[OOC] The Forges of the Mountain King- 1st Level Dwarf PCs [Full]

Walking Dad

First Post
Sorry, every 2-3 weeks we do a family trip to the country-side (father in law) and I have only a spotty connection there. Will try to post a background and IC posts despite of this. Wish me luck!

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
As a way of an intro (to me)-

I am a (young) 40-something year old Higher Education Lecturer, I mostly teach Media related subjects, from this semester- Documentary Making, Electronic Game Design (particularly Narrative), Writing for the Screen, Writing for the Radio, Writing for... etc.

My Mrs. allows me to spend far too much of my time shut away in a cramped room surrounded by books and films and... media, a lot of the former are D&D related.

I play D&D every week- Ressurectah is part of a game I DM via Maptools and Skype, we just played the 25th session (of this campaign) last Thursday. The previous campaign ran for 70+ sessions and included Ripjames. I will always be busy on Thursday evenings.

Hairychin is my younger brother.

My brother and his friends introduced me to D&D, I was killed by a Kobold on the way to my first dungeon- my brother and his friends laughed a lot about this. I became a DM the same day. I get to do a lot of laughing as a DM.

My job is sometimes dull (paperwork), sometime enlightening (the students), and more often than not the thing I do between being with the Mrs. and playing D&D.

I do not have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the rules- I do have DDI and the compendium however.

I heart D&D, a lot.

That's enough of me.

Cheers Goonalan.

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
And here are some rules in general, I apprecite that many or some of you have played this format before but I have not, and I know others are new to it- those that are experts feel free to add to my suggestions.

First off, in a perfect world start every one of your entries by writing your PCs name in the top left hand corner, before you write up your entry- it just makes it easier for me to spot.

Add text for your actions (in character), with a few lines of dialogue- as you have been doing and indicate in the text where any dice rolls go. Example-

Terry looks in to the forlorn chamber (Perception Check), and if he spots nothing moves cautiously in (Stealth Check).

Then just add the dice rolls at the bottom.

Anything OOC then use the OOC tab, easy- I know you've been doing this already, except putting your PCs name in the corner.

Next update- Combat.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Combat in a PBP can take a long time, and worse still if you don't keep up to date with what's going on players can quickly find themselves unsure of what powers they have used, or how many hit points they have left.

Therefore you need a character sheet in play, here are yours-

Oh and only peek at the one with your PCs name on.

[sblock=Leonard D Apricot]
Leonard D Apricot
Played by Hairychin
Dwarf Fighter- Weaponmaster Level 1

Perception: 11 Insight: 11 Low-light Vision

AC 18 Fortitude 18 Reflex 13 Will 12
Initiative: +0 Speed: 5
Str 20 Con 14 Dex 10 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 10

Hit Points: 29 / 29 Bloodied: 14
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Healing Surge: 7 Surges per day: 11 / 11

Resist:
Saving Throw: +5 vs Poison

Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1 (Minor Action)

Languages: Common, Dwarven.

Trained Skills: Athletics +7, Endurance +6, Intimidate +5.
Other Skills: Acrobatics -3, Arcana 0, Bluff 0, Diplomacy 0, Dungeoneering +5, Heal +1, History 0, Insight +1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion 0, Stealth -3, Streetwise 0, Thievery -3.

Feats: Improved Defences.

Traits:
Stand Your Ground- You move 1 less square with Forced Movement, and get an Immediate Saving Throw to avoid being knocked Prone.
Combat Superiority- Your Opportunity Attacks (including with Combat Challenge) gain Wis bonus (+1) To Hit and stop movement (not Shift though).

At-Will Powers: Standard Actions
Melee Basic Attack (Battleaxe): +8 vs AC 1d10+5 damage.
Ranged Basic Attack (Throwing Hammer): Range 5/10 +8 vs AC 1d6+5 damage.
Cleave (Battleaxe): +8 vs AC 1d10+5 damage, and a different adjacent enemy takes Str (5) damage.
Shield Feint (Battleaxe & Shield): +8 vs AC 1d10+5 damage, and +3 To Hit on next attack roll against same creature before end of next turn.

At-Will Powers: Free Actions
Combat Challenge- you Mark all you attack; Marked are -2 To Hit others; if Move or Attack other you make attack with Combat Superiority. Free Action.

Encounter Powers: Standard Actions
Shield Bash (Battleaxe & Shield): +8 vs Reflex 1d10+6 damage (Wis bonus added to damage), and you Push target 1 square and knock it Prone. Can be used as a Charge attack.

Encounter Powers: Minor Actions
Second Wind: Healing Surge & +2 to all Defences until end of next turn. Minor Action.

Daily Powers: Standard Actions
Shove & Slap (Battleaxe & Shield): +9 vs Fortitude 2d10+5 damage, and you Push target 2 squares (including Wis bonus) and can Shift 1 in to vacated square. Miss: Half damage. Then make a Secondary Attack on one creature other than the Primary target: +9 vs Fortitude 5 damage, and the target is Dazed (save ends).

Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Cinara Wastewater]
Cinara Wastewater
Played by Larryfinnjr
Dwarf Warpriest Level 1

Perception: 14 Insight: 19 Low-light Vision

AC 18 Fortitude 14 Reflex 13 Will 15
Initiative: +1 Speed: 5
Str 10 Con 17 Dex 13 Int 10 Wis 19 Cha 8

Hit Points: 29 / 29 Bloodied: 14
Healing Surge: 7 Surges per day: 10 / 10

Resist: Acid/Cold/Fire/Lightning 2.
Saving Throw: +5 vs Poison, +2 vs Ongoing damage.

Trained Skills: Heal +9, History +7, Insight +9, Religion +5.
Other Skills: Acrobatics -2, Arcana 0, Athletics -3, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +2, Intimidate -1, Nature +4, Perception +4, Stealth -2, Streetwise -1, Thievery -2.

Feats: Forgeborn Heritage.

Traits:
Stand Your Ground- You move 1 less square with Forced Movement, and get an Immediate Saving Throw to avoid being knocked Prone.
Earth Domain- All allies within 5 gain +2 to Saves vs Ongoing damage. Subject of Healing Word takes half-damage from next attack (before end of your next turn).

At-Will Powers: Standard Actions
Melee Basic Attack (Warhammer): +2 vs AC 1d10 damage.
Ranged Basic Attack (Throwing Hammer): Range 5/10 +2 vs AC 1d6 damage.
Burden of Earth (Warhammer): +6 vs AC 1d10+4 damage, and Pushed 1 square. Regardless of hit or not next attack against target by you or ally is at +1 To Hit, before end of your next turn.
Earth's Endurance (Warhammer): +6 vs AC 1d10+4 damage. Regardless of hit or not you or ally within 5 squares gains +2 to AC until the end of your next turn.

Encounter Powers: Standard Actions
Smite Undead (Warhammer): +6 vs Will 2d10+4 Radiant damage and you Push the target 6 squares (including Con bonus) and the creature is Immobilised until the end of your next turn. Miss: Half damage. This is a Channel Divinity Power- can only use 1/Encounter.
Earthen Hail (Warhammer): +6 vs Fortitude 1d10+4 damage and enemies in Blast 3 (including target) take 3 (Con bonus) damage. Regardless of hit or not you and all allies within 3 squares gain +2 to AC & Fortitude until the end of your next turn.

Encounter Powers: Minor Actions
Healing Word: One target in Close Burst 5. Use once/Round but twice/Encounter. Target spends a Healing Surge and Heals an additional 1d6 Hit Points. Earth Domain the target takes half damage from next attack before the end of your next turn. Minor Action.
Second Wind: Healing Surge & +2 to all Defences until end of next turn. Minor Action.
Stone Speak: You make a Perception check with a +5 bonus to detect secret doors, hidden objects or creatures within 10 squares. Minor Action.

Encounter Powers: Free Actions
Elemental Legacy: You hit with an attack. Your attack deals an extra 3 Acid, Cold, Fire or Lightning damage. Free Action.
Stone's Resolve: You or one ally in Close Burst 2. Target gains Resist 5 All until the end of your next turn. This is a Channel Divinity Power- you can only use 1/Encounter. Free Action.

Daily Powers: Standard Actions
Nimbus of Holy Light (Warhammer): Enemies in Close Burst 1 +6 vs Will 1d10+4 Radiant damage. Regardless of hit or not each ally within 2 squares gains +2 to all Defences until the end of the Encounter.

Conditions:

[/sblock]

[sblock=Thorgrim Wildaxe]
Thorgrim Wildaxe
Played by Walking Dad
Dwarf Ranger Level 1

Perception: 17 Insight: 12 Low-light Vision

AC 14 Fortitude 15 Reflex 12 Will 12
Initiative: +1 Speed: 5
Str 18 Con 16 Dex 13 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8

Hit Points: 33 / 33 Bloodied: 16
Healing Surge: 8 Surges per day: 9 / 9

Resist:
Saving Throw: +5 vs Poison.

Trained Skills: Athletics +8, Dungeoneering +9, Endurance +9, Heal +7, Perception +7.
Other Skills: Acrobatics 0, Arcana 0, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, History +0, Insight +2, Intimidate -1, Nature +2, Religion +0, Stealth 0, Streetwise -1, Thievery 0.

Feats: Toughness, Weapon Prof (Waraxe).

Traits:
Prime Shot- +1 To Hit if closest to enemy with Ranged attack.

At-Will Powers: Standard Actions.
Melee Basic Attack (Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12+4 damage.
Ranged Basic Attack (None):
Maraunder's Rush (Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12+6 damage (Wis bonus included in damage). Can use in place of Charge attack.
Twin Strike (Waraxe & Waraxe) +6 vs AC 1d12 damage & +6 vs AC 1d12 damage.

At-Will Powers: Minor Actions.
Hunter's Quarry: You designate the nearest enemy as your Quarry and deal an extra 1d6 damage against the creature. The Quarry remains active until the creature is killed or you designate a different enemy as Quarry. Minor Action.

Encounter Powers: Minor Actions.
Off-Hand Strike (Waraxe & Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12+4 damage. Minor Action.

Daily Powers: Standard Actions.
Sudden Strike (Waraxe & Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12 damage. Regardless of hit or not Shift 1 square and make a secondary attack against the same target. +6 vs AC 2d12+4 damage, and the target is Weakened until the end of your next Round.

Conditions:

[/sblock]

[sblock=Krogan Thundergut]
Krogan Thundergut
Played by Ressurectah
Dwarf Barbarian Level 1

Perception: 10 Insight: 10 Low-light Vision

AC 17 Fortitude 16 Reflex 14 Will 10
Initiative: +3 Speed: 5
Str 19 Con 14 Dex 16 Int 8 Wis 10 Cha 8

Hit Points: 34 / 34 Bloodied: 17
Healing Surge: 8 Surges per day: 10 / 10

Resist:

Trained Skills: Acrobatics +7, Athletics +8, Endurance +8.
Other Skills: Arcana -1, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +2, Heal 0, History -1, Insight 0, Intimidate -1, Nature 0, Perception 0, Religion -1, Stealth +2, Streetwise -1, Thievery +2.

Feats: Versatile Expertise (Axe & Heavy Blade).

Traits:
Barbarian Agility- +1 to AC & Reflex when not wearing Heavy Armour/tier.
Rageblood Vigour- Drop enemy to 0 HP to gain 2 (Con bonus) Temporary Hit Points.
Rampage- On Critical Hit grants free Basic Melee Attack. Once/Round. Must be using Barbarian Attack Power.

Melee Basic Attack (Greataxe): +7 vs AC 1d12+4 damage. High Crit.
Ranged Basic Attack (None):
Howling Strike (Greataxe): +7 vs AC 1d12+1d6+4 damage. High Crit. Can use this power in place of a Charge attack, if Raging can Charge an extra 2 squares with this power.
Pressing Strike (Greataxe): You Shift 2 squares and can Shift through enemies. +7 vs AC 1d12+4 damage, and the target is Pushed 1 square. High Crit. If Raging this attack does an extra 1d6 damage.

Encounter Powers: Standard Actions.
Desperate Fury (Greataxe): +7 vs AC 2d12+6 damage (Con bonus included in damage). Miss: You can take 5 damage to re-roll the attack, if the re-roll misses you take an additional 5 damage. High Crit.

Encounter Powers: Free Actions.
Swift Charge: You reduce an enemy to 0 HP. You Charge an enemy. Free Action.

Swift Panther Rage (Greataxe): +7 vs AC 3d12+4 damage. Miss: Half damage. Regardless of hit or not you enter the Rage of the Swift Panther- you gain +2 to Speed and can Shift 2 squares as a Move Action. See other effects on attacks above. High Crit.

Conditions:

[/sblock]

[sblock=Kazzagin]
Kazzagin
Played by Pinotage
Dwarf Paladin of Pelor Level 1

Perception: 11 Insight: 16 Low-light Vision

AC 20 Fortitude 15 Reflex 13 Will 13
Initiative: 0 Speed: 5
Str 18 Con 16 Dex 10 Int 8 Wis 13 Cha 14

Hit Points: 31 / 31 Bloodied: 15
Healing Surge: 7 Surges per day: 13 / 13

Resist:

Trained Skills: Heal +6, Insight +6, Intimidate +7, Religion +4.
Other Skills: Acrobatics -4, Arcana -1, Athletics 0, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +1, History -1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Stealth -4, Streetwise +2, Thievery -4.

Feats: Weapon Expertise (Axe).

Traits:

Melee Basic Attack (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 damage.
Ranged Basic Attack (Hand Axe): Range 5/10 +7 vs AC 1d6+4 damage.
Holy Strike (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 Radiant damage. If you marked the target it takes an 1 (Wis Bonus) damage.
Valiant Strike (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 damage. +1 To Hit per enemy adjacent to you.

At-Will Powers: Minor Actions.
Divine Challenge: One target in Close Burst 5. The target is Marked by you. The target must include you in any attack it makes, if it fails to do so it takes 5 (3 + Cha Bonus) Radiant damage. The mark lasts until you mark a different creature, or if you do not attack the target or do not end your turn adjacent to the target. You can only use this power once/Turn. Minor Action.
Lay on Hands: You can use this power 1/day (Wis Bonus). You spend a Healing Surge but regain no Hit Points, one ally you touch regains Hit Points as if they had spent a Healing Surge. Minor Action.

Encounter Powers: Standard Actions.
Radiant Smite (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 2d10+5 Radiant damage (including Wis Bonus to damage).

Divine Mettle: One creature in Close Burst 10 makes a Save with a +2 (Cha Bonus) bonus. This is a Channel Divinity Power- you can only use one Channel Divinity Power per Encounter. Minor Action.
Divine Strength: You apply +4 (Str Bonus) to your next damage roll this turn. This is a Channel Divinity Power- you can only use one Channel Divinity Power per Encounter. Minor Action.

Paladin's Judgement (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 3d10+4 damage and one ally within 5 squares can spend a Healing Surge. Miss: One ally within 5 squares can spend an a Healing Surge.

Conditions:

[/sblock]

[sblock=Mardred]
Mardred
Played by Ripjames
Dwarf Thief Level 1

Perception: 18 Insight: 13 Low-light Vision

AC 15 Fortitude 11 Reflex 15 Will 13
Initiative: 3 Speed: 5
Str 8 Con 13 Dex 17 Int 11 Wis 16 Cha 13

Hit Points: 25 / 25 Bloodied: 12
Healing Surge: 6 Surges per day: 7 / 7

Resist:

Trained Skills: Acrobatics +8, Bluff +6, Perception +8, Stealth +8, Streetwise +6, Thievery +8.
Other Skills: Arcana 0, Athletics -1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +3, Heal +3, History 0, Insight +3, Intimidate +1, Nature +3, Religion 0.

Feats: Backstabber.

Traits:
First Strike- At the start of any Encounter you gain Combat Advantage over any foe that has not acted yet.
Weapon Finesse- Use Dex not Str for Basic Attacks, with +2 damage for Light Blades, Hand Crossbows, Shortbows & Slings

Melee Basic Attack (Dagger): +6 vs AC 1d4+5 damage.
Melee Basic Attack (Shortsword): +6 vs AC 1d6+5 damage.
Ranged Basic Attack (Dagger): Range 5/10 +6 vs AC 1d4+5 damage.
Ranged Basic Attack (Shortbow): Range 15/30 +5 vs AC 1d8+5 damage.

At-Will Powers: Move Actions.
Ambush Trick: You Move your Speed. You have Combat Advantage over all enemies within 5 squares of you who are not adjacent to one of their allies. Move Action.
Sneak's Trick: You Move up to 3 squares (Speed -2), and then can make a Stealth Check to remain or become Hidden, providing you have some form of cover or concealment. Move Action.

At-Will Powers: Free Actions.
Sneak Attack: Once per Turn, when you have Combat Advantage and hit with a Crossbow, Light Blade, Shortbow or Sling, you do an extra 2d8 damage. Free Action.

Encounter Powers: Free Actions.
Backstab: You make a Basic Attack (with a Weapon) against an enemy within 5 squares you have Combat Advantage against. You gain +3 To Hit and do an extra 1d6 damage. Free Action.

Conditions:

[/sblock]

I expect... if that's not too stern, I'd like for you to try to keep these as up-to-date as you, they obviously help me to work out what's going on and for you they provide an easy way for you remember what your powers do.

You need to copy and paste these out in to a Word Processing program and then copy them in- hidden as they are now in to your future turns, I don't mind if you don't do this every time- I do need them to be there when we get in to combat- not a big deal, keep it up to date and then copy and paste it in hidden away at the bottom of your replies.

How do you hide it away as I have- simple, although how to write it without having it happen, no spaces-

At the start of the text you wish to hide put

SquareBracketOpen
sblock=
inserttexthere
SquareBracketClose

The insert text here is obviously whatever you want to call the hing that is hidden away.

At the end of the text to be hidden put

SquareBracketOpen
/sblock
SquareBracketClose

And that should be it.

If a hidden text has someone else's name on it then it's not for you, if it has no name on it then please take a look.

Next time more about Combat.

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
In Combat.

I will tell you when it's happening, I'll provide a map- the map will have a grid, and lots of markers, if the map is not clear then you'll need to ask- I promise to annotate them and make them as clear as possible.

Combat starts with Initiative but to try to speed things up then when you roll your initiative then add what you are going to do in the first round- with appropriate rolls. If things go wrong, the guy you were going after is killed for example then I'll ask you to re-do, usually you can do this by going back to your post and editing it. If not then do another post.

I'll provide updates, keep track of things (except the stuff on your PC sheets) and the like in combat.

At the end of each round I will also write up, briefly, the action and unless no-one has moved re-do the map.

If it's easier I may just host the map somewhere- we'll see how it goes.

Your combat turns should look a lot like your other turns- name in the corner, description of what you are doing in character, with appropriate dice rolls attached.

However, you need to do the following OOC each turn-

OOC: Move: Grid ref start square to grid ref end square. If you're using a specific Move Action then copy and paste the text in here.
Standard: Copy and paste in the attack or action.
Minor: Copy and paste in the attack or action.
Free: Copy and paste in the attack or action.

If you want to hide what you are doing then use the sblock, as previous.

The other reason I provided you with your character sheets above is to makle this easy- as I say, just copy and paste, or if your not using a power then describe the action.

Example-

Move: Start a3 Shift to a4.
Standard: Melee Basic Attack (Dagger): +6 vs AC 1d4+5 damage with Combat Advantage & Sneak Attack & Backstab +11 vs AC 1d4+1d6+5 and extra 2d8 damage if hit.
Minor: NA
Free: Sneak Attack & Backstab.

That kind of thing, it seems like a lot of work but remember a PBP doesn't move very fast, I'd like to think we could do a turn in combat in three days...

Oh and remember when you're in combat to add on your character sheet, hidden away as per above.

Any problems so far?

Next time

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Lastly, a few house rules-

Everyone gets the same XP, everyone Levels up at the same time.

You can use more than one Action Point per encounter but you can only use one Action Point per turn.

I like stunts, a stunt is a new and exciting application of a power or skill to create a cool effect.

A stunt for example could be, I leap from the balcony catch hold of the chandelier swing across and leap at InsertNameofBadGuyHere with my Maul.

All you have to do is translate the above in to a set of actions, so for the above example-

Minor and Move Actions to leap from balcony, catch chandelier and swing with accompanying Acrobatics and Athletics checks.
Standard for leaping Charge attack.

It's up to you to figure out what Skills need to be used, and what Actions are being spent- if it sounds cool then I'll go with it.

If stunts are taking up too much time then I will re-write them, I don't want them to slow things down.

Obviously for the above example if you manage to get great rolls on two out of three then I may ignore any mess-up, cool play wins everytime. If you manage to get great rolls on all three checks then... well, I'll add some cool flavour of my own.

The point is the game in this format is written RP, cool things will happen- I will endeavour to make it so, your job is to try a few things yourself, say some silly stuff and have fun.

I can't think of any other House Rules for now, I'm sure there are a few more but... they escape me.

Anything in any of the above that you need fiurther explanation of, or anything you think I've missed then- don't hesitate to ask.

I think most of it is going to become clear when we get in to our first fracas, here's hoping everyone is still alive to see it.

Cheers Goonalan.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases