Review of Reavers of Harkenwold

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I've seen a fair amount of discussion of the adventure from the Dungeon Master's Kit, Reavers of Harkenwold, but I hadn't seen an actual review of the adventure. So, since I recently finished running the adventure, I decided to post a review on my blog.

In short, I think the adventure is excellent. I ran it with a group of three PCs who loved combat, and it was easy to run. I think it would have been equally easy to run with five PCs who prefer more story and less fighting. It's a well-written adventure, and I'd certainly recommend it.

I do wish it were available outside of the DM Kit, as lots of DMs probably have no interest in the DM book or the tokens (if they already have the Dungeon Master Guides and minis). Fortunately, I have an awesome friendly local game store that lent me their copy of the adventure to run. Thanks again, Enchanted Grounds!

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing!

I am in the planning stages of unleashing this on a new campaign with my group. They're currently in a build-up stage to get them ready for it (they will be on the cusp of level 2 when they get there).

Major differences - my group is 6 players, at least half of them heavy RPers.

I was immediately struck by the basic "good-ness" of this module; lots of NPCs and locations to explore. It's open-ended and sandbox-y, while still having a plot, event-based encounters, and it makes allowances for skipped encounters, botched plans, and outright failure. Everything that most of their other modules utterly fail at.

Having said that, I should point out that I've done some considerable modifications to the module; I've switched/altered many of the NPCs, changed the real power behind the coup, altered names and places to suit my campaign world, and made a few other changes in order to tie several encounters into my world better. This ended up meaning a total rewrite of some of them. And because of the 6-PC factor, I've had to add an extra creature to each combat encounter.

I should post details of the changes and my results when I'm done running it...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases