D&D 4th Edition Adventure: A Tale of Two Domains (DM:Luinnar, Judge:renau1g) - Page 2





+ Log in or register to post
Page 2 of 95 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 949
  1. #11
    GM: Welcome to the adventure covaithe!


    Quote Originally Posted by covaithe View Post
    "That's quite th' tale, cap'n," he says, when the doctor is finished. "Let me see if I be understandin' ye aright. You want us t'take yer ship, which ye think'll take us t'this Kartakass, and stop some dire, evil happenin's from takin' place. Only, ye don't know what those evil things might be, nor when they'll be startin', nor what we might be doin' t'go about stoppin' em. All ye do know is this here bit o' doggerel about night an' death an' evil an' such."
    van Richten gives a soft chuckle. It was this same intuition that sent these people, he says gesturing to group to the island in the first place. Ravenloft has a way of making things work out in ways you might not expect. If the Dark Powers did not want them in the demiplane in the first place, let alone in Souragne, their boat would have been sunk in an instant.

    He sighs. I know there is a lot of "ifs", but I will have to ask you to trust me. I have spent the better part of eight decades in that place after all he says smiling.

    GM: Anyone have any last minute shopping (remember the 500gp) or questions?
    My PBP characters: http://tinyurl.com/yy9skz2

 

  • #12
    OOC: I'm good to go. Debating some Acrobat boots, but I think I'm going to save up.

  • #13
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    Dekana's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Nagoya, Japan
    Posts
    2,070
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Dekana
    Quote Originally Posted by Luinnar View Post
    "Ravenloft has a way of making things work out in ways you might not expect. If the Dark Powers did not want them in the demiplane in the first place, let alone in Souragne, their boat would have been sunk in an instant.
    Jax sighs heavily. "...That does not make me confident. But I can swim, so it's okay!"

    OOC: No more shopping for me.
    close the world, .txEn eht nepo

  • #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    ."But I can swim, so it's okay!"
    "I haven't had a swim since I was a boy - I'd rather not have my memory of swimming technique tested..."

    OOC: Dorn is all shopped-out and good-to-go!

  • #15
    After gathering some last minute supplies in town, the party makes their way to the docks to find the same boat they used in the last trip to Ravenloft. They cast off and find the sea calm and a light breeze blowing in the direction of the island. Soon once again they are caught in the currents leading to the island.

    As you approach the island the boat is enveloped by thick mist. You can't help but shudder as it touches your skin, wondering if the Dark Powers are watching you at this very moment.

    Instead of being greeted by crashing waves, this time the waters remain calm. Almost too calm, as the boat seems to be stuck in the eerie mist, not making any headway. The wind has stopped blowing and a deathly silence permeates the surrounding area. Sir ExSixTen and Quagmire pull out the oars and start to paddle, trying to head in the right direction.

    The party paddles for what seems like hours, each taking it in turn. Suddenly, the mist dissipates. The groups finds themselves rowing in a small river surrounded by forests and rugged foothills.

    After rowing for another half hour, they spot a road. Getting out and securing the boat the best they can, they spot a sign. "Harmonia 5-Miles" it reads, pointing southwards. Remembering Richten's words, the party remembers that Harmonia is one of the towns in Kartakass. The old man was right, somehow they made it!

    This thought brightens everyone's mood, and they set off in the town's direction. They walk through thick forests and up and down tall hills. Unlike their previous adventure, the land does not have an ominous and dark feeling to it. One would expect dark eyes in the trees or strange noises in the underbrush; but besides the chirping of birds and the noise of the scurrying of rabbits, everything seems peaceful.

    Soon they spot in distance the town of Harmonia. Getting closer they also see an unusual construction set in the middle of the Minstrel River (which is flowing before the town). At first glance, it appears to be nothing more than a solid square tower of moss-covered stone set atop a somewhat larger rock base. The top of the tower is decorated with ornate carvings of gargoyles and monsters, many of them so lifelike that it seems they have but to wait for the sunset to spring to life and terrorize the countryside.

    A closer look, however, shows that there is a tunnel running through the center of the tower that would easily accommodate the largest of wagons. Further, a pair of worn, but sturdy, wooden bridges run from both sides of the river to the entrances to this tunnel. At several points along their lengths, ring pins have been set into the bridges. Well oiled chains stretch from these points to vanish into the mouths of the gargoyles atop of the tower.

    As you watch, a number of persons walk across the bridge, enter the tunnel, and exit from the far side of the tower to complete their passage over the river. They seem to be delayed for some time, perhaps a minute, within the dark tunnel before they exit, but there is no sign of what happens within. A secondary tunnel runs through the rock base, but it's purpose cannot be readily guessed as only about 2' of it's height is above the water line.

    The party decides to enter the tunnel and finds the inside illuminated by the light of torches. In the middle of the tunnel they are greeted by a gate, protected by several armed guards.

    Hail and well met fair travelers! says the guard in a melodious voice. His accent is so thick it makes him difficult to understand. Welcome to Harmonia! All travelers are required to pay a fifty gold charge to use the bridge, to help pay for its upkeep. That is unless they know The Pledge of Harmonia, then they prove themselves to be friends of the town! Do you know the pledge, honored guests? they guard asks.
    Last edited by Luinnar; Saturday, 7th May, 2011 at 06:36 AM.
    My PBP characters: http://tinyurl.com/yy9skz2

  • #16
    Sir Exsixten steps forward and emits a metallic screech. A moment later any angry squirrel crawls out of a chink in Sir Exsixten's armor with a mouthful of wiring, chittering angrily at Sir Exsixten as he scampers away.

    1.024K PARDONS GOOD SIRS, HAD TO CLEAR MY THROAT. WE OF COURSE KNOW THE PLEDGE!

    WE... UH... PLEDGE AMBIVALENCE TO SIR HARMONIA AND HIS GARGOYLES, FOR WE, LIKE THE HELICAL SPIRAL OF GENETIC MATERIAL FORM CHAINS OF UNCERTAINTY, BINDING OUR PEOPLES TOGETHER LIKE LACE. AMEN.
    Sir Exsixten makes the sign of the cross, then a pentagram, then puts up devil horns, plays a brief game of rock paper scissors with himself and then holds his hand with a conspiratorial *wink* for the guard to give him a high five.

    As he waits in vain for the completion to the "secret entrance ritual", Sir Exsixten leans back towards the group and says in a "whisper": CITIZENS, PLAY ALONG, I THINK THEY'RE BUYING IT!

    <INPUT PARSED, VERBAL PECUNIARY EXTRACTION ATTEMPT RECOGNIZED! SOLUTION SOLUTION SETTLING... MIX IN METAPHORS... FILTER OUT FALSITY... RESOLVE...>

    AHAH, A FIFTY GOLD DONATION? SIR EXSIXTEN CAN HANDLE THAT!


    With a wrenching motion that sends everyone nearby stepping quickly out of the way Sir Exsixten draws his axe and begins tossing gold coins into the air in almost entirely fruitless attempts to cut coins apart in mid-air.

    CITIZENS, THEY REQUEST FIFTY GOLD, BUT THEY DO NOT SPECIFY THE MASS NOR DIMENSIONS OF SAID METAL. A coin goes flying down the tunnel as Sir Exsixten smacks it. QUICKLY, CITIZENS, REPEATEDLY BIFURCATE YOUR SYMBOLIC WEALTH UNITS THAT WE MIGHT PRODUCE THEIR ARBITRARY ENTRANCE QUOTA AND ASCEND TO THE RAVEN LOFTS.
    Last edited by Iron Sky; Saturday, 7th May, 2011 at 08:11 AM.

  • #17
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    covaithe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,971
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore covaithe
    Quagmire boggles a little at Sir Exsixten's speech, though having become acquainted with the eccentric warrior over the course of the voyage, he is less taken aback than he might otherwise have been. "I liked yer first answer better, mate," he says mildly.
    My games

    Check out Living 4th Edition, a community-run 4e D&D living world open to all. Now open for character and adventure submissions!

  • #18
    Dorn stretches out his arms with a half-apologetic, half-exasperated facial expression.

    "We are on important business which may be beneficial to all who live in this land. We would be ever so grateful if you would waive the traditional fee." (Diplomacy 28)
    Last edited by nerdytenor; Saturday, 7th May, 2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: fix embarrassing spelling error

  • #19
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    Dekana's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Nagoya, Japan
    Posts
    2,070
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Dekana
    "I'm not paying these trolls!" Jax says accusingly. He clutches his coinpurse with one hand and his sheathed dagger with the other. His grip on the money is stronger.
    close the world, .txEn eht nepo

  • #20
    Andras nods at Dorn's words, "Indeed, perhaps our actions will prove us friends of Harmonia than any recitation or fee could."

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 2 of 95 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. [Adventure] Rhapsody Part 2 (Judge: renau1g)
      By KarinsDad in forum Living Eberron
      Replies: 616
      Last Post: Thursday, 17th January, 2013, 02:27 AM
    2. Replies: 236
      Last Post: Wednesday, 9th January, 2013, 06:32 PM
    3. Adventure: Delivery of Death (DM: Luinnar, Judge: renau1g)
      By Luinnar in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 730
      Last Post: Sunday, 1st May, 2011, 08:23 AM
    4. [Adventure] A scholar in need (DM:Someone, Judge: Renau1g)
      By Someone in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 161
      Last Post: Monday, 15th November, 2010, 03:05 PM
    5. [Adventure] The Second Day of Mourning (Judge: renau1g)
      By Kalidrev in forum Living Eberron
      Replies: 1003
      Last Post: Thursday, 4th March, 2010, 05:54 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •