Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Otherwise.... I am waiting to lose power tommorrow afternoon as Irene gets mean.

Figuring 2-3 days of no power based on past history of nasty storms in southern Vermont.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
A random thought:

JaneWay is THE ABSOLUTE BEST Federation Captain Evar. Proof lies in the fact that during the final episode, Future Janeway stated that only 24 crewmen would die during the remainder of the Voyager's 23 year journey home.

Think about that.. 134 of 158 crewmembers survived a 23 year journey, yet the Enterprise-D looses more then that number of people during a standard mission in federation space vs ships he has full technical schematics of. Captain Pichard... you suck at being a captain. No wonder why Westley Crusher left.

Last edited:

especially since that's one a year for heart attacks and on ship accidents. Very good odds.

Storm is close now. Going to work at the store. Just checked all flashlights, filled several 5 gallon pails with water (for flushing) and verified our drinking and washing water is good.

When i get home is about when Irene should be over VT / N H area.

Seeya in the funny papers (fully expect to lose power until Tuesday / Wednesday)

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Alright see ya then. Oh and be sure to tell of how far on an over reacting scale between 1 and 10 that hurricane ranked, since I have a bet going everyone in government will be patting themselves on the back of this one and will act like it was potentially as bad as Katrina was and they ended up saving the day.

This is how my last 36 hours went.....

Left house at 6:45am to go to work. Light drizzle for rain. River is normal (I live right on the Battenkill River. Got to work. many people buying the last of our water and batteries. As expected.

At 9am several people rush into the store screaming the house is gone! One of the mountain fed rivers rose and flashflooded and was flooding several houses. One house was witnessed as the roof lifting up and washing away.

I look outside. Light but steady rain.

Funny guys. Real funny.

Several more come in saying the same thing. These people I know and know them to not to lie. Crap! Look outside. light but steady rain.

Noontime.

People come in and say how the river water at the bridge where I live is not about six feet higher than it was when I left for work. Crap! I now also begin to hear they are evacuating sections of Bennington as the supermarkets are flooding. People are being rescued by boats.

I decide its time to call home. The kids won't answer. Crap!

Go to call the wife whom works in Bennington. Some a$$wipe has stolen the store phone book. I can't get her. Crap!

Now learn they are shutting down roads in Sunderland (just north of us) as the Roaring Branch river has flashflooded and is wiping out roads as well as a house or three.

At 1:00 the wife calls me at the store. She has heard of how many roads in Bennington are being closed. She has heard of flooding at the supermarkets. Asks me if she should come home early. Yes.

At 1:15 I learn a section of the road she would use (route 7) has collapsed and other roads are being closed. Still can't get ahold of the kids by phone and now the wife may be stranded on a crumbling apart road.

I am in near panic.

Now I learn all but two roads leading in or out of town are closed. My relief can not come. I'm pulling a double at the store.

I still don't know what is happening. Rumors begin that the road I live on (Rt 313) is about to be closed. One of the people telling me this said the water was over a foot deep on the road and that my kids were seen by the river watching everything from kayaks, gas tanks, toys etc... go down the river. There is fear that the bridge near us is about to break.

WHERE THE F IS EVERYONE!

Finally the wife arrives but the roads are closed. She is stranded in town with me and the kids... where exactly they are I'm not sure... are trapped 5 miles away.

Panic has set in for me at this point.

Finally my daughter answers the phone. I make it clear they are to stay IN THE HOUSE. Though next to the river, the house is at least 30 ft above it. So long as they stay within it they will be okay.

Stewart's District manager calls. He will pay for a motel room and hopes for the best. Great. half of the family is on high ground in the town of Arlington and the younger half are trapped from other areas on highground.

Didn't sleep well. Got up at 6am and checked on the store. The town wouldn't open the schools up for a shelter so the store became the town's shelter during open hours. Crying customers whom lost pets and homes. Others lost cars, trucks, trailers and other such stuff.

Finally at 9am the water had retreated enough that they reopened 313 and we got home.

The covered bridge next to my house, a place I consider home as much as the building I sleep in, is heavily damaged. The bridge up from us is damaged as a camping trailer complete with the truck it was hitched to crashed into it. It can be found on the internet.

(picture can be found on burlingtonfreepress site)

Alright..... so how bad was the storm?

Bad enough.

At least all of my family is alive and safe. I still have my house and cars. I can't say that for people I know in bennington County.

I don't mean to sound mean.... I still a bit in shock. I've never been in a situation like this where I knew not where my family were and if they were okay. and still had to go to work and be proffessional as others were in the same (or worse) spot as me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases