Gamma World to Return -- What Else Should Come Back?

Aarrrgghhh!!! Buzz, you're the culprit! I went and found the book, but I put it back on the shelf thinking I could pick it up later in the day. Less than an hour later, it was gone!

I've been trying for quite a while to nail a copy of Dark*Matter. Luckily, the guys there at the store said they order from some unusual distributors that most other stores don't use, and they didn't think it would be a problem to order me another copy of it at least.

starwolf

First Post
Re: What else should come back

Silver Moon said:

The key to Boot Hill isn't the system but the setting. I recently ran a Boot Hill/AD&D Hybrid campaign. I had each player roll up characters for a modified Boot Hill setting, but using the AD&D rules (including the various races, classes & deities). I treated all characters as 2nd level, 0 experience, and played close to AD&D, just using the Boot Hill tables for prices of things, fist fights and wound location. I also had a copy of an original 1982 TSR Boot Hill module for more detail of the town the characters were in. I planned this as a one night game, but the players all enjoyed it, so it actually ran for five nights.

The current campaign (except for the most recent game) is posted on the Story Hour as "Promise City, Arizona". Other detail about the hybrid system, and history of this world (as it includes the AD&D races, classes & deities) is on the "Plots & Places" message board as "Boot Hill/AD&D Hybrid".

For those of yoou looking for Boot Hill I would highly recommend you check out Sidewinder from Citizen Games. The Wild West without the hoodoo of Deadlands.......and a darn deadly system.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Comedic Games?

I know my vote is for D20 Paranoia.

Do any of you know of any comedy games being printed under the D20 license? For all the variety of settings being published now, I still haven't seen one strictly comical.

Darrell

First Post
Another vote for Dark*Matter here.

Mystara, too, though I wouldn't mind seeing it whittled down to a 'small-scale' setting featuring only a few countries--say, Karameikos, Darokin, Alfheim (giving it back to the elves and getting rid of the 'pseudo-drow' Shadow Elves) and Glantri--and released as a 'stand-alone' product.

I wouldn't mind seeing Birthright redone, but don't really know if I would buy it. I hated the 'bloodline ability' stuff, and was never all that turned on by the whole 'player character nations' aspect; but I loved the twists on race relations (particularly with the dwarves being the race that got along fairly well with everyone and elves and humans being at each other's throats), the fact that many 'Monster Manual critters' were unique beings, and that the continent was carved up into many small kingdoms instead of a few half-continent wide empires. Maybe Birthright could be re-done as a dual-product release--one book featuring the bare-bones setting, and another with info on bloodlines and rulership.

Regards,
Darrell King

River

First Post
YOU ARE ALL CRAZY!!!!!!

Not a single vote for PARANOIA?

PARANOIA as a D20 game would ROCK.

Its quite possible the perfect d20 game, in that the rules were lame but the universe was incredible.

River

William Ronald

Explorer
Good choices, all. Some of the systems I am not all that familiar with. (Sometimes, trying to get my group to try a new game is difficult. We have seen good settings and good rules as well as real stinkers.)

River, someone voted for Paranoia two posts befor yours. Citizen, I think you must make an appointment to improve your observation skills. Failure to comply will result in Citizen River being labelled a traitor by the Computer.:D

EarthsShadow

First Post
I would buy all of the following settings, some of which are coming back:

Dragonlance, Dark Sun 3e, Mystara, Birthright, and maybe Planescape for the d&d settings because all are very cool in their own unique ways. I would love for DarkMatter to come back, I might have said that already but I can't remember. Star Frontiers was a cool game and setting. And I know its a brand new setting but Midnight is a must buy for the new ones coming out.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
EarthsShadow said:
some of which are coming back: Dragonlance, Dark Sun 3e, Mystara, Birthright, and maybe Planescape for the d&d settings because all are very cool in their own unique ways.

More specifically, Dragonlance 3E is in the works for a print release next fall from Sovereign Stone Press.

Dark Sun 3E is still being playtested with the beta rules they've developed. Anyone else who wants to playtest them and send their feedback is encouraged to do so, go to www.athas.org When all the data has been compiled, the campaign will be released as a free PDF for download.

Birthright 3E is currently in development, and expected to be released as a free PDF in coming months when its been completed. More details are available at www.birthright.net

Last edited:

jdavis

First Post
Star Frontiers. That was a great game.

I've got a big stack of Mekton books in my closet, I think they might still be in business out there somewhere though.

EarthsShadow

First Post
Alzrius said:

More specifically, Dragonlance 3E is in the works for a print release next fall from Sovereign Stone Press.

Dark Sun 3E is still being playtested with the beta rules they've developed. Anyone else who wants to playtest them and send their feedback is encouraged to do so, go to www.athas.org When all the data has been compiled, the campaign will be released as a free PDF for download.

Birthright 3E is currently in development, and expected to be released as a free PDF in coming months when its been completed. More details are available at www.birthright.net

The dragonlance 3e I did know about, but I did not know about Dark Sun and Birthright. thank you for the information and the links. I'm going to check them out.

Remove ads