Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

The first computer game I played either came on a cassette tape, or was typed in from a computer manual. The entire gameplay set could have been contained on an index card. Today, there is a computer game which emulates an entire universe of 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 planets. A common complaint is that it "lacks features".

It is rather remarkable, and in, mostly, a good way.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
first game: Pong. Second game B1 bomber on commodore 64. Hacked the cassette tape to give me unlimited bombs and fuel. later I played L.o.R.D.

Something has been lost from the simplicity of programming those old computers. Unfortunately, modern programming games on modern programming methods means that coding even a relatively simple game requires a sizable amount of work, or a language designed for children. Quite a bit of distance to "Computer: Create an Earth Old West tavern, complete with patrons."

Perhaps something like context-aware programming or a domain-specific language for game development - Possibly both? It would seem to take quite a bit of complexity to get programming that simple again.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Pong, Atari 2600, ColecoVision, Intellivision... played many of the classics here. :)

Also had several iterations of the Trash-80, complete with cartridges, cassette deck, 5.25" floppy and even a plug-in modem that I used to talk to exactly one person online ever - in my same town. :3

I spent hours connecting to BBS's to play *online games, after we got a modem. The staples of the day were, IIRC, Tradewars? 2?00, a precursor of sorts to games like "Star Citizen", complete with building your own empire and player-vs-player combat; a "galactic empire" game where you balanced your purchase and conquest of planets such as to grow your empire as fast as possible; the same as a land-based game; a turn-based RPG with different races and classes, as well as the possibility to conquer and found cities; Meelee, a literal arena combat game; and Red Dragon Inn; a game beloved by some players for reasons **other than adventuring. Ironically, the two I liked least are the ones I remember the names of. They both seemed to lack in the "general game" category; and "Meelee" had few players as your character stood a very high risk of dying. Around 50% each combat.

As I recall, the two empire games were mirrors of each other, save with the names changed from "land" to "planet" and resource tweaks. They were very well balanced; I don't know of anyone who outright broke them.

* Yes, kids, there were online games before the internet. ;) You generally played sequentially.
** There was an optional part of the game that some people played and some people did not; I was one of the "not"; and if you still don't understand, you're too young.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
the only BBS I was active with was called Flying Tiger BBS. it had two games running, One being Legend of the red dragon and the other was a space exploration game

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
Pacman, on the Atari. I got quite good at it.

And then the Atari stopped working. It was old when I first started playing it.

I occasionally try modern remakes, but they're just not the same.

Remove ads