Doctor Who Season 6 (SPOILERS :p)

horacethegrey

First Post
Just watched the first episode. And all I have to say is, HOLY S**T!!!!

Season 6 Episode 1: The Impossible Astronaut

The "Future" Doctor's death - I was certainly not expecting that! Quite a gut punch for a season opener! How he escapes from this I'd definitely like to see. Steven Moffat has quite the task ahead of him.

Amy, Rory and River - The fact that the three companions now have future knowledge of what happens to the Doctor is an intriguing plot point. How will it affect their relationship with him? Karen, Arthur, and Alex play up their characters paranoia and fear quite well.

Canton Everett Delaware III - Whoa. A new companion too! And an American to boot! And not just any American, a former G Man to boot! Mark Sheppard brings a nice new dynamic to the TARDIS crew. Hope he stays on for more after this 2 parter.

The Silence - And here come the new monsters! So what's the cat- OH CRAP.... :eek: Monsters we forget the moment we lose sight of them? Thanks for the nightmares Mr. Moffat!

DISLIKES:

The Prologue - A bit silly, even by Doctor Who standards.

Crothian

First Post
What did you find silly in the prologue? I found the episode very entertaining and it really makes me not want to wait a week.

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
So that FBI agent is really going to be a new companion?

I'm not so sure.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the premiere.

And I hope they show River's first meeting with the doctor and reveal who the man she killed really is.

The primary suspicion is of course, the Doctor, but it's not necessarily him. It may be somebody else. Because the Doctor himself is something of a criminal and I don't see how his death would really warrant such incarceration.

And quite frankly, that prison needs much better security if she keeps escaping.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
If by the prologue you mean the Amy's voiceover narration before the titles, then I agree, I hate them. They're horrible, go away!

That said, I think that the show's making a pitched effort to attract new viewers. I don't know how it is elsewhere, but there are Dr. Who posters all over the subways here in Chicago. The pre-title narration is probably an attempt to bring along new viewers. Here's hoping them dump it after a few episodes.

talwynor

First Post
There is absolutely an effort to bring in new viewers....especially stateside with the setting, The narration and the timing of the broadcasts without the usual delay bringing it to the US. As far as the episode went, I was not a fan of the first ten minutes as it seemed to rely on gimics and simple gags too much. The big event with the docteor didn't have much emotional impact given they clearly aren't going anywhere with it having it happen in the series premier. That being said, the show really picked up for me after that and I love the dialog and chemistry between the characters. While her appearance in the library is hard to top, I'm a big fan of River Song.

Herschel

Adventurer
Yeah, Alex Kingston in the credits makes me want to see an episode just that much more. I did enjoy the for (pre?)-shadowing of the library episodes. There were some great character moments between River, Rory and Amy.

As for the big splash early the SO turned to me and said "Wait, what? Is Matt Smith not doing the show any more?" I bit my lip and didn't remind her that his current contract runs through next season.

It also does lend more fuel to the "Did River kill the Doctor" fire. Which makes me believe more and more it's not him she offs. There's also more mystery going on as the 906-year-old doctor (which is still a bit off unless Moffat decided it was time to have the doctor age some anyway. He was 903 for what, five seasons?) knows something is up and is debating trying to change/run/hide from it but still has to go forward.

Adding Sterling/Badger/Romo to the cast for the series openers was also a nice move. Mark Sheppard is easily recognized for his other roles and plays a lot of similar characters but he does a nice job nonetheless.

My biggest complaint was information prior about how the season was going to open Saturday/Sunday so we wouldn't have to wait a week for the finale. Then I looked it up yesterday and saw April 30th as air date for episode 2.

MarkB

Legend
I'm going to be interested to see where they take the monsters from this one, but so far, they're an effective variant on the "don't look away" theme that Moffatt started with the Weeping Angels.

If anything, they're even scarier as a concept. Yes, a Weeping Angel can move incredibly fast if you're not looking at it - but these ones could be doing anything behind your back and you'd literally never know it. There could be one in the room with you right now.

I wonder if their ability will turn out to be a curse as much as a gift - maybe it's something they can't turn off. Maybe they can never effectively communicate with anyone on a meaningful level, because they're forgotten the moment they leave.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases