"NPC/monster" generator based on my PCgen files

benbash

First Post
I'm looking for a NPC generator (or monster generator) that would take my PC Gen files as input.

Example:
My friends and I use PCGen to create pathfinder Player Characters. So, if we have 4 PCs at 12th level, I want to drop upload those four PCGen files to a web site, and have it spit back at me an "easy" level CR10 encounter, a CR 12 encounter, and a "hard" CR 14 encounter... complete with all stats, spells, and gear.

It'd be easier for the tool to return a single dragon. It would be harder (but cooler) for the tool to return four NPCs. In either case, the tool should do all the stat generation, gear generation, spell selection, and other math. :D

I've seen the NPC Pathfinder generator at
Pathfinder Dingles Games

I've seen the Encounter generator at
Encounter Generator | DM Tools: No Prep Time, No Problem!

Neither of those tools will take the PCGen files I already have as input.

As a lazy game master, I am looking for such a tool. I have not seen it yet.
Has anyone else seen something like this?

Thanks for your time,
/Ben/Bash

IronWolf

blank
I am not familiar with one that would take PC Gen files as input. I suspect most would work of the average party level and generate from there - similar to the links you posted.

Are you wanting the generator to read your PC Gen files and then determine in a more customized way what might be an appropriate challenge to the party based on gear and feats as opposed to the APL of the party?

benbash

First Post
Yes, I am looking for a tool that would build an appropriate challenge to the party based on the party's gear, spell selection, and feats. There would (ideally) also be some constraints set by the gamemaster: total value of all gear from the opponents would be one constraint.

One angle on this is that the tool could identify that no character in the party had (for example) flight... so opponents attacking from the air would be a "Difficult" challenge. A sorcerer with fire spells would have a harder time in an aquatic encounter, and so on.

Another angle: that tool could generate three or four or ten sets of opponents (from one set of PC Gen files) and the gamemaster could pick whatever is closest to his goal. Dragon, group of NPCs, group of undead, single vampire wizard with bodyguard...

A third angle: "let the computer do all the stat calculation" ;) the way that PCGen calculates the total gold piece value of all the gear. So if the gamemaster wanted to ensure the PCs did not earn more than 10,000 gold after the encounter, the tool would calculate that most of the opponents would have scrolls (or other one-shot gear items) that would buff the opponents in a way to match the abilities in the PCGen files, and these scrolls would be used in the combat.

The "wealth" and "Magic Damper" settings at
Birched's NPC Generator at Hailscape.com are closer to what I am thinking of WRT constraints on the results. But I still have to go to that site and select options :) and that site is not built for Pathfinder. As a lazy gamemaster, I know that my players have already selected options. I'd like to find a tool that would be able to build from their options.

Thanks for your time,
/Ben/Bash

Psychotic Jim

First Post
I don't think anything like what you're looking for exists.

There are a few programs that can generate treasure based on a minimum and maximum gp value, if you'd like that:
Pathfinder

Combat Manager (Combat Manager) can import characters from pcgen if you want to track combat using it as a tool, and it has a npc/monster database from most of the monsters from the official pathfinder books. This database is searchable by type and CR, and can calculate group CRs based on the monsters you choose. But it doesn't have any random encounter abilities. It has a random horde generator by CR, but again doesn't match it to npcs or anything like you're looking for.

benbash

First Post
Thanks for your replies. I am also beginning to think that what I am looking for does not exist.

I also took a look at the Encounter tab tool that comes with GMGen which is included in PCGen:
Acknowledgments

This is a nice feature to have, but it still doesn't do what I'm looking for.
I tried building an encounter for a Ranger12, Cleric8 and Ftr8.
a) GMGen provided a list of all monsters at the start of the encounter generation process (rather than excluding weaklings like the Tiny Monstrous Centipede). The PCgen files have already provided an average party level. The tool should constrain down to +/- 2 levels of the party level, or give an option to provide that constraint.

b) There's no option to include nor exclude the Ranger's favored enemy in the generated encounter. That's the kind of feature I seek. The encounter tool should be able to read what my friend has already chosen about his PC, and build off that.

c) Once GMGen had selected three stone golems, it did what the documentation says: """GMGen will then create blank character entities in PCGen. You can then alter the possessions levels, skills, feats, equipment etc. as normal in PCGen. """
This meant I had to spend time clicking "OK" for 14 HD times each stone golem. I'm looking for a tool that won't ask me to do more work selecting hit points, feats, gear...

Perhaps if I knew more about PCGen and GMGen I could get get this working.

What I'd really like is a constraint file format that could go with the party and be used by the tool. "Limit encounters to CR 10 - 14 in arctic conditions with total gear under 10,000 gp. The party is weak on acid defenses so throw in an acid attack by some magic item just for kicks." The file format would be well documented by the tool vendor, and very flexible.
I think that would be useful to many gamemasters.

I will also look on the GMGen and Paizo forums, and post back back here if I find anything.

Thanks for your time,
/Ben/Bash

Remove ads