The Forges of the Mountain King Chapter 1- Bottom's Up!

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Pissed that his kill was stolen by his team member (not really, but let`s say I am..), Krogan zeroes in the remaining stirge. The sound of his wings starts to annoy him more than those damn statues, but this he can manage.. with this sound he can do something about it. He remembered the game his father played with him when he was a kid... he would jump as high as he can, while his father would keep something delicious attached on a peace of stick, laughing his ass off while Krogan tried to grab it. Actually, he was furious at his father right now, and he decided that this Stirge will be a suitable target for payback!
With the running start, Krogan stretches his arms, positions his axe in upward motion and with the precision of a cat, takes down the wretched Stirge...
OOC: :):):):) I got critical.. Is that (2d12+6)30+ 1d12 dmg?.

CRUNCH!

And that's the end of that, the final Stirge departs in several directions at once, Krogan grins.

[sblock=Combat]

Encounter #1 The Once Mighty Tower

Turn: 3

Initiative (* = Next to play)

24 Stirge #1
20 Thorgrim
19 Kazzagin
18 Scorpion
10 Krogan
9 Mardred
8 Cinara
7 Len

HP & Conditions

PCs
Cinara 29/17.
Kazzagin 31/31
Krogan 34/10 Bloodied.
Len 29/29
Mardred 25/25
Thorgrim 33/26

Monsters

Fire Beetle #1 Damage 37 Hit Points- DEAD.
Fire Beetle #2 Damage 37 Hit Points- DEAD.
Stirge #1 Damage 41 Hit Points- DEAD.
Stirge #2 Damage 31 Hit Points- DEAD.
Scorpion Damage 37 Hit Points- DEAD.

Actions To Date

Turn #1

Thorgrim- Draw Waraxe. Move to AK24. Marauder's Rush FB#1- Hit 21 damage & Bloodied.

Kazzagin- Divine Challenge FB#2. Move to AH24. Holy Strike FB#2- Hit 10 damage.

Krogan- Draw Greataxe. Charge- Howling Strike FB#2- Hit 9 damage & Bloodied.

Mardred- Draw Dagger. Move Ambush Trick to AI30. Ranged Basic Dagger with Combat Advantage FB#2- '1' Miss.

Cinara- Draw Warhammer. Move to AH23- INTERRUPTED as stone door collapses, Athletics Check or stuck- Fail. Use Warhammer & Dungeoneering check to lever foot out- Success. Free Shift.

Fire Beetle #1- Fire Spray Thorgrim- Hit 7 Fire damage.

Fire Beetle #2- Fire Spray Kazzagin & Krogan- Hit Krogan only for 9 Fire damage.

Len- Move to AL26. Shield Bash FB#1- Hit 16 damage & DEAD.

Turn #2

Stirge #1- Move (Fly) to AG24. Bite Kazzagin- Miss.

Stirge #2- Move (Fly) to AG27. Bite with Combat Advantage Krogan- Hit 5 damage & Grabbed (DC 12 to Escape) and taking Ongoing 5 HP damage- Blood Drain.

Thorgrim- Move AJ24. Twin Strike with Combat Advantage FB#2- Hit & Hit 18 damage- DEAD.

Kazzagin- Divine Challenge Stirge #1. Divine Mettle Krogan. Holy Strike Stirge #1- Hit 10 damage.

Scorpion- Move AF21. Claws with Combat Advantage Cinara- '20' Hit 8 damage and Grabbed (DC 14 to Escape) and taking Ongoing 5HP Lightning damage.

Krogan- 5HP Blood Drain & Grabbed. Athletics Check to break Grab- Success. Howling Strike Stirge #2- Hit 14 damage & Bloodied.

Mardred- Draw Dagger. Move Ambush Trick to AG29. Ranged Basic Dagger with Combat Advantage & Backstab Stirge #2- 17 damage with Sneak Attack- DEAD.

Cinara- Escape Grab- Success. Scorpion Reactive Sting Cinara- Hit 6 damage & Immobilised & Ongoing 5 Poison damage. Earth's Endurance Scorpion- Hit 9 damage and Pushed 1 back, next attack on Scorpion +1 To Hit. Healing Word +3 HP Self. Save vs Immobilised & Ongoing Poison- Fail.

Len- Move. Charge (with +1 To Hit) Scorpion- Hit 14 damage & Bloodied & Marked.

Turn #3

Stirge #1- Bite Kazzagin- Miss. Shift up 1 square.

Thorgrim- Move AH23. Twin Strike Stirge #1- Miss & Miss.

Kazzagin- Combat Challenge Scorpion. Move AE21. Holy Strike Scorpion- Miss.

Scorpion- Move (Run) away. AoO Kazzagin with Combat Advantage Scorpion- Hit 14 damage- DEAD.

Krogan- Move AH25. Desperate Fury Stirge #1- Miss (Re-roll take 5 HP damage) & '20' Crit- 31 damage- DEAD.

ENCOUNTER COMPLETE.

[/sblock]

And the chamber returns to silence, well.. not quite silence, still the muffled sounds of three of the statues, and the one statue which chants (un-muffled).

Cinara is quickly about her business- "we should take a moment here, I need to recover my spirit, and Krogan looks like he needs a little bit of TLC." Cinara grins.

OOC: Over the next 10 minutes Cinara will use three Healing Words as directed below, please adjust your character sheets for all those using surges.

Mardred wanders over to the hole from which the Beetles emerged, and then eyes the other Dwarves, 'anyone fancy taking a look?' He enquires.

Cinara meanwhile heads back over to the fallen stone portal, "someone give me a hand over here to shift this..." It's going to take quite an effort to move the stone portal but Cinara is certain she wishes to take a look- please help her out, and add any skill checks you are using.

New Map-

The Forges of the Mountain King

OOC: 83 XP each

Walking Dad

First Post
Thorgrim Wildaxe

Thorgrim takes a moment to get his breath normal again as he puts his axes away. His skin still itches, but it seems the burns were less severe than they appeared in the first moment.

"'Take a look?' You mean 'jump down that unstable hole'? Sorry lad, but I'm goin' to help the lass."
Thorgrim says as he moves toward the stone portal and tries his best...

... which isn't much. He must have chosen a very bad point for leverage.

[sblock=OOC]

will use a healing surge during short rest

Hadn't I rolled a 1 last round, too?

[sblock=sheet]
Thorgrim Wildaxe
Played by Walking Dad
Dwarf Ranger Level 1

Perception: 17 Insight: 12 Low-light Vision

AC 14 Fortitude 15 Reflex 12 Will 12
Initiative: +1 Speed: 5
Str 18 Con 16 Dex 13 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8

Hit Points: 33 / 33 Bloodied: 16
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Healing Surge Value: 8 Surges per day: 8 / 9
Milestones: 0.5

Resist:
Saving Throw: +5 vs Poison.

Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1 (Minor Action)

Languages: Common, Dwarven.

Trained Skills: Athletics +8, Dungeoneering +9, Endurance +9, Heal +7, Perception +7.
Other Skills: Acrobatics 0, Arcana 0, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, History +0, Insight +2, Intimidate -1, Nature +2, Religion +0, Stealth 0, Streetwise -1, Thievery 0.

Feats: Toughness, Dwarven Weapon Training.

Traits:
Stand Your Ground- You move 1 less square with Forced Movement, and get an Immediate Saving Throw to avoid being knocked Prone.
Prime Shot- +1 To Hit if closest to enemy with Ranged attack.

At-Will Powers: Standard Actions.
Melee Basic Attack (Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12+6 damage.
Ranged Basic Attack (None):
Maraunder's Rush (Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12+8 damage (Wis bonus included in damage). Can use in place of Charge attack.
Twin Strike (Waraxe & Waraxe) +6 vs AC 1d12+2 damage & +6 vs AC 1d12+2 damage.

At-Will Powers: Minor Actions.
Hunter's Quarry: You designate the nearest enemy as your Quarry and deal an extra 1d6 damage against the creature. The Quarry remains active until the creature is killed or you designate a different enemy as Quarry. Minor Action.

Encounter Powers: Minor Actions.
Off-Hand Strike (Waraxe & Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12+6 damage. Minor Action.
Second Wind: Healing Surge & +2 to all Defences until end of next turn. Minor Action.

Daily Powers: Standard Actions.
Sudden Strike (Waraxe & Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12+2 damage. Regardless of hit or not Shift 1 square and make a secondary attack against the same target. +6 vs AC 2d12+6 damage, and the target is Weakened until the end of your next Round.

Conditions:

[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

hairychin

First Post
Len

Len wipes the gore from his axe and shield, his Pa always told him to put his toys away clean. Whilst sat watching others recuperate, he hears Cibara talking about lift ing something, and remembers 'I'm good at that'. So goes over to lend a hand or two.

OOC: Look at those biceps
OOC:

Pinotage

Explorer
No sooner had the last stirge fallen that Kazzagin takes a step or two forward to check on Cinara's health. It appears that the dwarf's injuries are not that severe and enough for her to continue. He looks to Mardred when the question comes. "The be good. If the beetles be taking down others before us, there be clues in the bodies that may be down that hole. I think we be looking. You be going." He pointed the stained battleaxe at Mardred before strapping it away and removing his heavy shield.

"I be having rope," he continued, "We can be lowering you down, so that we can be pulling you up again, be it needed." He removed a rope from his heavy pack and then stood near the edge of the hole. "I hope it be not too deep, or be unstable," he remarked before handing Mardred the one end of the rope. "Be safe, squire," he said.

OOC: Strength Check to assist Madred down the hole.

[SBLOCK=Kazzagin]Kazzagin
Played by Pinotage
Dwarf Paladin of Pelor Level 1 (XP: 83)

Perception: 11 Insight: 16 Low-light Vision

AC 20 Fortitude 15 Reflex 13 Will 13
Initiative: 0 Speed: 5
Str 18 Con 16 Dex 10 Int 8 Wis 13 Cha 14

Hit Points: 31 / 31 Bloodied: 15
Healing Surge: 7 Surges per day: 13 / 13

Resist:

Trained Skills: Heal +6, Insight +6, Intimidate +7, Religion +4.
Other Skills: Acrobatics -4, Arcana -1, Athletics 0, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +1, History -1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Stealth -4, Streetwise +2, Thievery -4.

Feats: Weapon Expertise (Axe).

Traits:
Stand Your Ground- You move 1 less square with Forced Movement, and get an Immediate Saving Throw to avoid being knocked Prone.

Melee Basic Attack (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 damage.
Ranged Basic Attack (Hand Axe): Range 5/10 +7 vs AC 1d6+4 damage.
Holy Strike (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 Radiant damage. If you marked the target it takes an 1 (Wis Bonus) damage.
Valiant Strike (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 damage. +1 To Hit per enemy adjacent to you.

Divine Challenge: One target in Close Burst 5. The target is Marked by you. The target must include you in any attack it makes, if it fails to do so it takes 5 (3 + Cha Bonus) Radiant damage. The mark lasts until you mark a different creature, or if you do not attack the target or do not end your turn adjacent to the target. You can only use this power once/Turn. Minor Action.
Lay on Hands: You can use this power 1/day (Wis Bonus). You spend a Healing Surge but regain no Hit Points, one ally you touch regains Hit Points as if they had spent a Healing Surge. Minor Action.

Encounter Powers: Standard Actions.
Radiant Smite (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 2d10+5 Radiant damage (including Wis Bonus to damage).

Divine Mettle: One creature in Close Burst 10 makes a Save with a +2 (Cha Bonus) bonus. This is a Channel Divinity Power- you can only use one Channel Divinity Power per Encounter. Minor Action.
Divine Strength: You apply +4 (Str Bonus) to your next damage roll this turn. This is a Channel Divinity Power- you can only use one Channel Divinity Power per Encounter. Minor Action.
Second Wind: Healing Surge & +2 to all Defences until end of next turn. Minor Action.

Paladin's Judgement (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 3d10+4 damage and one ally within 5 squares can spend a Healing Surge. Miss: One ally within 5 squares can spend an a Healing Surge.

Conditions:

Equipment: Plate Armor, Heavy Shield, Battleaxe, Handaxe (4), Adventurer's Kit (Backpack, Bedroll, Flint and Steel, Belt Pouch, Trail Rations (10), Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Sunrods (2), Waterskin), Holy Symbol (Pelor), Torch (4), Oil (Pint) (6), Lantern, Climber's Kit, Trail Rations (10), Waterskin, Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Sunrods (4)

Gold: 39 gp 6 sp[/SBLOCK]

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Thorgrim Wildaxe

Thorgrim takes a moment to get his breath normal again as he puts his axes away. His skin still itches, but it seems the burns were less severe than they appeared in the first moment.

"'Take a look?' You mean 'jump down that unstable hole'? Sorry lad, but I'm goin' to help the lass."
Thorgrim says as he moves toward the stone portal and tries his best...

... which isn't much. He must have chosen a very bad point for leverage.

[sblock=OOC]

will use a healing surge during short rest

Hadn't I rolled a 1 last round, too?

[/sblock]

Len wipes the gore from his axe and shield, his Pa always told him to put his toys away clean. Whilst sat watching others recuperate, he hears Cibara talking about lift ing something, and remembers 'I'm good at that'. So goes over to lend a hand or two.

OOC: Look at those biceps
OOC:
OOC:
OOC:

Thorgrim seems to have worked out the point of leverage, where best to grip the thing... only, well. Thorgrim puffs out his cheeks and... oh something just went, suddenly dizzy- need to sit down now.

Thorgrim sits down quickly arrayed before him a vast vista of stars- no, not a meditative effect, but tiny twinkling bursting, popping molecules of pain. Thorgrim surreptitiously feels around his groin area, it seems his hernia is back- and beginning to exert its power once again.

OOC: Never remind the DM you've rolled two '1's in a row with physical checks- there's bound to be some fallout. Thorgrim will be walking funny for the next thirty minutes in game.

Meanwhile Len stomps over, spits on his hands and lifts first one-half, and then the other half of the stone portal out of the way- he barely breaks a sweat.

Beneath the stone portal is a low hollow, a nest of sorts- the scorpions lair- within which, for all to see are two items-

A heavy leather sack, split in places, from which coins tumble- gold and silver, a little while later you get to count them- 235 silver pieces, 15 gold pieces and 1 platinum piece (the platinum piece a Tannheim coin- adding to its value).

The second item is a battleaxe, scratch that a beautiful battleaxe- the edge of the blade seeming dipped in a stylised bluish flame- Dwarven runes run the course of its intricately carved haft, they read 'Aim True'.

So beautiful is the axe that it fair takes Len's breath away...

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
No sooner had the last stirge fallen that Kazzagin takes a step or two forward to check on Cinara's health. It appears that the dwarf's injuries are not that severe and enough for her to continue. He looks to Mardred when the question comes. "The be good. If the beetles be taking down others before us, there be clues in the bodies that may be down that hole. I think we be looking. You be going." He pointed the stained battleaxe at Mardred before strapping it away and removing his heavy shield.

"I be having rope," he continued, "We can be lowering you down, so that we can be pulling you up again, be it needed." He removed a rope from his heavy pack and then stood near the edge of the hole. "I hope it be not too deep, or be unstable," he remarked before handing Mardred the one end of the rope. "Be safe, squire," he said.

OOC: Strength Check to assist Madred down the hole.

"Moradin's knee caps... What the- I'm going, I'm going."

Kazzagin helps Mardred down the hole- the Dwarven Rogue disappears from sight for a second- heads off somewhere left, then reappears, heads off somewhere right and disappears again.

There's a noise form down the hole- Mardred is saying something, only you can't quite make out what it is... You strain to hear, playing out a little more of the rope.

What follows next is much easier to hear.

Mardred screams...

There follows a 'WHUMP' noise and the hole before collapses in upon itself.

Clearly the tunnels below have or are collapsing also.

OOC: Kazzagin you need to make an appropriate skill check- Athletics or Acrobatics to avoid being sucked in to the hole with the collapse- possibly buried to your waist.

Others need to make checks (with whatever skills you deem fit) to get Mardred out- remember Mardred has a rope tied around his waist, and Kazzagin holds the rope.

Quickly your squire cannot breath and is being crushed down there.

GM: HP and Surges after first Encounter are as follows-
Cinara 29/29 Surges 10/8
Kazzagin 31/31 Surges 13/13
Krogan 34/29 Surges 10/8
Len 29/29 Surges 11/11
Mardred 25/25 Surges 7/7
Thorgrim 33/33 Surges 9/8

Last edited:

Ressurectah

First Post
Krogan

Krogan will whip the yellow gunk from his many notched greataxe. Satisfied that he managed to pulverize that annoying bird, with a big smile he started to take out Threeways out of the sack, so that the little creature could share his enjoyment with battle over in their favor. While doing so, Krogan heard the screams of Mardred and quickly rushed to help Kazzagin with the rope and his balance.

larryfinnjr

First Post
Cinara

"Madred!"

Fearful that not only the floor below might be collapsing on the thief, Cinara is worried that our own floor could fall in as well. <fast Dungeoneering check to determine if we may be at risk, too> [edit - obviously I know nothing of Tannheim construction efforts!]

Knowing she doesn't have as much to add with physically aiding those rushing to the rope, Cinara kneels down, places her hand upon the ground, closes her eyes, and whispers a prayer to the Great Forge and calls upon the stone to speak, looking for Madred's exact location below. <Stone Speak, +5 to percep to detect hidden creatures, with a hope she can reach out to him for a likely much-needed Healing Word across the gap.>

OOC: Gents, my sincere apologies for missing all the fun, but a family emergency came up that coincided with my parents' visit. I apologize for my sudden dissappearance, but as of today, I'm back on the grid. I've done my best to catch up on what I've missed...seems Cinara's been slacking as much as her owner. :) If there's a chance for a quick, succinct summary of what happened since getting to the front door, I'd reaaaly appreciate it.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Thorgrim Wildaxe

...Meanwhile Len stomps over, spits on his hands and lifts first one-half, and then the other half of the stone portal out of the way- he barely breaks a sweat...

Thorgrim breaths heavily before saying:
"'Gahd thin' I loosened for yah, right?"

What follows next is much easier to hear.

Mardred screams...

There follows a 'WHUMP' noise and the hole before collapses in upon itself.

"I said that damned thin' isn't secure. Hold on, Kazz!"

Thorgrim bellows as he moves as quickly as his can at the moment to hold the dwarf fast. But he stumbles and falls on the floor just before the hole...

[sblock=OOC]

He is cursed...

[sblock=sheet]
Thorgrim Wildaxe
Played by Walking Dad
Dwarf Ranger Level 1

Perception: 17 Insight: 12 Low-light Vision

AC 14 Fortitude 15 Reflex 12 Will 12
Initiative: +1 Speed: 5
Str 18 Con 16 Dex 13 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8

Hit Points: 33 / 33 Bloodied: 16
Healing Surge Value: 8 Surges per day: 8 / 9
Milestones: 0.5

Resist:

Trained Skills: Athletics +8, Dungeoneering +9, Endurance +9, Heal +7, Perception +7.
Other Skills: Acrobatics 0, Arcana 0, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, History +0, Insight +2, Intimidate -1, Nature +2, Religion +0, Stealth 0, Streetwise -1, Thievery 0.

Feats: Toughness, Dwarven Weapon Training.

Traits:
Prime Shot- +1 To Hit if closest to enemy with Ranged attack.

Melee Basic Attack (Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12+6 damage.
Ranged Basic Attack (None):
Maraunder's Rush (Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12+8 damage (Wis bonus included in damage). Can use in place of Charge attack.
Twin Strike (Waraxe & Waraxe) +6 vs AC 1d12+2 damage & +6 vs AC 1d12+2 damage.

Hunter's Quarry: You designate the nearest enemy as your Quarry and deal an extra 1d6 damage against the creature. The Quarry remains active until the creature is killed or you designate a different enemy as Quarry. Minor Action.

Off-Hand Strike (Waraxe & Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12+6 damage. Minor Action.

Sudden Strike (Waraxe & Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12+2 damage. Regardless of hit or not Shift 1 square and make a secondary attack against the same target. +6 vs AC 2d12+6 damage, and the target is Weakened until the end of your next Round.

Conditions:

[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Pinotage

Explorer
Kazzagin

Everything started to happen really quickly. "Mardred!" Kazzagin called as the squire started screaming down in the hole. It wasn't like Mardred to scream like some elf woman, so something must be amiss. Half a thought of jumping down into the hole crossed his mind before he remembered the rope and started to pull as hard as he could. "Come on! You be coming out!" He grunted and strained, while his feet slipped ever closer to the hole itself.

OOC: Athletics Check to keep hold of Mardred and prevent himself from slipping into the hole. I've only included the Armor Check Penalty for his plate armor, as he is not currently using his shield.

[SBLOCK=Kazzagin]Kazzagin
Played by Pinotage
Dwarf Paladin of Pelor Level 1 (XP: 83)

Perception: 11 Insight: 16 Low-light Vision

AC 20 Fortitude 15 Reflex 13 Will 13
Initiative: 0 Speed: 5
Str 18 Con 16 Dex 10 Int 8 Wis 13 Cha 14

Hit Points: 31 / 31 Bloodied: 15
Healing Surge: 7 Surges per day: 13 / 13

Resist:

Trained Skills: Heal +6, Insight +6, Intimidate +7, Religion +4.
Other Skills: Acrobatics -4, Arcana -1, Athletics 0, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +1, History -1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Stealth -4, Streetwise +2, Thievery -4.

Feats: Weapon Expertise (Axe).

Traits:

Melee Basic Attack (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 damage.
Ranged Basic Attack (Hand Axe): Range 5/10 +7 vs AC 1d6+4 damage.
Holy Strike (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 Radiant damage. If you marked the target it takes an 1 (Wis Bonus) damage.
Valiant Strike (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 damage. +1 To Hit per enemy adjacent to you.

Divine Challenge: One target in Close Burst 5. The target is Marked by you. The target must include you in any attack it makes, if it fails to do so it takes 5 (3 + Cha Bonus) Radiant damage. The mark lasts until you mark a different creature, or if you do not attack the target or do not end your turn adjacent to the target. You can only use this power once/Turn. Minor Action.
Lay on Hands: You can use this power 1/day (Wis Bonus). You spend a Healing Surge but regain no Hit Points, one ally you touch regains Hit Points as if they had spent a Healing Surge. Minor Action.

Encounter Powers: Standard Actions.
Radiant Smite (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 2d10+5 Radiant damage (including Wis Bonus to damage).

Divine Mettle: One creature in Close Burst 10 makes a Save with a +2 (Cha Bonus) bonus. This is a Channel Divinity Power- you can only use one Channel Divinity Power per Encounter. Minor Action.
Divine Strength: You apply +4 (Str Bonus) to your next damage roll this turn. This is a Channel Divinity Power- you can only use one Channel Divinity Power per Encounter. Minor Action.

Paladin's Judgement (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 3d10+4 damage and one ally within 5 squares can spend a Healing Surge. Miss: One ally within 5 squares can spend an a Healing Surge.

Conditions:

Equipment: Plate Armor, Heavy Shield, Battleaxe, Handaxe (4), Adventurer's Kit (Backpack, Bedroll, Flint and Steel, Belt Pouch, Trail Rations (10), Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Sunrods (2), Waterskin), Holy Symbol (Pelor), Torch (4), Oil (Pint) (6), Lantern, Climber's Kit, Trail Rations (10), Waterskin, Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Sunrods (4)

Gold: 39 gp 6 sp[/SBLOCK]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases