Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Southern California is blue.... the resistance placed a MASSIVE Field that links the US boarder to the London Bridge (located at lake Havasu Arizona) to Santa Loma California... The field was worth ZERO AP and is bugged.
Speaking of which, I have/had resonators on London Bridge. Recent trip over there means that I can say that I have owned portals in two continents.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
This is annoying me... I'm finding it hard to come up with some specifics for the game my ingress partner wants me to gm...

The basic look of the would be think of like something from Studio Ghilbli. The world has 1930-40s equivalent tech, its an alternate world so planes as are replaced by "air ships" ala the John Carter movie. People live within clustered cities which are connected by rail and poorly maintained roads that transverse great stretches of wilderness. Traveling from city to city is dangerous and costly because monsters and roaming bands of miscreants exist within the wilderness. Did I mention magic exists, and that magic users are feared/respected and like to charge exorbitant amounts for their teleportation services?

I'm thinking the basic player races will be limited to human, fae touched, fae (basically elves), and automatron.

Genre wise the game could be considered pulp fantasy (hell it uses Savage Worlds so its a given).

Beyond the above, I'm having trouble coming up with a general plot, and most importantly a map and some info about the starting city itself.

-Sent via a cybernetic device.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
That sounds a lot like Arcanum. Have you ever played it? In Arcanum most of the plot was centered around a conflict between emerging tech and magic users becoming shunned by this new tech centered society.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, it could work as a "Wild West"* type campaign, with exploration, banditry, range wars and the like. I can see a gold (Mithril?) rush. Territorial expansion with hazards like monsters & hostile natives.

* and by that I mean the historical Wild West, combined with the TV shows Wild, Wild West, Adventures of Briscoe County Jr and other "weird west" type sources.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
That sounds a lot like Arcanum. Have you ever played it?
Never played it. It ws one of those games I wanted to by, but never ended up buying.

In Arcanum most of the plot was centered around a conflict between emerging tech and magic users becoming shunned by this new tech centered society.
Well, it could work as a "Wild West"* type campaign, with exploration, banditry, range wars and the like. I can see a gold (Mithril?) rush. Territorial expansion with hazards like monsters & hostile natives.

* and by that I mean the historical Wild West, combined with the TV shows Wild, Wild West, Adventures of Briscoe County Jr and other "weird west" type sources.

Hmm... I could scale the tech back to the late 1890s - 1910 and start using western tropes. Like that mythril "gold rush"... Maybe it's tied to laylines? That is, lay line vortexes are were deposits can be found? This might lead to the destruction of fae/native holy sites. Thus the old civilization vs Nature/Native/Mystic trope can be established. Hell, if a schism between magic and tech was beginning that would help explain the reasons behind it, after all why do you need magic if our airships can fly on diesel or helium/hyrdogen gas? Why do you need communication spells if radio, telephone, and wire works just fine ? So why not blow up those mystic stes to get the mythril burried underneath since nothing will happen except technology and science will advance at the cost of magic! Maybe the Fae need magic to survive so human society's slow adoption of tech and destruction of their mystic power sources is starting to give them an existential crisis to the point where some would begin a asymmetric terrorist campaign known as the "Wyld Hunt" to purge the world of technology's taint :D

Seems like a lot of things are happening in terms of conflicts. It would make a good plot point driven campaign.

Its funny, I know I had ideas for this campaign for a while, but I never connected the dots and never fleshed them out. Thanks everyone.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You don't need to scale the tech back, but it won't hurt things if you do.

You might also want to borrow elements from HG Wells & Jules Verne or even Harry Turtledove's Darkness series:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkness_Series

I like the idea of tying Mithril deposits to ley lines. That could make mining Mithril against the wishes of the indiginous people especially hazardous if ley lines supercharge magic like it does in RIFTS.

Oooooohhh...perhaps Mithril acts as a mana attractor, but also has industrial applications. Thus, the reason for mining the Mithril is pure commerce with the disruption of magic being a side effect. When mages venture into civilized areas, they are weakened, and tech rules. (Of course, since Mithril is a mana attractor, casters can offset that weakening by carrying items made of Mithril. Crafty ones may even have safe houses filled with Mithril artifacts.)

So the world would have live and dead magic zones.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_Goes_Away

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases