The Forges of the Mountain King Chapter 1- Bottom's Up!

Walking Dad

First Post
Thorgrim Wildaxe

Holding his... side, Thorgrim moves carefully to the others:
"'Dah we still want tah try out what happens when all statues sin' togethar?"

[sblock=OOC]

How does the map look right now? Same as before or did some ground cave in?

[sblock=sheet]
Thorgrim Wildaxe
Played by Walking Dad
Dwarf Ranger Level 1

Perception: 17 Insight: 12 Low-light Vision

AC 14 Fortitude 15 Reflex 12 Will 12
Initiative: +1 Speed: 5
Str 18 Con 16 Dex 13 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8

Hit Points: 33 / 33 Bloodied: 16
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Healing Surge Value: 8 Surges per day: 8 / 9
Milestones: 1

Resist:
Saving Throw: +5 vs Poison.

Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1 (Minor Action)

Languages: Common, Dwarven.

Trained Skills: Athletics +8, Dungeoneering +9, Endurance +9, Heal +7, Perception +7.
Other Skills: Acrobatics 0, Arcana 0, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, History +0, Insight +2, Intimidate -1, Nature +2, Religion +0, Stealth 0, Streetwise -1, Thievery 0.

Feats: Toughness, Dwarven Weapon Training.

Traits:
Stand Your Ground- You move 1 less square with Forced Movement, and get an Immediate Saving Throw to avoid being knocked Prone.
Prime Shot- +1 To Hit if closest to enemy with Ranged attack.

At-Will Powers: Standard Actions.
Melee Basic Attack (Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12+6 damage.
Ranged Basic Attack (None):
Maraunder's Rush (Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12+8 damage (Wis bonus included in damage). Can use in place of Charge attack.
Twin Strike (Waraxe & Waraxe) +6 vs AC 1d12+2 damage & +6 vs AC 1d12+2 damage.

At-Will Powers: Minor Actions.
Hunter's Quarry: You designate the nearest enemy as your Quarry and deal an extra 1d6 damage against the creature. The Quarry remains active until the creature is killed or you designate a different enemy as Quarry. Minor Action.

Encounter Powers: Minor Actions.
Off-Hand Strike (Waraxe & Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12+6 damage. Minor Action.
Second Wind: Healing Surge & +2 to all Defences until end of next turn. Minor Action.

Daily Powers: Standard Actions.
Sudden Strike (Waraxe & Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12+2 damage. Regardless of hit or not Shift 1 square and make a secondary attack against the same target. +6 vs AC 2d12+6 damage, and the target is Weakened until the end of your next Round.

Conditions:

[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Pinotage

Explorer
An expression of relief clouded Kazzagin's hairy face as Mardred emerged from the hole in one breathing piece. He immediatly bent down to uncoil the rope, easing the tension that would allow Mardred to breathe. He was about to say something when Mardred spluttered into an angry tantrum.

Kazzagin's face flushed for a moment behind his beard, but he quickly recovered. "It be your idea to be going down, though it need be not you that be the doing the going down. I be thinking you be best suited for it. Either way, I be thinking we have an agreement." It was for the best - he wasn't the kind to instruct others in his ways, and having Mardred as a squire put some strain on the use of the word 'squire'.

He turned to his companions as he stowed his rope and readied his shield and battleaxe again. "We be here to investigate this place, not to be finding trouble. The more trouble we be finding the less of us be surviving. I think we be leaving alone what can be left alone and finding that which be worth finding."

[SBLOCK=Kazzagin]Kazzagin
Played by Pinotage
Dwarf Paladin of Pelor Level 1 (XP: 99)

Perception: 11 Insight: 16 Low-light Vision

AC 20 Fortitude 15 Reflex 13 Will 13
Initiative: 0 Speed: 5
Str 18 Con 16 Dex 10 Int 8 Wis 13 Cha 14

Hit Points: 31 / 31 Bloodied: 15
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Healing Surge: 7 Surges per day: 13 / 13

Resist:
Saving Throw: +5 vs Poison.

Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1 (Minor Action)

Languages: Common, Dwarven.

Trained Skills: Heal +6, Insight +6, Intimidate +7, Religion +4.
Other Skills: Acrobatics -4, Arcana -1, Athletics 0, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +1, History -1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Stealth -4, Streetwise +2, Thievery -4.

Feats: Weapon Expertise (Axe).

Traits:
Stand Your Ground- You move 1 less square with Forced Movement, and get an Immediate Saving Throw to avoid being knocked Prone.

At-Will Powers: Standard Actions.
Melee Basic Attack (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 damage.
Ranged Basic Attack (Hand Axe): Range 5/10 +7 vs AC 1d6+4 damage.
Holy Strike (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 Radiant damage. If you marked the target it takes an 1 (Wis Bonus) damage.
Valiant Strike (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 damage. +1 To Hit per enemy adjacent to you.

At-Will Powers: Minor Actions.
Divine Challenge: One target in Close Burst 5. The target is Marked by you. The target must include you in any attack it makes, if it fails to do so it takes 5 (3 + Cha Bonus) Radiant damage. The mark lasts until you mark a different creature, or if you do not attack the target or do not end your turn adjacent to the target. You can only use this power once/Turn. Minor Action.
Lay on Hands: You can use this power 1/day (Wis Bonus). You spend a Healing Surge but regain no Hit Points, one ally you touch regains Hit Points as if they had spent a Healing Surge. Minor Action.

Encounter Powers: Standard Actions.
Radiant Smite (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 2d10+5 Radiant damage (including Wis Bonus to damage).

Encounter Powers: Minor Actions.
Divine Mettle: One creature in Close Burst 10 makes a Save with a +2 (Cha Bonus) bonus. This is a Channel Divinity Power- you can only use one Channel Divinity Power per Encounter. Minor Action.
Divine Strength: You apply +4 (Str Bonus) to your next damage roll this turn. This is a Channel Divinity Power- you can only use one Channel Divinity Power per Encounter. Minor Action.
Second Wind: Healing Surge & +2 to all Defences until end of next turn. Minor Action.

Daily Powers: Standard Actions.
Paladin's Judgement (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 3d10+4 damage and one ally within 5 squares can spend a Healing Surge. Miss: One ally within 5 squares can spend an a Healing Surge.

Conditions:

Equipment: Plate Armor, Heavy Shield, Battleaxe, Handaxe (4), Adventurer's Kit (Backpack, Bedroll, Flint and Steel, Belt Pouch, Trail Rations (10), Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Sunrods (2), Waterskin), Holy Symbol (Pelor), Torch (4), Oil (Pint) (6), Lantern, Climber's Kit, Trail Rations (10), Waterskin, Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Sunrods (4)

Gold: 39 gp 6 sp[/SBLOCK]

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Mardred

Mardred smiles behind his beard, "fair enuff Kazz- I've 'ad a look at the gate ahead, it jus' needs liftin' free- its only jus' 'anging on, jus' needs one of ya big fellers ta lift it free..."

"I don' mind 'avin a sneg (slang for 'look') ahead, see wot a kin see, any of you lot fancy a sneak wid me?"

OOC: The gate is indeed just hanging on, someone has just wedged it in place... Anyone else coming for a sneak? Or do you have other ideas?

hairychin

First Post
Len

"Aye 'tis time to move on, 'n' maybe not stickin' our noses down wheres we don't need t'" Len agrees with Kazz's 'stay out of trouble' policy.

"But if some of ya wanna move 'head all quiet like, Len be waitin' 'ere, as he's always been a bit clunky."

Len does however go to the gate and attempt (preferably with help) to lift it out of the way.

"If ya needs any help, just yell." he adds to any who are intending to head on 'all quiet like'.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Mardred

The gate is lifted away, Mardred winks at his compatriots and heads off.

OOC: Anyone who wants to join in the sneaking needs to state here and make a Stealth check, and any other checks they want to make.

Mardred shuffles forward, he's only a little ahead of Len in the door way to the chamber.

The back of the tower opens before a narrow, rocky defile that wends its way deeper into the depths. A stone bridge once spanned the ravine and the tumbling river (20 feet) below, but has long since fallen into ruin, leaving an intimidating gap some 7 feet across.

A pair of trails are cut into the walls of the ravine: The wider of the two climbs up the side of the ravine (the side you are on), while the smaller trail, across the fallen bridge, follows the ravine at the river’s bank.

The chill air is thick with cloying mist here, and in the distance you can hear a cascading waterfall.

Mardred continues to edge forward, tight to the cavern wall- silently, slowly- edging foward step-by-step...

He pushes on.

OOC: Just to note the trail on this side climbs, therefore the distance to the river below increases- see notes on the map. Also note that the edge of the trail on your side is crumbling- obviously unstable- Dwarves can spot this kind off thing.

Here follows a map or two as Mardred moves forward.

Do not post for a minute or two please.

Mardred takes his time, constantly looking around.

OOC: Making multiple Perception checks.

Mardred suddenly comes to a halt, takes a knee- breathing hard, not from exertion but from tension, he's spotted something, a pair of somethings, and now he doesn't want to be here.

New Maps-

http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/goonalan/Dwarf1/?g2_page=4

And on the next page.

A pair of Dwarves, ragged and wild looking, armed with crossbows. They look to be guards, and every now and then they look in his direction, although clearly he's not been spotted.

Mardred holds his breath, and then begins to back away- he's coming home.

OOC: Another Stealth check and one more Perception check for fun.

Safely Mardred shuffles his way slowly back to you, and tells his tale, adding-

"It's a long run, wiv no cover- dem crossbows are gunna make der mark if der any gud wid 'em."

OOC: Over to you guys, you can move up a good way without being spotted of course but once around the bend and it gets obvious, and as Mardred states- quite a distance you have to cover to get to them.

Last edited:

larryfinnjr

First Post
Cinara

Little time to reply right now... thinking range group head around southern ledge to square AH51 while melee group moves up to where Mardred stopped. Melee team bum rushes while range team hounds from afar? Just thinking out loud....

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Cinara

Little time to reply right now... thinking range group head around southern ledge to square AH51 while melee group moves up to where Mardred stopped. Melee team bum rushes while range team hounds from afar? Just thinking out loud....

OOC: Just a note to say the southern trail at AH51 is about 50+ feet below where the Dwarves are at on the northern trail- the Dwarves will be impossible to see unless they are at the edge of the northern trail.

To reiterate the southern trail follows the river, at river level. The northern trail climbs upwards- hence the drop increasing to the river, and therefore the southern trail.

The outer edge of the mapped area are cliffs- it goes stright up.

See my half-arsed diagram- northern side rises, southern side same level, obviously I've drawn it as a straight, the actual layout is a, well... as you see- with curves.

Diagram here-

http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/goonalan/Dwarf1/?g2_page=5

Cheers Goonalan

Last edited:

hairychin

First Post
Len

"Err, before I goes rushing in, shield to the 'fore 'n' all that, I just got a couple o' simple questions:

Why build the bridge in the first place?

And where does the other path go?

Maybe we should find some ways over there 'n' takes a look. Mayhaps there's 'nother way in. Whats d'ya thinks?"

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
"Err, before I goes rushing in, shield to the 'fore 'n' all that, I just got a couple o' simple questions:

Why build the bridge in the first place?

And where does the other path go?

Maybe we should find some ways over there 'n' takes a look. Mayhaps there's 'nother way in. Whats d'ya thinks?"

Mardred

Mardred thinks hard, "probs dey built da bridge to get to the water, dat path is on the same level..."

OOC: This is true if the original Tannheim wanted to get to the water for any reason then the other path is perfect for it, otherwise they'd be throwing a bucket over the edge to gather water, not impossible but not ideal. You'd have to have a long line if you were fishing...

"I din't see where it went, an I don't fancy sneaking down der on me own, I'll take a sneg if'n I ad some 'elp. Dats provided we cun ger across." Mardred finishes.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases