the rolled result from the encounter power. Prevents the abuse that Dice of Auspicious Fortune generate.

Colmarr

First Post
I agree, and it also enforces the fluff in a very mechanical way. The skyseers can see the future in the stars. If one tells you not to use Little Bait then you don't use Little Bait (or if you do you soon learn to take them seriously :))

IIRC Dark Sun correctly, those themes had higher level powers that you could choose instead of your class powers. Will the Zeitgeist themes have this as well?

I note the "Role: Leader:". Does that mean the theme is limited to leaders or that it grants leader-like abilities? If the former, it rules out the PHB2 druid (which is a controller). That seems odd given the link between the skyseers and the druids.

Last edited:

Any character can take any theme. The theme states what role it itself is, but you could have a swordmage skyseer if you wanted, or a fighter gunsmith, or a warlord eschatologist.

We're not putting in higher level powers at first. That, honestly, is because we planned a word count, and we're already over that. If we put in more, the book would get a little overlong.

We might put higher level options into the later adventures.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Looks interesting, though I've never been a big fan of those "predict the future" spells/powers dating back to 1E days. I like the theme concept, though.

Dalamar

Adventurer
Nice flavor on it, gotta say. Though there's this little nitpicky thing about it... the daily should have a Requirement line, not a Prerequisite line. The former is for requirements of use, the latter for prerequisites for learning a power in the first place.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Any character can take any theme. The theme states what role it itself is, but you could have a swordmage skyseer if you wanted, or a fighter gunsmith, or a warlord eschatologist.

I could be stating the obvious here, but you could always do the same as the Darksun Themes and just include upgrades to the powers at higher levels. I find the common ones to be

1, 13, 27
3, 17
7, 23

1, 15, 29
5, 19
9, 25

Usually these take up between 3-5 words extra per line, but they're easier than writing out an entirely new power.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases